Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 04-07-2009, 01:09 PM   #1

Touchy/Feely

Well I finally got back to the dealer,and saw the 09 Nomads,,The Black one was still in the box,,,the 2 tone Red/Cream was on the floor... IMO VERY nice PAINT.. REAL nice looking up close and personal.. The Bags,,,Well LOOK better then the Pics of them,, Tight to the frame,,, NICE... as for being thin and flimsy.. NOPE.. They felt pretty solid,, maybe not Old Style Nomad solid,, but real close,,,,,,, I would have sat on it BUT Its sold to someone,PLUS I still have a hard time getting my leg over the seat..DONT want to scratch someones bike!
My Dealer told me May was the expected date of the Voyager.. I heard May/June on VROC I think... BUT all in all from what I see on the Nomad, I HAVE to see the Voyager,, wont buy this year..well dont plan on buying it LOL......Rich

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-07-2009, 02:13 PM   #2
Mega-Contributor

Touchy/Feely

Rich, did you notice the way the front inside of the bags curve around the shock absorber? They took a big bite out of them there. I don't care for that at all. They almost look like aftermarket add-ons. I don't think the quality of the bags is that bad, but they lost a lot of practical space compared to the 1500/1600 Nomads.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 04-07-2009, 02:50 PM   #3

Touchy/Feely

I am anxious to see one in person. Based on the 1700 Classic I did see I know the bike is not for me, but still would like to see one! :-/
2007 Honda ST1300 (sold)
2005 Kawasaki Nomad (sold)
2004 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
http://www.strobel.ws
VBA #01021
VROC #29389

Old 04-07-2009, 06:53 PM   #4

Touchy/Feely

CJ, yea I noticed a few things with the Bags,They do seem alittle smaller as well,, BUT to see it up close was Great,, I LOVE the 2 tone Red/Cream....And The bags do look good on the bike,,,Now to play with the Voyager whenever it arrives :) BUT I will keep my 04 Nomad for at least 2 more years,,,,,,,,,,
Strobe
I saw the Classic last week,,It is very nice,, LOVE the paint,, Looks well made,,only thing I dislike about all the 1700 is their MPG. I ride distance ,, so less gas stops the better.... 36 MPG does not impress me,,, and the OUTDATED HD Motors get 50 mpg! why??? LOL
, Rich

Old 04-07-2009, 08:01 PM   #5

Touchy/Feely

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Rich, did you notice the way the front inside of the bags curve around the shock absorber? They took a big bite out of them there. I don't care for that at all. They almost look like aftermarket add-ons. I don't think the quality of the bags is that bad, but they lost a lot of practical space compared to the 1500/1600 Nomads.
I would agree too. I saw one today at local dealer who had one red/creme and it was sold. Plus I'm not sold on the top loader of this design because the top is about 40 percent of the bag volume. So this means you get to stack your load and try to hold it in place while closing the lid.

I did notice a couple of things no one has mentioned the rubber on the floorboards are not mount solid like the 1600, they are like on springs. The backrest also has rubber grommets to reduce vibrations. Which is interesting because we had a thread here around backrest vibes.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-08-2009, 12:49 AM   #6
Top Contributor

Touchy/Feely

Are the rear floorboards spring loaded?? I sat on a 1700LT and noticed the floorboard. The LT has pegs for the passenger also on the right side cover has a rubber insert so your boot doesn't markup the chrome.
The dealer said when the voyager comes in they will call so I can test drive it
74,010miles
VBA #299
Her's 10 900LT 36,700

09 Bath NY.
10 Lake George NY.
11 National Maggie Valley NC.
12 Pa Wilds (Wellsboro) Pa.
14 Lincoln NH.
17 National Lake George NY.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:08 PM   #7

Touchy/Feely

Saw the new Nomad in person at the "stealer" today. It was sold -- couldn't sit on it.

