Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 09-17-2010, 09:20 PM   #1

Nomads, Harleys, A Canadian Perspective

I was rereading some threads on various topics and I started to notice a few common thoughts about Harleys and HD owners, many of which I believe are not held in Canada. I also noticed still some bias against the newer 1700 Nomads.
As to Harleys: comments were that HD owners don't make positive comments if any at all about the Nomad, that they don't wave to metric riders, or that Harleys ride better than the Nomad and come with more for the money. I can see the US perspective given that the bike is made in the USA and has a historic importance in the riding community. Indeed, a friend told me that at Sturgis, 95% of the motorcycles are Harleys.
In Canada, I believe this is not the case. Harleys are so expensive that there is at least as many metric bikes, if not more. Consequently, there is not as much attitude. HD riders do the wave. I have had many positive comments about my Nomad from HD riders and others. Dollar for dollar the 09/10 Nomad is a better deal and has many options found only on the more expensive HDs. A $20 000 HD will cost $30 000 in Canada.
As to Nomads: I find there are still negative comments about the newer style of Nomad, such as don't ride it if you are 6', doesn't handle well, don't like the new bags, heat issues.
I always loved the Nomad look and that was what attracted me to this bike.
Unlike the previous versions, you don't need to replace the seat, don't need to add risers to bring the bars closer, don't need to search for a 6th gear, don't need to add a fuel processor or a rubber seal at the gas cap, head buffeting is not an issue. The bags load from the top so nothing falls out, cruise control is so good I will never own another bike without it, I can ride all day in the comfortable seat, and it doesn't tend to fall into the turn in slow turns like previous versions. Heat has never been a problem.
I've added rails now so have more of that Nomad look.
I still enjoy looking at the 1500 and 1600 Nomads and know members of this board love them.
We all ride what we like and what we can afford. When one HD rider of a 99 Electric Glide said my Nad didn't have enough chrome, I replied I could have bought his bike but didn't!
The 09 has so many positive features. It may not be the Nomad most of the members ride, but it is a great ride.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-17-2010, 11:00 PM   #2
Advanced Member

HD riders in Southern Alberta are worse than what anyone says about them on this forum. Unfortunately the HD riders here are the rudest, mouthiest, and least informed about other types of motorcycles that any group of riders anywhere else. Out the dozens in this area, there are about 3 that talk to us with any kind of respect you show to fellow riders. The worst part of the whole deal is that most of these people were 'normal' before they decided to spend way too much money for a bike that does not come close to being what our Nomads are.

Old 09-18-2010, 12:21 AM   #3
Advanced Member

Being that HD is an American company, there is likely to be less bias North of the 'Border as compared to home turf. An HD could be called an import in your neck of the woods which makes any American HD sheep lose bowel control.

VBA 00735
VROC 28102

2008 KVN MOB & NS

The only hand-held device that should be legal to use while driving is the STEERING WHEEL!

Old 09-18-2010, 01:51 AM   #4
Mega-Contributor

It makes sense that HD's don't quite have the cache' up north that they do down here. I think the HD "attitude" we all talk about is more prevalent in the midwestern and eastern United States where unions have a strong hold. Out here in the west, there are a lot of right to work states and toeing the union line isn't as big a factor.

There are jerks in every town and city in the world. Some are jerks when it comes to cars, boats, politics, whatever. I haven't run into many HD owners with attitude. Sure, there's my unenlightened buddies who won't buy anything for their bikes unless it comes from an HD dealership, and we kid back and forth. I tell them I ride tailgunner and drag a magnet to snag the parts that fall of their bikes. Most HD owners I've met are courteous and respectful, as I am of them. Respect given is respect earned. It's enough for me that a person rides. Just so it isn't one of those 3-wheeled backwards trike abominations.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 09-18-2010, 07:04 AM   #5
Sr. Contributor

I haven't ridden the 1700s so I can't say how they ride, but I would agree with the ergonomic comments for the most part from sitting on them. The bars are closer and the seat feels better...I will also say the voyager is no more confining than the Ultra. I'd like to test ride one just to see and probably will just because.

As far as HD goes, that is the predominant bike in Iowa. I see more metrics than I did 8 years ago, but not enough to make a difference. As an example, in the last job I had, I was the only one who drove an import car, When I left there were three others, but this is out of dozens. May be they think it's patriotic, who knows, I am not from here.

