Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 05-18-2015, 05:27 PM   #1

Send a message via ICQ to MJ07Nomad
Tires and Snakes

Today I was out riding and all was good then I noticed that my front wheel while going on a right hand curve seemed to loose grip, then 3 seconds later on a left carve same thing. The front wheel shimmed 2 or 3 times going around these long bends. I pulled over and check the tire, wheel and all looked good. What I did notice was tar snakes you know when the road crew pours black tar over cracks in the road, they where about ¼” high and 1” wide all over the place. I got back on the bike and down the road saw a road crew and asked about the tar snakes and what they where doing. They told me that, that country is going to be tarring up cracks on all the roads and not re-paving them to save money. Hey the roads are fine and do not need any tar but I understand that the highway guys need a job so it looks like they are going to keep going. Now what I need to know is what front tire is the best to ride over/on tar snakes? I ride a 07 Nomad with a stock size stones, 150/80/16 front tire, and was thinking replacing the front tire anyway so what is best?
So far I checked out the reviews on the Avon AV71 Cobra Motorcycle Tire 150/80-16 Front and the 150/80-16 Pirelli Night Dragon Front Tire. But can not find anything about them and tar snakes…….thanks for your in-put, mj

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-18-2015, 05:43 PM   #2

Tar snakes are common around here, but I never have any issues with them until temps get into the upper 90's.
At that temp they're soft and you have to be careful. I don't know if a different size tire would help.

Dave Jesse
2012 1700 Gray/Black Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad Green/Silver Sold
VBA #1108

2010- Eureka Springs - Antlers - 2011- Maggie Valley - Antlers
2012- Margaritaville Ride - Van Buren - Antlers - 2013- Estes Park - Antlers
2014- Mountain View - Antlers - 2015- Eureka Springs - Antlers
2016- Salem - Antlers - 2017- Eureka Springs - Lake George - Antlers - 2018- Custer - Antlers

Old 05-18-2015, 06:22 PM   #3

I ride in them all the time. Just got use to it.

2010 Nomad 1700
Metallic Diablo Black/Metallic Titanium

Old 05-18-2015, 06:52 PM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudMan View Post
Tar snakes are common around here, but I never have any issues with them until temps get into the upper 90's.
At that temp they're soft and you have to be careful. I don't know if a different size tire would help.
Yeah me too, but how hot was it in Fishkill NY today???

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 05-18-2015, 07:01 PM   #5

With road surface temps hitting 160 here in the Arizona desert tar snakes can be a real problem. Even so, I have never heard any of the locals recommending a particular brand of tire over others to deal with them. You just need to be wary of them. Try to avoid cornering to hard when riding on a snake 'infested' road.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'05 1600CL. Originator 18" Harley wheel mod, Dobeck TFI, True Duals, Mutazu hardbags, Flanders handlebars n' a bunch more.
Sometimes I miss the good ol' days but most times I'm just glad I survived them

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-18-2015, 07:05 PM   #6
Sr. Contributor

I kinda doubt he was over 72 degrees today in NY, and it never hit 70 in my neck of the woods in New Hampsta' . maybe these were new baby snakes ??? I mean the rd crew was just down the road ....

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 05-18-2015, 07:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac View Post
80 F
To the original poster, there is no tire that will stop you from sliding on tar snakes.
I hit them all the time and still get butt clench.
I don't think they would cause you to slide out but I still don't like them.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 05-18-2015, 07:09 PM   #8
Sr. Contributor

80 ! you had 80 ? All I got is skeeters n black flies &*^%^%$#$%#%@!!!!! 80 !!!!

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 05-18-2015, 07:14 PM   #9

Quote:
I was riding in the Catskills, was maybe 75*. I ride in NY City, Hudson Valley, Catskills, CT, NH, MA, PA, on all kinds of roads in all temps, Never had I had a problem with tar snakes, just feel that if I need a new front tire and they are going to put tar snakes on the roads in the Catskills why not get the best tire to handle it. I have learned to ride over metal plate bridges in NY City, Concrete Highways that are uneven you know the type where every 10 seconds the bike get jotted, Blacktop roads with so many pot holes you would think your on a dirt road, Etc.

