Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 02-23-2009, 10:29 PM   #16

1700 Voyager Review

+1
Totally agree Netnorske.

Audiogooroo - Daryl Porter
Colorado Springs, CO
VBA #248
VROC #17261
1999 Grn/Grn Nomad

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-24-2009, 08:26 AM   #17

1700 Voyager Review

Netnorske,

If they made all those changes you mentioned they'd call it a "voyager" not a Nomad. haha.

I personally think the voyager is a great looking bike. I haven't seen it in the "flesh" but the pic's I've seen are very nice. I'm glad Kawa isn't rushing it to market. It appears that they ARE listening to all of us. My next bike is going to be a true touring bike and that is in the running right now.

vin

Old 02-24-2009, 08:45 AM   #18

1700 Voyager Review

When, I saw the Voyager at the show, I took some time to look it over. I liked the look, the fit and feel, the accessories, and the idea of 108 ft. lbs. Only thing missing is a ride on one. If it rides as good as it feels, and if some changes happen with the plastics (or some strong garantees and assurances) I'd be all over it. Even sell both bikes to get one. Although, probably not first year. But, those are some pretty big if's.

Old 02-28-2009, 04:03 AM   #19

1700 Voyager Review

You know - This displacement thing just keeps bugging me. I know ft lbs always sounds really cool and they feel even better. My last bike had nearly 100 ft lbs out the factory door and a 200 rear. I loved riding that bike, but as I started bumping up my touring and realized I loved to GO, the bike did not fit the bill for me. That wide tire I had to replace every 5000 miles or so. I'm not a real hot rodder, I like the lean, not the straight shots. I tried a couple of different brands, but it never seemed to make that big of a difference. I think like everything in life, the pendulum can swing too far in a direction. Right now everyone is going bigger in their displacements. I bought my 2003 because it is such a well balanced bike. It's not an asphalt shredder, but it moves when I ask it to. I notice almost no power loss on the rare occassions my wife rides on the back (she has her own and it is an ashalt shredder). I can tour on the back roads and the bike handles superbly. I can cruise the interstate at 80 and the bike is rock solid. My plan is to ride my Nomad for the next two to four years and then find a well cared for 1600 that I will ride.

There are many things about the new 1700's that appeal to me. Mainly the belt drive and 6 speed. As well as the looks of the Venture (still haven't made up my mind on the bags, but they definately look better on the Vent.) But my suggestion to the guys who really travel a lot of miles in a year: Be careful of the large displacement, high torque motors in your TOURING bikes. They are really cool on choppers and pro street style bikes. But you will be putting ALOT more money into your tires. Just my .02 for the guys that have their mouths already watering over the size of that motor.

Old 02-28-2009, 05:11 AM   #20
Advanced Member

1700 Voyager Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by yridehd
But my suggestion to the guys who really travel a lot of miles in a year: Be careful of the large displacement, high torque motors in your TOURING bikes. They are really cool on choppers and pro street style bikes. But you will be putting ALOT more money into your tires. Just my .02 for the guys that have their mouths already watering over the size of that motor.

Bring on the torque...... and join the darkside.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-28-2009, 07:56 PM   #21

1700 Voyager Review

I made a post in another sub forum about the Voyager, but I'll add a few comments here too if you fine folks don't mind.

In regards to the prototypes being destroyed, that's a very common practice. It's a liability thing. If a preproduction prototype were to end up in the hands of John Q. Public and he got hurt, the factory would be in a world of hurt.

I'm hoping, praying actually, that those $h!tty bags that were on the show mules I saw in Greenville were mock ups and not final production pieces. Yamaha hard bags are bad enough, those things were embarrassing. Same deal about the fairing lowers, surely they were just mock ups.

The bike wasn't that comfortable to my wife and I to be honest. The seat felt like it was trying to swallow me and my wife said the seat on our Nomad was more comfortable and after only a few minutes sitting on it complained of her lower back hurting her. On the other hand, when she settled into the 'queens throne' of the 1800 'Wing all I heard was "ahhhhhh". The true test will be riding one. If they ever get to us you can bet the first one will be serviced and I'll be going for a ride!

I had a long talk with a rep too, and didn't let on at first that I worked at a dealership or that I currently ride a Nomad, I walked away furious. He actually told me that the reason they went away from the side loader bags and shaft drive were to attract the "wanna be Harley guys" and went on to say that "they weren't trying to impress the Nomad guys, we've already got them"! I wish you could have seen the look on his face when I fessed up to my place of employment and what one of my rides is. I've been meaning to call our area rep and let him in on what happened, but what can he do except make excuses for the man?

