Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 06-28-2010, 05:13 AM   #1

MOTORHOME TRAVELING ADVISE

Hey gang,

Hoping some of you can provide some info and advice on motorhoming. Wife and I will retire within the next two years and are considering buying a motorhome to travel and live in part of the year. Do any of you own one? Do you tow a vehicle and carry your bike with you too?

thanks

vin

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-28-2010, 08:45 AM   #2

My best advise is be sure it's the lifestyle for you before you invest a ton of money. We have a 30' Coachman we use for camping every year and meet lot's of people who are "full-timers". There are many people who absolutely love it !! But we meet plenty of others who are doing it for the first time and after one season can't stand it (or each other ! ). Be sure you both know exactly what you're getting into.

We love the RV and have plans to upgrade and make it full time when I retire, but we've been tent camping then pop-up trailer then full blown RV'ing for all our adult lives.

Go spend month in a pop-up trailer in the sun / rain / fog / dampness / bugs / sick / with a little cabin fever thrown in.... if you still like the idea - and haven't killed each other at the end of the month - then go for it!!

'00 - 1500 'Carbed' Nomad
VBA #01600

Old 06-28-2010, 10:29 AM   #3
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider

Excellent advice from boomerang. I enjoy camping ever once in a while but just too cramped for me to do full time. Good luck on your decision.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 06-28-2010, 11:32 AM   #4

Make sure you get one you dont have to stand in the stool to take a shower in.....:)

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
1946 George Orwell

Old 06-28-2010, 12:21 PM   #5

all good advice. thanks. Boomerang, we've done the tent, pop up and the like previously and are still happily married. What we're considering is something along the lines of a diesel pusher, 35-40 feet long with 2-3 bump-outs. we'd be living in it for 2-4 months a year, then into a regular house the balance of the year. Do you haul your bike? haul a vehicle?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-28-2010, 02:18 PM   #6

We've got our eyes on either a Fleetwood Discovery or Excursion with as many trimmings as we can get. Our plan is to be on the road for 2-3 years at least so we'll go with a fully enclosed trailer for a small Mini Cooper sized car, all the spare gear, and the bike of course. Right now I just ride the bike to where ever and she drives the RV.

'00 - 1500 'Carbed' Nomad
VBA #01600

Old 06-28-2010, 06:03 PM   #7
Sr. Contributor

Never had one, worked on many. Out west you can see then towing a trailer and the trailer towing a car.

There is a version that has a ramp and you can ride the bike into the RV and strap it down. Then hitch a trailer/car for back here in the East, where so far I have never seen triple piggy back yet.

The ride in bike rig I saw had a folding door/wall but you could smell the bike's engine. maybe that goes away as the bike cools, I can't say.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 06-28-2010, 07:09 PM   #8

I rented a 30 foot motorhome for a couple years, my wife wasn't sure if she would like it at first, but after the second day she loved it. We travelled all through northern Ontario and the midwest US one summer, and all through the eastern provinces the second year. They were two of the best vacations we ever had. Get one with all the stuff in it, ours had A/C, generator, three way power for the fridge, queen size bed, etc.
It would last us a good two days on the road, without requiring hookup for sewer or water. The slideouts really open it up inside when your setup as well.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 06-29-2010, 12:43 PM   #9

thanks for all the info guys. I really appreciate it. I hope others chime in as well. macmac, I've seen the type you're referring to. Sort of a motorhome with a garage built in. My bike is important but not to the point of giving up valuable space for it. I'd be interested in an electric lift type device that the bike would hang from the rear of the home and we'd probably tow a small vehicle. I have seen some of the pushers towing some really large SUV's. I guess they're pretty poweful to haul all that stuff around....or folks just over-gross them.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:00 PM   #10

FlightDoc,
I have been camping/rv'ing for many years.I have a 40 foot diesel pusher,2 slides pretty much loaded out.I would pull a small trl for the bike.You may also check out rv.net lots of good info on that site also,many folks that have much experience with all aspects of travel.Whatever you decide all i can say is research,research and more research.Lots of people buy on eye appeal when your needs may be totally different.Some rv's have 10,000lbs hitches for towing most have 5,000 this is a factor in what you can safely tow..............D.J.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:29 AM   #11

thanks DJ. What model motorhome do you have?

Old 06-30-2010, 09:29 PM   #12

FlightDoc,
I have a Sportscoach CrossCountry SE just under 40' Cummins diesel.A great ride on the Freightliner chassis,also very quiet.We had a gas motorhome previous to the diesel pusher and it was very noisy with the engine/doghouse right between me and my wife.We literally could not carry on a conversation while driving hence the diesel pusher.We never regretted buying it and actually use it quite often.I am looking forward to retirement so i can use it more often.Good luck in your decision......D.J.

Old 07-01-2010, 12:17 PM   #13

Interesting thread as we may get an rv in the future....all the reasech has lead us to a desiel pusher.
Kawanow Member #23
Hubbie-Ken '10 Metalic Black Goldwing

Old 07-04-2010, 01:23 PM   #14

DJ,

I really appreciate all the info from you and everyone else. To me the life is appealing. I think the wife will enjoy it for a couple or three months a year. My biggest dilema is how to take the bike. I've heard of lifts that can be mounted on the back of the motorhome. We'd be pulling a small auto too. I know there are the motorhomes with the built in garages but I wouldn't want to give up the space for the bike. I'm sure space is of great importance in one of these buggies. Anything else you think of , please share with all of us.

vin

Old 07-04-2010, 08:45 PM   #15

Vin, Look at the "Toy-hauler" motor homes. Ramp in the rear with a place for the Nomad. No trailer unless you want to haul a boat behind you for lake/river campgrounds. Three slideouts with a diesel and generator. You can save plenty of bucks if you watch for a slightly used one. They are out there. Being you have a couple of years, you have time to be patient and get yourself a good used one. I don't know how fast they depreciate. If not fast, you may prefer a new one. Good luck.....I'm jealous. I have at least 9 more years to go.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482