Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 06-14-2009, 09:30 AM   #1

How do I adjust the belt?

I'm trying to get rid or the whine between 25 and 45 MPH. Has anyone adjusted the belt on their Nomad/Voyager? It looks like there is one double nut bolt right by the rear wheel that is the adjustment bolt. But before I mess with it I want to confirm.

Doug

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-17-2009, 06:48 AM   #2

Send a message via MSN to trevwales

Do you get the whine in more than one gear, speed related? I am getting whine in several gears mostly at same speed range. Will be having word with local Kawi tech sometime today to see what they have found out. Dont know if it will do any good as there are not many 1700's around to get a consensus yet.
Trev

Hopefully will be getting a copy of their manual CD when its comes in, will try to find way to err 'release it'?

Old 06-17-2009, 09:18 PM   #3

I get the whine mostly between 25 and 50 MPH. My dealer said that it's the belt, but that it is set to spec and that as it breaks in it will go away. However, I have read that others have had good results with a very minor adjustment of the belt. I'm just not sure how to do it and don't want to mess anything up.

Doug

Old 06-18-2009, 05:42 AM   #4

Send a message via MSN to trevwales

My dealer said same, but as you say, there are others on here that have had theirs adjusted and 'cured' the problem. Emailed Kawi Europe and they say to bring problem to attention of dealer, usual get-out. Cant tell if they have had feedback from dealers or what, but if they have think they ought to share it. Try looking at the kawi USA website showing the breakdown of the components, that should give you and idea of what is needed to be adjusted. Have copied pic from their site and will email you direct with it.
Trev

Old 07-19-2009, 04:00 PM   #5
Top Contributor

probably so new kawa doesnt know what to really do for you guys.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-24-2009, 05:08 PM   #6

Trev,
Got it. Thanks.

Doug

Old 07-25-2009, 06:42 AM   #7

I'm tryin' to go with the flow here, but honestly, the "get some miles on it and it will go away" thang doesn't do it for me. A little hard to conceive of kevlar stetching, which in essence is what they are sayin'. Its kevlar! You know, the man made material that is used in applications that require immense tensile strength, without stretching!!!! When I think of the airplane parts made of same and imagine them stretching, whew! Think of boarding your own private helicopter, rotor blades spinning 7-8 feet overhead, the pilot says "walk right out there and board, don't worry, you're only 5'6 so ya gotta' lot of clearance unless it gets really hot out and the dam things stretch a bit." Wanna' bet you do the duck walk all the way to the door?
Slight dramatization here to get your attention, ;) but you get the idea?
I had mine "adjusted". That sound can only be described as a howl, ugleeeeeeeeeeee! It be too tight my brothers. And if you think that it will eventually stretch, become too loose, why then make a note to yourself to check it in 8 or 9 years and snug her right up.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:35 PM   #8

Had my first service done yesterday. Had them use synthetic oil and set the belt a half turn looser then spec. The clunk between 1st and second gear is a lot quieter now and the belt while is virtually gone. I'm very pleased as the belt whine was driving me nuts!

Doug

Old 08-03-2009, 05:37 PM   #9
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

Todd adjusts his belt by.................................... oh never mind!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005