Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 10-21-2007, 11:22 PM   #1

Airkit /ECU question

I am awaiting the arrival of my cam chain tensioner extenders from Chuckster and thought I would be all smart and get the bike ready for the install. Well I still have the stock exhaust and as I was working my way down to the cam chain tensioners I noted that the one on the left side for the front cylinder is not easily accessed due to the stupid lower air duct. SO, I thought since I want to do it right that I would pull out the manual and see what I need to do to get that thing off. DANG! I have to take off the entire throttle assembly! I have loosened everything up that I can and I just can't get the thing out without taking everything off. SO! I thought maybe this would be a good time to get an airkit and make the job a little easier. I can cut the duct apart with dremel, melting method, etc. and will be looking forward to that experience.

Question I have is this:

1. Can anyone share the experience of putting on the Thunder AirKit? Is it as easy as it looks? Can you share a pearl of wisdom or two?

2. Has anyone used the Vance and Hines Fuel Pak for the Nomad?

I have been hearing excellent feedback from a family member who is a mechanic and he says that my money would be better spent on the FuelPak instead of the PCIII.

I welcome any thoughts and thank you in advance for taking the time to respond.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-22-2007, 12:26 AM   #2

Airkit /ECU question

I just installed the thunder airkit on my Nomad a couple of days ago. It was an easy install, with a few exceptions. I also removed the reed valve assembly and installed coasters. I did not remove the cross tube and still have the bell on the left side, it is not functional, but still there. The adapter just covers the crosstube up.

I used the stock bell on the thunder airkit adapter and k&N filter. So, the bike looks stock but isn't. I also installed the FI2000r, which was very easy. I have cobra true duals, but haven't installed them yet. I"m not very mechanically inclined, but all this was very easy. the hardest part was plugging a small tube on the throttle box which has a small vacum hose which you must remove, it is part of the reed valve assembly. The airkit gives you a red plug for the large airhose for the reed valves, it is located at about 2 oclock when looking at the oem backing plate. Instead of blocking, I just removed it all and put coasters on. Get clean look.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:54 AM   #3
Advanced Member

Airkit /ECU question

Spork

Check out what Gadget says I did it back in 2002 on mine wasn't that hard.....only hard part removing crossover pipe.

http://www.gadgetjq.com/HC-TFI_install.htm
VBA #00077

Old 10-23-2007, 09:39 AM   #4

Airkit /ECU question

Quote:
Spork

Check out what Gadget says I did it back in 2002 on mine wasn't that hard.....only hard part removing crossover pipe.

http://www.gadgetjq.com/HC-TFI_install.htm
DANG IT! I looked and looked and looked at Gadgets site before I posted this thread and I didn't see anything.

I hate getting old............

Thanks a million!

Old 10-23-2007, 09:40 AM   #5

Airkit /ECU question

Quote:
I just installed the thunder airkit on my Nomad a couple of days ago. It was an easy install, with a few exceptions. I also removed the reed valve assembly and installed coasters. I did not remove the cross tube and still have the bell on the left side, it is not functional, but still there. The adapter just covers the crosstube up.

I used the stock bell on the thunder airkit adapter and k&N filter. So, the bike looks stock but isn't. I also installed the FI2000r, which was very easy. I have cobra true duals, but haven't installed them yet. I"m not very mechanically inclined, but all this was very easy. the hardest part was plugging a small tube on the throttle box which has a small vacum hose which you must remove, it is part of the reed valve assembly. The airkit gives you a red plug for the large airhose for the reed valves, it is located at about 2 oclock when looking at the oem backing plate. Instead of blocking, I just removed it all and put coasters on. Get clean look.
Thanks for the reply and the information. Now if only my marriage will survive this motorcycle that has caused a constant drain of financial resources. :(

Login or Register to Remove Ads