Looked better than I was thinking it would. The bag's "thickness" is more than I was suspecting; however -- the lid still puts pressure on the outside wall of the bag when opened.

I promise there will be problems with the bag's sturdiness eventually. You will be hearing about "tearing" or "cracking" of the outside wall of the bags due to the stress on them from opening the lids -- and it wouldn't take much for someone to bump up against an open lid and crack the sidewall.

Sorry; but I was going to buy the Voyager -- but will wait till the bags are fixed.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 04-09-2009, 08:01 PM   #8

Touchy/Feely

I have a copy of the 2009 Vulcan Brochure, and noticed the warranty on the back page. I don't understand why its different for the three models, but it makes good sense to buy the Voyager in my opinion, it has a three year warranty, whereas the Nomad is two years and the classic only a one year. I think if the bags or fairing are going to break, most likely it will be within the three years.
Is the warranty the same in the states?

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 04-09-2009, 08:43 PM   #9
Top Contributor

Touchy/Feely

I have a copy of the 2009 Vulcan Brochure just for the 1700cc and the warranty is as you say.
74,010miles
VBA #299
Her's 10 900LT 36,700

09 Bath NY.
10 Lake George NY.
11 National Maggie Valley NC.
12 Pa Wilds (Wellsboro) Pa.
14 Lincoln NH.
17 National Lake George NY.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:12 AM   #10

Touchy/Feely

Thats quite an improvement for us up here, prior to this year the Vulcans series only had a 12 month warranty.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 04-10-2009, 10:49 PM   #11

Touchy/Feely

Got to sit on one the other day at the dealer. They offered to let me take it for a ride but didn't have the time, I know, but wife was at the hospital and had to get back. Going back this weekend to take them up on it if it is still there. Yes there is a big cutout in the bags around the shock, salesman pointed it out and said it was for easier access to the air nozzle, which it is. Bags seem really small and I'd call them flimsy, but maybe strong enough. No goat's bladder. Alternator(s?) are water cooled. The feel of the grips was good, closer together and set back compared to the 1600, doubt if anyone will be installing risers, felt real good. Belt seems really exposed for those worrying about picking up a rock or other debris. Seat riding up on the tank looks a little strange. Don't like the black rear brake reservoir and the horn looks wimpier than ever but didn't hear it. Overall looks okay, won't deter new buyers, especially if not hung up on the earlier style, which I am. Can't help but think that with the belt, 6-sp, and slightly bigger engine that it will have a good punch.

Old 04-11-2009, 07:36 AM   #12

Touchy/Feely

Ells.. Sorry to hear about your wife being in the hospital! Best wishs and prayers out to a fast recovery.!!!!

I LOVE the NEW Paint,, and like the style,, NOT 100% happy with the Bags as our Old Style bags are Better made and have their own style.. Like a HD.. YOU can spot the Bags on a HD and a 08 and down Nomad from miles away... The new bags are to Yamaha style,, I wont be trading in my 04 Nomad for one yet.. Maybe in a few years but not son :) The Vuyager does have my attention,,but again not ready to buy yet!!! Again BEST wishs to your wife,,,,,,,Rich

Old 04-11-2009, 08:13 AM   #13

Touchy/Feely

Rich, thanks for the words of concern, I should have mentioned that it was just a minor routine thing, she's fine.

Will see if the offer of a '09 ride is still good today. I agree that the Nomad has lost a significant distinguishing feature , was always the first thing I looked for too.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:30 AM   #14

Touchy/Feely

Ells glad to hear it was only a minor issue for the wife,,

Old 04-11-2009, 09:12 PM   #15

Touchy/Feely

Good comments. Glad to see some of us are getting to actually ride them and some owners of the new models are joining us.

I can get past the bag issue (especially if I get a trunk with the Voyager) as long as I can get the bike modified enough to be as comfortable as my 2003 Nad.

We will see how the economy and my wallet are doing in a couple years and after Maw Kaw works out any bugs in the new model.
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina