Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 07-13-2014, 10:10 AM   #1

seats

Yesterday I was out riding with some friends. They have tried new seats and having their stock seat modified and are still unconfortable in the seats on the 1500's and 1600's.

Here’s something that I thought about that may work for you guys. On a hard wooden kitchen chair you normally put a pad on the chair and you can sit there for hours. The pads for kitchen chairs are memory foam and are available at BJs cheap. They come in a 4 pack. Get a 4 pack and start with one pad. If one pad isn’t enough add a second. You will find exactly what you need for padding in your seat this way and it will be much more comfortable in the end when you find the exact thickness that you need. You can glue the foam pads together with spray adhesive like 3M. On my kitchen chair it seems that 2 pads would be the same comfort level that I get from the bike seat. I ride my bike 10 - 12 hours on the stock seat without problems and could go longer if I had to. Each seat is different for each person but figuring out the amount of memory foam that you need to be comfortable can be cheap. The trick is to get the padding to where it comfortable but not a couch.

If you have a hard wooden chair in your house you can try it in the house without gluing anything and figure out what padding allows you to sit longer. My guess is it would be 2 to 3 pads for someone in the 180 - 200 lb. range.

2010 Nomad 1700
Metallic Diablo Black/Metallic Titanium

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-13-2014, 02:06 PM   #2

I have "adjusted" my stock seat many times and never got it to where I wanted.
I bought a used Ultimate seat on Ebay and have reworked it about 8 or 9 times. It is now very comfortable for the 250 to 350 miles I usually ride.
I have learned from experience that the more layers of foam you put in the seat the cover gets tighter and compresses the foam. This gives a firmer feel than just sitting on the same layers of foam placed on a chair.
Just something to keep in mind
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 07-13-2014, 03:59 PM   #3

I found the full size chair with padding added, I just stuck the whole darn thing on the bike.
See Brad's secret spy pic in another thread.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 07-13-2014, 07:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
I have "adjusted" my stock seat many times and never got it to where I wanted.
I bought a used Ultimate seat on Ebay and have reworked it about 8 or 9 times. It is now very comfortable for the 250 to 350 miles I usually ride.
I have learned from experience that the more layers of foam you put in the seat the cover gets tighter and compresses the foam. This gives a firmer feel than just sitting on the same layers of foam placed on a chair.
Just something to keep in mind
They are covered. These cushions are ½ - 1 inch thick and compress to about ⅛". If they became just a little firmer stuck together with the cover on that may be a good thing. You would need less cushions by 1. It's just a cheap way to experiment.

2010 Nomad 1700
Metallic Diablo Black/Metallic Titanium