Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 05-02-2009, 07:12 PM   #166
Mega-Contributor

1700 Nomad Discussion........

I am looking forward to hearing more about the 1700's. I based my decision to purchase my 2007 heavily on the information I found here. I'm in no hurry to get rid of my bike, but I'm sure there are others who may be "on the fence", and feedback from 1700 owners would probably be a benefit to them.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-06-2009, 01:15 PM   #167

I'm with you CJ. I love my Nomad and have no plan to get rid of it but my wife always comments on how comfy a goldwing looks so I know my next bike will have to be a full tourer so I am very interested in the Nomad\Voyager platform.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:53 PM   #168

Here's where I guess we add our own 2 cents...
Regarding break-in routines, I've followed the manufacturer's for each of the 5 new bikes that I purchased. They were all the same dispite 3 of the 5 being Hondas. Don't go over 60 in 5th (70 in 6th :) until you knock off your first 500. During that times try not to maintain any 1 speed for too long of a period. It sounds like they want you to stretch their legs gradually through all the RPM ranges but also maximixe the lights of the cams while braking it in. Then change the oil 500 mikes in and THEN you can consider beating her like you stole her
Petenrudy

Old 05-09-2009, 08:47 AM   #169

Chicken nuggets. ??? You guys are pretty good buddies.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 05-12-2009, 07:12 AM   #170

I thought I would add some comments on what I have found with the new 1700. I have about 700+ miles on it and am really starting to get into the groove of riding it. My other bike is a BMW RTP so It took a couple of rides on the Nomad to figure out where my feet go when I start off. I also had to get used to the foot brake positioning and heel shifter since I have always ridden with pegs. I got a chance to ride in heavy rain and I can say that I didn't get any driving rain behind the windshield. The cruise control is gaining ground in my estimation the more I play with it. I put it on to go down a steep downgrade and it held a steady 50MPH all the way down and back up. I have noticed a lot of not so good first impressions that reverse themselves as you ride. The foot position for one. Another is the seat. At first it seems uncomfortable but the longer you ride the more you discover that it is very amenable to position shifts that keep you comfortable on a long ride. Of course I have started to bling it up. The first thing is a little camoflaged light hiding under the handlebars that I can use in the dark for saddlebag searches or whatever. Then off to WalMart for a chrome bicyle cupholder ($7) and a chrome insolated mug ($25). And this weekend I got some of the stained glass paint (blue) and did the lowers and bottom of the windshield. Next speakers, radio and accessory plug.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-12-2009, 10:16 AM   #171

Lets see some pix of the stained glass paint.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:29 PM   #172

Lots of pages in this thread, whew, I tried to read 'em all but I missed a couple and jumped ahead. Glad to see some owners of the 09s have already posted, I always feel new guys like me should be seen and not heard for a while. Like kids! Or at least the way kids used to be treated.
I'll just mention a few things....for the life of me I can't yet figure out the complaints re the saddlebags. Oh sure, some may not like the shape but as far as sturdiness, I just don't get it. I swear, if you put some cargo straps around those bags you could lift the bike by them, and I'm comin' off a 05 Goldwing and these bags compare just fine to them. I've removed them already and the engineering on the mounting is beautiful.
As far as "denting them, or buckling them with the push of a finger" (which I read) if you're in the mood to do that, I'd suggest you try to do it with the tank, it might be easier. Nope, that one I don't get, they're a high point of the design. Belt drive! Been riding a Victory for close to 5 years and regularly reading the Victory site. Vics are an incredibly fast and powerful bike but busted belts are still treated as a rarity. My SE area is a hotbed of soup up guys on Vics and a couple of them have broken a few but they drag race. A lot! A friend had one go at about 25,000 miles and I think the whole thing cost under $200, including trailering it.
The seat. The first 50 miles I felt like I was on a downhill slope, but then that went away and it is very comfortable. Max so far is about a 150 mile leg and no problems so we'll see, I do some long distance stuff.
I'm 6' tall, 31 inch inseam and the bike feels like a custom made suit. Taller than that? I'd check it out carefully if I were you but this bike is gonna' make a lot of shorter guys very happy.
Power. Look, I've been riding 2 of the faster road bikes out there, a Vegas and a Goldwing. If I was coming off a HD I'd say the Nomad is fast, but not coming off my two previous bikes. That may make new Nomad owners unhappy, but....this Nomad is plenty fast. I love a V twin (more than an opposed 6) and this is one sweet V twin and I have no regrets, about the quality, the engineering, the power and one sweet, sweet ride. And I get the feeling that you can do what you want with that engine and you are not going to stress it
As I do every time before I buy a new bike, I went to the local HD shop, rented a bike (again) rode it for a weekend (again) and passed it up.(again) Its like ex wives and girlfriends, ya' can't go back. And with the great price I got on the Goldwing, the $5 to $6000 difference wouldn't have been a deal breaker.
They haven't yet made the perfect bike in this industry but the Nomad comes close enough for what I want.
I'll try to be more specific about her as I get some milage racked up, but I love this bike.
Thanks for listening
Lets go for a putt!

Old 05-15-2009, 03:03 PM   #173

Amen Putt!

Old 05-15-2009, 10:03 PM   #174

Great writeup Putt. I've never ridden a 1700, just sat on one for about 5 minutes on the showroom floor. I felt like I was sitting closer to the tank than on my '07 but I don't think it would take long for me to get comfortable. You got a great looking bike and you are happy, that's all that matters.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 05-16-2009, 09:44 PM   #175

I've found the seat very comfortable, especially on the longer rides. Once you relax "into it", there's what amounts to a half-size, built in back rest too. :) The bags are very nice, and for those who wonder about the unused portion at top, I figure it's only a matter of time before someone designs some kind of net or shelf where some stuff can be stored in the "top" section more easily. Also, I've found the electronic cruise control to be fantastic--not just on the longer rides, but keeping a constant "35" down the Boulevard while letting the throttle hand relax. I've just gone over 1,500 miles and according to the on-board computer, this one is getting 39.8 mpg. I love my Nomad!

Old 05-20-2009, 04:28 PM   #176

here are my thoughts on the reasons for changeing to belt drive.
1.more horsepower and torque to the rear wheel.this is where
the big cruiser race is amongst the factories.
2. lower cost to manufacture.
3.easier to install a variety of custom wheels which is a big deal
at harley and yamaha and victory.
4. reduced overall bike wieght.
VBA # 745 COG #11621
wheatland,wy.
rallies-custer 09,kalispell 10,crescent city 11,kanab 12,estes park 13,orifino 14.,red lodge 16

2015 ninja 1000 abs
2014 concourse 14
2012 concourse 14-sold
2011 vaquero-sold
2008 nomad-sold
2005 classic-sold