Old 03-02-2009, 12:10 AM   #22

1700 Voyager Review

You know Bruce....that fires me up! - They've already got the Nomad guys?! Sorry, but I have owned each of the three japanese brands. I bought my Nomad because pound for pound, dollar for dollar it smokes the competition. I have never seen a comparison test the Nomad hasn't come out on top. Why the hell would they assume that I would just automatically stay with a bike because it says "Nomad" on the side. That's like Harley saying "you'll buy our bikes because we are Harley" Thats exactly what folks do. They buy a Harley at the expense of performance, technology, reliability, and price. Isn't that kind of a circular thought pattern on Kawasaki's part.

Kawasaki is shooting themselves in the foot by simply trying to attract more "Harley guys". They could take a lesson from Star and Victory! They are building great bikes with their own styling, motors, and image.

All right saying that I'll count to ten.......there. My guess is that freakin' idiot you talked to was just that..an idiot and has probably spent more time on a Ninja than any Kaw cruiser. Still it sounds like he was speaking a little above his pay grade.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:00 PM   #23

1700 Voyager Review

Yeah, it p!$$ed me off too. I just considered the source and like you figured that he was just some jack leg that drew the short straw and had to work the show.

But in all honesty it isn't the first time a 'company representative' took a dump in his hat with me. One of these days I'll have to share some experiences from the Honda show in Chicago and when I went to "New Dealer Training" at the 'Honda Campus' in Torrence, California. Sheesh.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:23 PM   #24
Top Contributor

1700 Voyager Review

there is NO good color choice IMO.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:14 PM   #25

1700 Voyager Review

I like the blue but not with the black. The top loader bags is a huge turnoff for me. I would like to here what their thinking was in increasing the engine size and decreasing the fuel capacity. You would think if they were trying for a more hardcore tourer they would increase the range by adding a larger tank.

As far as the comment about "going after the Harley guys", are we really supposed to believe that a bunch of designers in Japan really give a rats ass about Harley when their bike is rated better in every comparison. I would bet that rep has a fatboy in his garage for August trips to Sturgis.

Old 03-08-2009, 05:01 AM   #26

1700 Voyager Review

I'm sure if you ask a lot of owner's on here, they are like me - The most common compliment I get from other riders of all bikes is, "Man I really like those bags, they really follow the lines of the bike and the shape of the fender". They have to be the best combination of style and storage. Why Change? William Tango Foxtrot Ocean?

Old 03-14-2009, 09:22 AM   #27

1700 Voyager Review

I hate to be the "other guy" with a different opinion but from what I've seen, I like the looks of the Voyager. I think it has really nice lines. I think the bags compliment it like the bags on our Nomads compliment the Nomad. Two different bikes as far as I'm concerned. I would love to ride one and see if it rides as nice as it looks. I'm going to be purchasing another bike in the next year or so and right now the Voyager is definately in the running.Considering a Wing too.

vin

Old 03-16-2009, 10:17 AM   #28

1700 Voyager Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightdoc
I hate to be the "other guy" with a different opinion but from what I've seen, I like the looks of the Voyager. I think it has really nice lines. I think the bags compliment it like the bags on our Nomads compliment the Nomad. Two different bikes as far as I'm concerned. I would love to ride one and see if it rides as nice as it looks. I'm going to be purchasing another bike in the next year or so and right now the Voyager is definately in the running.Considering a Wing too.

vin
+1

Old 03-16-2009, 12:00 PM   #29

1700 Voyager Review

Bobz...you and I must be the only ones agreeing on this??? If you get to see one in person or get to ride one PLEEAASSEE let us know. I will too.

vin

Old 03-16-2009, 09:00 PM   #30

1700 Voyager Review

Davidjones on the Voyager at Biketoberfest last October:

CoachA on the Voyager:

2003 BMW K1200LT "Magic Carpet" DOA 11/7/2015
VBA #00291
IBA # 41995
DS #320
'08 Elkins, WV; '09 Helen, GA; '09 Custer, SD; '10 Stanton, VA; '11 Maggie Valley; '12 Townsend, TN; '13 Estes Park; '13 Blairsville, GA; '15 Eureka Springs; '16 Helen; '18 Custer, SD