Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 07-12-2009, 12:02 AM   #1
Top Contributor

Voyager...Not So Sure...

Tricia and I stopped by a local dealership today to see if they had gotten in a new Voyager yet. Last time I was there they did not, but alas....there sat a new Blue/Black model! I saw these bikes at the Seattle IMA show last December, but my wife had never seen one up close, so we gave it a good once over.

Since I last saw the new Voyager, I have added a Premeux Tour Pack (HD style) with a luggage rack to my '08 Nomad. I also bought a Dekker Supreme bag made specifically to fit that luggage rack (see left sig photo). We put all this to good use during our long trip out to Custer and back from the Seattle area. We rode 3100 miles and were away from home for a total of nine days. We were able to carry everything we needed for the two of us, but it took both saddlebags, the Tour Pack and the Dekker Supreme bag fully loaded to do it.

The very first thing I noticed on the new Voyager was that the trunk has a much smaller storage capacity than the Premeux trunk I have now. It is not nearly as deep (or wide for that matter). Secondly, I don't know if they make a luggage rack for the Voyager trunk but there is no way it could be a large as the one I currently have either (see right sig photo)....hence, no Dekker Supreme bag to lock onto it. As the bike sat....there was no way I could have carried the luggage/load I packed onto my Nomad for any kind of seriously extended trip.

I then sat on it. The windshield was too high and I could not look over it (adjustable I'm sure). The floorboards were more squishy as per the rubber mounts as someone else posted. I personally would have rolled the handlebars up from where they were mounted to better suit me, but by doing so would have put the grips above the protective "wings" of the fairing.

I'm not saying that it is not a nice bike, for it surely is. I'm just saying that if I bought one today, I would have less cargo carrying capability than what I have now. That's not something I would be willing to give up, especially now that I have some well-earned experience with extended two-up trips under my belt.

We then walked over to look at the new Nomad. If two-up touring is your thing, I honestly think that unless you just have to have the fairing and all the built in stereo stuff that comes with it, you would be better off buying a 1700 Nomad and using the money you saved on the Voyager to buy a Scootworks, HD or Premeux Tour Pack w/luggage rack to install on the thing. You would ultimately have much more cargo capacity and still get the cruise, 6-speed, etc.

Packing for solo trips is one thing....packing for extended two-up trips is entirely another and I think the Voyager falls short of the mark on this one. That opinion is based solely on my own personal comparsion with the bike I rode into the dealerships parking lot... ;)...and as with all things here at KawaNOW....is just that...my humble opinion.

Side Note: In looking at the multitude of Nomads at Custer who had added trunks...I think mine was one of the largest size-wise. You can't have too much cargo room and I would suggest to anyone thinking of adding one to "go big". Scootworks, HD or Premeux all make sizable tour packs that will really add to the overall enjoyment of your bike. Again....JMHO... !

VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-13-2009, 09:01 PM   #2

Voyager...Not So Sure...

I agree with what you say, thats about how I summed up the new Voyager as well. Im not sure if any bike is perfect the way they come, but some are easier to get perfect. Im spoiled with my bike and I fill it almost to capacity every time I take it on a long trip. I like the new bikes , but not enough to take the plunge anytime soon.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 07-15-2009, 03:20 AM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to ken
Voyager...Not So Sure...

Good information. I really like my 05 Nomad and want to increase luggage carring ability but the trunk and bag added to the Nomad would be a lot less expensive than a new Voyager.

Thanks for the tips. Ken