Anyway, I agree with Scott. Respect given is earned. I don't break balls too much although when one of the guys in my church riding group got some sort of removable trike kit on his road glide, I asked how he like training wheels... :) all in fun. Whatever works for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdneh
I was rereading some threads on various topics and I started to notice a few common thoughts about Harleys and HD owners, many of which I believe are not held in Canada. I also noticed still some bias against the newer 1700 Nomads.
As to Harleys: comments were that HD owners don't make positive comments if any at all about the Nomad, that they don't wave to metric riders, or that Harleys ride better than the Nomad and come with more for the money. I can see the US perspective given that the bike is made in the USA and has a historic importance in the riding community. Indeed, a friend told me that at Sturgis, 95% of the motorcycles are Harleys.
In Canada, I believe this is not the case. Harleys are so expensive that there is at least as many metric bikes, if not more. Consequently, there is not as much attitude. HD riders do the wave. I have had many positive comments about my Nomad from HD riders and others. Dollar for dollar the 09/10 Nomad is a better deal and has many options found only on the more expensive HDs. A $20 000 HD will cost $30 000 in Canada.
As to Nomads: I find there are still negative comments about the newer style of Nomad, such as don't ride it if you are 6', doesn't handle well, don't like the new bags, heat issues.
I always loved the Nomad look and that was what attracted me to this bike.
Unlike the previous versions, you don't need to replace the seat, don't need to add risers to bring the bars closer, don't need to search for a 6th gear, don't need to add a fuel processor or a rubber seal at the gas cap, head buffeting is not an issue. The bags load from the top so nothing falls out, cruise control is so good I will never own another bike without it, I can ride all day in the comfortable seat, and it doesn't tend to fall into the turn in slow turns like previous versions. Heat has never been a problem.
I've added rails now so have more of that Nomad look.
I still enjoy looking at the 1500 and 1600 Nomads and know members of this board love them.
We all ride what we like and what we can afford. When one HD rider of a 99 Electric Glide said my Nad didn't have enough chrome, I replied I could have bought his bike but didn't!
The 09 has so many positive features. It may not be the Nomad most of the members ride, but it is a great ride.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-18-2010, 07:37 AM   #6
Sr. Contributor

[quote author=ponch
Anyway, I agree with Scott. Respect given is earned. I don't break balls too much although when one of the guys in my church riding group got some sort of removable trike kit on his road glide, I asked how he like training wheels... :) all in fun. Whatever works for you. [quote]

Ponch do you remember the training wheel company's name?
BTW I think you will find the BMW more to your liking.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 09-18-2010, 08:06 AM   #7
Sr. Contributor

Trying to figure out what it was, but here is a guy with the same ones:

http://www.vroc.org/view_profile.php?user_id=16352

[quote author=glmvt board=general thread=19861 post=298924 time=1284813455][quote author=ponch
Anyway, I agree with Scott. Respect given is earned. I don't break balls too much although when one of the guys in my church riding group got some sort of removable trike kit on his road glide, I asked how he like training wheels... :) all in fun. Whatever works for you.
Quote:

Ponch do you remember the training wheel company's name?
BTW I think you will find the BMW more to your liking.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Old 09-18-2010, 08:40 AM   #8
Sr. Contributor

[quote author=ponch board=general thread=19861 post=298931 time=1284815164]Trying to figure out what it was, but here is a guy with the same ones:

http://www.vroc.org/view_profile.php?user_id=16352

Boy, c o l o r can make or break it.
That appears to be the same thing I saw.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 09-18-2010, 08:46 AM   #9
Advanced Member

http://www.mtcvoyager.com/

Old 09-18-2010, 08:51 AM   #10

Earned? I treat all riders the same.......with disrespect.

It's a shame there are riders that judge you by the bike you ride. I try to judge by you being you. Harley riders seem to be the most judgmental of all riders in my experience. Most don't mean harm though, they just can't help themselves.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:53 AM   #11
Sr. Contributor

That's it, the training wheels! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 09-18-2010, 08:55 AM   #12
Sr. Contributor

I did see a funny image on a BMW site. It was a pun on HD riders...Pretend to ride, ride to pretend. It was funny, but I wouldn't assume that. You thought HD riders were snooty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavor
Earned? I treat all riders the same.......with disrespect.

It's a shame there are riders that judge you by the bike you ride. I try to judge by you being you. Harley riders seem to be the most judgmental of all riders in my experience. Most don't mean harm though, they just can't help themselves.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 09-18-2010, 09:28 AM   #13

LOL!! The few "beemer" owners I know... for fact, have an attitude

Start taking note if a "beemer" waves or not... my experience is that it is a "hit or miss" situation... no different than HD riders.

My favortie "beemer" car joke... "What's the difference between a BMW owner, and a porcupine?"... "The pr!cks are on the outside of a porcupine!"

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 09-18-2010, 09:36 AM   #14
Sr. Contributor

I could see that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson

Start taking note if a "beemer" waves or not... my experience is that it is a "hit or miss" situation... no different than HD riders.

My favortie "beemer" car joke... "What's the difference between a BMW owner, and a porcupine?"... "The pr!cks are on the outside of a porcupine!"
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 09-18-2010, 10:13 AM   #15
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson

People who drive "The Ultimate Driving Machine", ultimately, can't drive.

VBA 00735
VROC 28102

2008 KVN MOB & NS

The only hand-held device that should be legal to use while driving is the STEERING WHEEL!