Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 05-12-2015, 08:11 AM   #1

Coaster Install

I recently installed the coasters on my '08 Nomad. I read through the instructions on Gadget's page and also those that came with the kit. There was one small line that went to the throttle body that wasn't addressed (or if it was I missed it) and was wondering if this just needs plugged? It came right off of the Air Valve that sat on top the motor where the reed valves connected to.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-12-2015, 08:37 AM   #2

Cap it.

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Old 05-12-2015, 11:33 AM   #3
Sr. Contributor

Cap it at the end of the hose that went on the valve. It might be a good idea to take that valve off with the other larger tubings, and remove the plastic reed valves too. I forget if that happens when you install the coasters . Been since 06 when i did. At one point we called that valve Medusa'a Head. I did that again but it was ages ago on someone else's bike too. That was when i saw Chuckster's work which is very nice.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 05-12-2015, 12:48 PM   #4

I capped it right at the throttle body. All good!!

Old 05-12-2015, 02:56 PM   #5
Sr. Contributor

That will work. To me if the cap gets blown off in a back fire, that area is a little harder to reach. That line is all that's left of the entire mess and is plugged up hard, and wire tied to to the frame. Each year I have a good look at the caps to be sure they are still there and still tight, not baked, cracked, or loose. The more plastic type in bright colors seem to be better than the thicker black rubber type to IMO anyway. but the better of the 2 can still get messed up and cause vac leaks if they leak or go missing.

I run a right side cadman, TFI and V&H baggers with coasters, in case anyone was wondering. And the entire vac pod to run the reed valves is gone and so are the reed valves. I figured with out doing anything they would cook.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-12-2015, 05:50 PM   #6

Were you able to reuse the gaskets for the coaster plates? I'm getting ready to install coasters on my 2006 Nomad so this thread is good timing.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:25 PM   #7
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubernomad View Post
Were you able to reuse the gaskets for the coaster plates? I'm getting ready to install coasters on my 2006 Nomad so this thread is good timing.
I was able to reuse then, and they do have a graphite coating, but you can't be sure. There are 4 total and you will need 2 total. So it depends on how lucky you feel

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 05-18-2015, 02:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac View Post
That will work. To me if the cap gets blown off in a back fire, that area is a little harder to reach. That line is all that's left of the entire mess and is plugged up hard, and wire tied to to the frame. Each year I have a good look at the caps to be sure they are still there and still tight, not baked, cracked, or loose. The more plastic type in bright colors seem to be better than the thicker black rubber type to IMO anyway. but the better of the 2 can still get messed up and cause vac leaks if they leak or go missing.

I run a right side cadman, TFI and V&H baggers with coasters, in case anyone was wondering. And the entire vac pod to run the reed valves is gone and so are the reed valves. I figured with out doing anything they would cook.
So, you completely removed the valves along with the hoses and covers? You just bolted the coaster plates directly to the cylinder head without any problems or leaks?

Old 05-18-2015, 05:48 PM   #9

Quote:
So, you completely removed the valves along with the hoses and covers? You just bolted the coaster plates directly to the cylinder head without any problems or leaks?
There is a gasket. Hopefully you can re-use the one that was on there.
If they are torn you will need new gaskets. I've done it twice and was able to get the old gaskets off without damaging them.

Dave Jesse
2012 1700 Gray/Black Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad Green/Silver Sold
VBA #1108

2010- Eureka Springs - Antlers - 2011- Maggie Valley - Antlers
2012- Margaritaville Ride - Van Buren - Antlers - 2013- Estes Park - Antlers
2014- Mountain View - Antlers - 2015- Eureka Springs - Antlers
2016- Salem - Antlers - 2017- Eureka Springs - Lake George - Antlers - 2018- Custer - Antlers

Old 05-18-2015, 06:58 PM   #10
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Yup i did. The only possible problem is you could need a new gasket each, but if the old graphite came off clean, they may be reused.

On edit: I took this shot for another reason so the entire coaster isn't shown, but you can see it .

[IMG][/IMG]

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Last edited by macmac; 05-18-2015 at 07:02 PM.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:44 PM   #11

Got my coasters installed last night. I had to buy new gaskets which were actually pretty cheap and in stock locally. Bike runs much better after I took off all the rubber hoses and exhaust valves. I apparently had some leaks in the hoses which caused excessive popping. All gone now.