Old 05-18-2015, 07:27 PM   #10
Sr. Contributor

IMO the Avon Cobra is the best mc ft tire you can buy for a Nomad, but they are not noted to last a real long time because they get good traction, by the fact they wear out. Can't tell you how long abouts as i haven't worn mine out yet. Killed the brickstone, then killed a mc dunlop, and have the cobra now, going into season 2 I think. Did some work on Flavors bike here at home, and we switched bikes so i could test ride my work and get his TFI tuned. I liked that cobra he had and the way it worked with the Dunlop Sp 5000 Ct tires we share. So when I killed the ft dunlop it was Avon for me.

Car tires tend to tame paint, dirt roads, wire bridges and assorted other, and cause a slight bit of understeer, which I like. I have to push pull the bars a slight bit harder to hold the bike down in a sweeper, but that's better than have it squiggle around all over the place with a too active rear for me.

Another thought is have you checked the rear swing arm for play ? The set up is poor at best. There is no adjustment and the seals are used as thrust washers.

The spec is 0.002 slop for most bikes. You won't get close to that on a Vulcan, but when you get 0.138" it's way too much.

How To: lift the rear end off the ground and push the swing arm over hard at the area the long bolt is. take a measure there and look to see the spacer there the seal rides on.

Next pull the swing arm back hard and take another measure.

Subtract the 2nd measure from the first and scream in horror.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 05-18-2015, 07:31 PM   #11
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan Bill View Post
With road surface temps hitting 160 here in the Arizona desert tar snakes can be a real problem. Even so, I have never heard any of the locals recommending a particular brand of tire over others to deal with them. You just need to be wary of them. Try to avoid cornering to hard when riding on a snake 'infested' road.
Yeah I saw that in Bagdad trying to ride Rt 66. The road there looked like tar loaves of bread, made my wife cry ( I had broken ribs, and she was scared) it was hot like 100 in october, I don't like hot much myself.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 05-18-2015, 07:32 PM   #12

Maybe I should just ask What is the best handling tire you ever had on the front of your Nomad? I guess when it comes to Tar Snakes where is none, but I know that some tires handle better then others. In reviews people are saying that Avon AV71 Cobra Motorcycle Tire 150/80-16 Front and the 150/80-16 Pirelli Night Dragon Front Tire handle great, but they just do not say why, just great. Guess I will have to just go with that.....

Old 05-18-2015, 07:52 PM   #13

I found when I still had stock stones that the front tire would actually feel like it followed the tar snake filled crack somewhat rather than slide on it. I noticed a big difference when I switched to cobras. Don't get me wrong they still move a bit on the snakes but they feel more predictable.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 05-18-2015, 07:53 PM   #14

Quote:
IMO the Avon Cobra is the best mc ft tire you can buy for a Nomad, but they are not noted to last a real long time because they get good traction, by the fact they wear out. Can't tell you how long abouts as i haven't worn mine out yet. Killed the brickstone, then killed a mc dunlop, and have the cobra now, going into season 2 I think. Did some work on Flavors bike here at home, and we switched bikes so i could test ride my work and get his TFI tuned. I liked that cobra he had and the way it worked with the Dunlop Sp 5000 Ct tires we share. So when I killed the ft dunlop it was Avon for me.

Car tires tend to tame paint, dirt roads, wire bridges and assorted other, and cause a slight bit of understeer, which I like. I have to push pull the bars a slight bit harder to hold the bike down in a sweeper, but that's better than have it squiggle around all over the place with a too active rear for me.

Another thought is have you checked the rear swing arm for play ? The set up is poor at best. There is no adjustment and the seals are used as thrust washers.

The spec is 0.002 slop for most bikes. You won't get close to that on a Vulcan, but when you get 0.138" it's way too much.

How To: lift the rear end off the ground and push the swing arm over hard at the area the long bolt is. take a measure there and look to see the spacer there the seal rides on.

Next pull the swing arm back hard and take another measure.

Subtract the 2nd measure from the first and scream in horror.
Thanks Mac, I did my swing arm, front fork, etc, soup to nuts about 5K miles ago and you are right "scream in horror". I had a car tire on a 1600 classic and I just do not like the feel of it. I like to do low speed parking lot type things like u-turns in between 2 lines etc, just lean the bike too much for a car tire. If I could change my rims and add sport tires I would LOL. I just love riding the back roads long turns one right after the other, if I was closer to the Dragon I would never be home. I can not ride has much has when I was younger so I like to keep my bike ready to go, that is why I am looking at tires now. Thanks again.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:13 PM   #15

You lean too far for a car tire, that's funny.

I know guys with no toes in their boots who run car tires...