Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 09-30-2010, 01:59 PM   #16

winterizing carburated bike

Mac,

Thanks for the info.

I hadn't thought about the intakes and mufflers.

I don't know about rags in the intake and mufflers, the mice around here seem to eat anything except steel wool. Shoving steel wool up the mufflers would be ok, doing it to the intakes I'm not sure about. I might take some steel wool, wrap the backside in duct tape and stuff that in the intakes.

Taking the battery out of the Yamaha is easy as is taking off the seats. I like that suggestion.

I'm torn on the carbs, drain them or leave'em full. I'll have to think on that one.

Thanks to all that replied. I know more than I did before I asked.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-30-2010, 08:04 PM   #17
Sr. Contributor

Drain the carbs, or service them weekly. A good way to service the carbs once, is to fill them with marvel mystery oil. Then drain them before use. The idea is to fill them right up full to float the floats. This way no fuel can evaporate, which is where the main sin is. Fuel that gets to evaporate away created a white chrystal matter. The MM is good for seals and etc as well.

Use some MM on rags in the intake and up the pipes too. That will stop mice.

i just wish it worked on bears in my garden. What a mess this morning was... mashed corn everywhere...... Dug up my worm house too.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 10-01-2010, 01:54 PM   #18

Mac,

How do you fill the carbs? Run'em dry and then pour MM into the fuel line? The fuel line on the Yamaha is easy to get to and there is just the one.

I'll have to look at the bike to see how to drain the carbs. I think they are Mikuni. On my old KTM dirt bike 30 years ago there was a little bolt in the bottom of the fuel bowl that was easy to get to, hopefully the Yamaha will be the same.

I like the MM on rags, fewer chances of strands of steel wool getting into places it shouldn't. Thanks for the tip.

No bears around here but the damn racoons can be a real pain. They'll go through a corn patch pulling every ear down while eating just a few bites off of each one, looking for the tender parts I guess.

Chasing racoons with a .45 is fun but I think I'll leave the bears to you.

Old 10-01-2010, 05:12 PM   #19
Sr. Contributor

I use the carb drains (screws) which I hope haven't been chopped by Bean Counters.

Pop off the fuel line at the petcock and stuff a plastic MM oil bottle that held 4 oz new with a pointy tip and drain it. I refill my little MM oil bottle from a 1 gallon can/jug.

On Liberty I plug the fuel lines To the carbs and added on 2 lines from the petcock passing the engine, which will show a pool of fuel on the floor if a auto petcock fails.

Liberty is bone dry now, but been stored since Spring 05. She needs a battery and 2 tires due to sun cracking not tread.

I can't afford to reggi up everything i have. Used to, till Govt went crazy.

Bears: I carry a .45 all the time, every days. It is next to me right now on the scanner. I had it all day in the barn getting ready for a new project, with the barn back doors open.

I see bears a lot 10 so far visuals this summer, and sign much more than that. They don't bother me any, but I am miffed at what they did in the corn. I got coons too. Who doesn't, and skunks. ::)

Ricky Lee Jones is so cool I got her pop pop cd. All laid back stuff.

OH! This is why the bike is Liberty

I forget new guys come here. I assume everyone knows what I am tawkin' about

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 10-02-2010, 09:40 AM   #20

Mac,

Wow! Nice paint job!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-02-2010, 03:12 PM   #21
Sr. Contributor

My wife helped... We did this in an apt using a shower as the spray booth. My wife is a little different for a female. She shoots good too. The problem with that, is i can't bring a new gun home with out her thinking it's a gift for her.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 10-04-2010, 11:43 AM   #22

Is a .45 enough for bears? For critters that can eat me, I think I'd want something bigger.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:08 PM   #23
Sr. Contributor

A .45 acp round is a tad light, but if you use flyin ashtrays and shoot more than once close up it will do. Bear here don't come after man, only under some wild extreme, like getting between mama and baby bears. I have seen 9 this summer, all with in 30 yards. Most of them run the other way, except the little ones which get confused.

Smells from the trash in the barn might draw a bear when I am in the barn and that wouldn't make me real happy, but i would try to drive the bear out of the barn with out harming it in that case. It is a bolder bear or a young stupid bear that was in my corn.

There is a barn, shop (old car garage converted to a machine shop, and a house all close to one another here and 3 people who make scent and 2 dogs who also make scent.
Normal adult bears want nothing to do with humans.

In Cal in Kings canyon my wife spotted a bear eatting grubs off a tree stump, and it didn't even notice humans.

Alaskan bear is a whole other deal. So I don't worry about bears other than me and a bear meeting in the wrong place.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac