Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 06-13-2011, 12:25 PM   #1

I've tried all three.....

We've all heard the old saying, "opinions are like a#* holes, everybody's got one", so the following is only my opinion (assessment) of the three sets of mufflers that are available for the 1700 Nomads and Voyagers. I've purchased and tried all three, D&D's, Cobra Tri-Ovals, and now Vance & Hines Slash Cuts and in that order.

First of all, lets get this out of the way right up front; none have quieter baffles available from their respective maker, in fact the V&H's don't even have baffles, and all three are pretty darn loud especially upon acceleration, so if you don't want loud, stick with your stocks cause you can't quiet them down after you buy them. If you do want loud and want your bike to "sound like a Harley" and turn heads when you motor down the highway, then any of the three will meet that criteria. Secondly, all three pop and backfire, primarily when decelerating, with the D&D's the greatest culprit and the other two about equal with the V&H's not quite as bad as the Cobra's. None are so offensive that they'll shatter windows but brief acceleration then deceleration will get everybody's attention, especially yours.

Now lets go to the mufflers appearances; the D&D's are LONG, inches longer than the others, and stick out beyond the end of everything, bags, and fender, and personally I think they would look great on the Voyager, although they were a little too long for my Nomad. I felt they dominated the appearance of the bike. The Tri-Ovals have the very unique oval shape and won't be mistaken for any others and they probably have the deepest chrome plating of the three, and are truly beautiful. For some reason however, I opted to go back to round instead of oval and I wanted a few more inches of length, but not as long as the D&D's, only slightly longer than the Cobras or stock, so I bought a set of V&H's Slash Cuts and have mounted them. For me, they are about perfect in appearance and sound, that is if they don't get any louder, but the jury is still out because I haven't put many miles on them yet as they haven't been on the bike that long. I do like the double lipped terminus and the "slash cut" ends and they too have good chrome.

In a nut shell, all three are great pipes and all are easy to mount although I had a little trouble lining up the bolt holes on the left Tri Oval, but nothing serious. Be careful not to crush or damage the crush washers in the header pipes when mounting any as they are over $25.00 each!

I hope no one is offended by my assessment if you have any of these, and It's not my objective to persuade anyone to buy one or the other because of my comments, like I said "opinions are like................". ::)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-13-2011, 12:59 PM   #2
Advanced Member

Good info,Thanks

Old 06-13-2011, 02:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmacbkr
We've all heard the old saying, "opinions are like a#* holes, everybody's got one",
You forgot the best part ...

Opinions are like a#* holes, everybody's got one AND MOST OF THEM STINK !!!

... but thanks for the reviews :)

Old 06-13-2011, 02:50 PM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

Not mine!!!!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 06-13-2011, 04:22 PM   #5

'bigmacbkr', Great assessment. You probably have saved literally thousands of dollars, cumulatively, for all the members like me contemplating aftermarket pipes. I like the forum because of the opinions. I don't always agree but more often than not I read one that will give me a point of view I hadn't thought of, thanks for the info.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-13-2011, 05:06 PM   #6
Top Contributor

If you haven't offended anyone....then you didn't do it right... . J/K....but your opinion is a valid as anyone's...so don't be shy about sharing it... .
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 06-13-2011, 06:30 PM   #7
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider

Good review on all three sets of pipes. From all I have seen I think Cobra does the best job with the chrome.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 06-14-2011, 03:08 PM   #8
Sr. Contributor

I might have quit after one. Three? The motorcycle aftermarket thanks you. ;)
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11