Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 10-27-2020, 06:41 AM   #16

Shouldn't be a tension issue. I do all my own maintenance including tires and I know the belt isn't too tight. Also, there is absolutely no play in the shaft bearings. Shaft rotates smooth and steady.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by Ponitail; 10-27-2020 at 06:43 AM.

Old 10-27-2020, 10:22 PM   #17

I believe a combo. of causes . loss of torque but looks like their tolerances are to loose on the splines on top of the fact that you would expect the shaft to be hard enough that you could loose a sprocket with out damage to the shaft ! Just thoughts

Old 10-28-2020, 12:30 AM   #18

I trust Garry.

He said it was the tab washer compressing... I'll take that, order a couple of new ones, check it more often than I do at the moment, and say a little prayer before I go in there for that check.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 10-28-2020, 06:29 AM   #19

Vulcan Scott, had the exact same thoughts. My dad was wondering if the shaft wasn't heat treated properly.

Old 10-31-2020, 06:50 AM   #20

Best wishes for your Ponitail - Keep us posted...

Smokier

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-31-2020, 08:15 AM   #21

Update on the bike:
On Monday, I spoke with a guy I know. He and his brother owned a Kawasaki dealership for over 20 years and went out of business about 4-5 years ago when things got tough. He give me some pointers on how to handle the situation. He said that even if I contacted ma kaw, they would send me to a dealership. He recommended I call 2 or 3 dealerships and see what type of response I got from them, and use that to determine which dealership to try and work with. He felt that even though the bike is out of warranty that ma kaw would probably do something to help with repairs, either partial or the whole thing.

On wednesday after talking to 3 dealerships I chose one to work with. He asked me to send him the pics I had and if the pics were good he would talk to ma kaw and send them the pics. This guy said he personally had never heard of this happening before but he would see if he could help me out.

So now I'm waiting to see what ma kaw will or won't do.

Old 10-31-2020, 12:03 PM   #22

Good luck Ponitail. Hope Ma Kaw steps up to the plate and helps out. Keep us updated.

Old 01-10-2021, 01:30 PM   #23

Hey Ponitail. Hope all is well with you. Was just wondering if Ma Kaw had replied to help out with the problem or not or if they had any advice. Thanks

Old 01-11-2021, 06:47 AM   #24

I spoke with the dealer the last week of December. The guy told me he still hasn't heard back from Ma Kaw. Said he would let me know as soon as he did. Personally, I think he's yanking my chain. It shouldn't be that hard to make a decision and get back to someone. I may try to contact the company on my own, but I think they're gonna' look the other way.

Old 01-11-2021, 02:07 PM   #25

Just tossing it out there but have you looked into purchasing an extended warrantee. I think Bonvoyager got one even after his had expired. Not from Ma Kaw though.

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 01-11-2021, 03:45 PM   #26

Hey Ponitail. Thanks for the reply. Hope you get an answer soon. Spring isn't that far away.

Old 01-13-2021, 03:46 PM   #27
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponitail View Post
I spoke with the dealer the last week of December. The guy told me he still hasn't heard back from Ma Kaw. Said he would let me know as soon as he did. Personally, I think he's yanking my chain. It shouldn't be that hard to make a decision and get back to someone. I may try to contact the company on my own, but I think they're gonna' look the other way.
So call the factory and ask them for the case number. It will be referenced to the serial number for your skoot. If the dealer contacted the factory a case number would have been assigned to your case. If a number hasn't been made, you can start the process. Then the dealer will be put on notice.

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Old 01-13-2021, 07:01 PM   #28

Let me get this straight. If the drive pully splines fail as in this instance, the engine has to be removed and torn apart to fix or replace the engine? That's piss poor engineering if you ask me.

Old 05-22-2021, 08:08 AM   #29

Well, I've gone and done it. My voyager has been down since October 7 of last year. I had talked with a dealer the end of that month and he sounded like he wanted to help me. He claimed he would contact Ma Kaw and send them the photos I took of the shaft and spline. I was trying to keep in contact with him about once a month. I haven't spoken to him now for about 3 months. Everytime I call, they say he is with a customer or out somewhere. I leave my name and number and they say he'll call back but he never does. So this week I wrote a 2 page letter to Kawasaki about the situation and all that I've learned this far about the problem and the fact that it's been going on for nearly 15 years. I also asked them why they hadn't notified dealers and owners of this situation and a possible solution maintenance wise that could prevent future failures. I also told them I feel they should be held accountable. I don't expect a positive response or any response for that matter. They'll probably tell me to go pack sand and that's ok. I doubt that I'll ever buy another Kawasaki. I bought this bike new, took real good care of it and invested over $6100 of hard earned money to make it the way I wanted it and now it sets with only 67,000 miles on it. I thought for sure I'd be able to get 150K out of it. I've decided I'm not going to put another dime into it, so if Ma Kaw doesn't want to fix it, I'll be selling it as is. I also noticed recently that another VBA member has had this happen to him in the last couple of weeks. That's a damn shame. Rant over.

Old 05-22-2021, 11:53 AM   #30

Really SUCKS. Would have expected more from Ma Kaw and your dealer. Possibly it might be time to drop in to see your dealer in person without phoning first in hopes that he could share with you what steps he has taken on your behalf. If they won't return your calls what other options do you have? I had a head gasket go on a Dodge van that was over warranty from a known issue. They fixed it for me. I had to pay for the parts and they paid the labor. I went in without screaming and it worked out. Service manager said if I had come in screaming I would have got nowhere. Just a thought.