Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 06-08-2009, 09:06 AM   #16

Picked up my new Nomad 1700

Congrats on new Nomad.
Share some of my finding for my first 2 weeks.
I also got the 2009 1700 Nomad in last 2 weekds-- as far as the 6th gear... is sort of like OD in a car. My opinion, 5th is plent smooth at highway speeds, 6th kind of putts along and if we go to pass, I drop a gear.
Also when I speak of 6th gear note: I'm speaking as a rider who is also doubled up IE: (wife and I).
During first 800 miles, been averaging 40 mpg (total miles / gals). When been pure highway, running 60 65, been getting 41 and 42... Happy Happy Loving it... Wish would warm up a little here though ---
I did note back on Feb 2nd that I did see my shadow.... LOL The Woodchuck

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-08-2009, 09:38 PM   #17

Congrats on the new ride. I have about 2500 on mine now and the "clunk" in 1st and 2nd hasn't gone away and now I've developed an annoying rattle in the gauge pod on the tank. My dealer is snowed under right now and I don't want to leave it for days so I'll wait until the service dept slows down before I take it in. They haven't heard anything from Kawasaki about this noise but are anxious to take care of it for me.
I still don't get better than 33mpg's and am surprised at folks who are getting near 40. I'm no hotrodder so I don't get it.
I've also noticed that 5th gear is very smooth at 60 to 70 mph so I tend to save OD for longer jaunts.
At my first service I had the dealer check the belt tension, they said it was ok and the noise has lessened with time and miles.
I'm also thrilled with the power of this motor, now that it's broken in I'm getting a little more rowdy with it and still haven't tapped all it will do. I also enjoy the ease of using the cruise control and toggling through the displays on the dash.
I'll probably be adding a wompas luggage rack with an older Honda Goldwing tour box. My dealer told me Colorite can match the paint exactly.
Have a great summer and enjoy your new bike!

Old 06-09-2009, 02:35 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaliko
I'm new to this sight. I stumbled upon it while searching for Nomad 1700 related stuff. I recently sold my '02 Nomad FI and just purchased a '09 Nomad 1700 which I picked up yesterday (red/beige). Rode about 150 miles on it yesterday and I am really enjoying it so far. Since I'm going through the break in I haven't pushed it to hard. But I really like the bike, and especially the seat.

But I do have a couple of questions.

1. I get a pretty loud clunk when shifting gears. Doesn't feel like anything is wrong. Just louder then I expected. Is this normal?

2. I get what sounds like a little gear whine from roughly 25MPH to 45MPH. Is this normal? Part of the bikes break in?

3. Are there any accessories out for this thing yet? My dealer had nothing. Not even anything in a Kawasaki accessory catalog. I was hoping to get a light bar to start.

Anyway, so far I'm really happy with it.

Doug Baliko
Flower Mound, TX

Old 06-09-2009, 02:38 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaliko
I'm new to this sight. I stumbled upon it while searching for Nomad 1700 related stuff. I recently sold my '02 Nomad FI and just purchased a '09 Nomad 1700 which I picked up yesterday (red/beige). Rode about 150 miles on it yesterday and I am really enjoying it so far. Since I'm going through the break in I haven't pushed it to hard. But I really like the bike, and especially the seat.

But I do have a couple of questions.

1. I get a pretty loud clunk when shifting gears. Doesn't feel like anything is wrong. Just louder then I expected. Is this normal?

2. I get what sounds like a little gear whine from roughly 25MPH to 45MPH. Is this normal? Part of the bikes break in?

3. Are there any accessories out for this thing yet? My dealer had nothing. Not even anything in a Kawasaki accessory catalog. I was hoping to get a light bar to start.

Anyway, so far I'm really happy with it.

Doug Baliko
Flower Mound, TX

Old 06-09-2009, 02:41 PM   #20

dbaliko
I live in Flower Mound also. Glad you are enjoying your new bike. I ride a 2008 nomad.
We should get together for a ride. My friend lives 2 blocks away also has a nomad.
Drop me an email if you are interested. mec500@yahoo.com

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-11-2009, 09:47 PM   #21

I'm always up for a ride. Drop me an email at balikos@verizon.net

Doug

Old 06-14-2009, 05:39 PM   #22

Congrats on the new purchase and welcome to the nomad world.. I have a few questions to anyone. I did notice that the 1700 has the option of ABS braking system and integral braking system. I ride an 08' 1600. As most bikes it has seperate braking forward and rear. This being said what is the view on this. I know that BMW, Goldwings and some other big bike have these options available. Is it a issue that i need to deal with in my head or just treat it as the regular braking system. I have thought about trading up but this has hindered me. Although the 6 speed trans and the REAL cruise control would be very nice.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:35 PM   #23

Only the Voyager has the ABS option. I have read good reviews in the magazines that have covered the new 1700's. But I wouldn't buy a new bike just to get ABS. That being said, the 6 speed and cruise contol are very cool!

Doug