In Association with VBA Web : History | Leadership | Memorial | Events | Merchandise
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2017, 08:48 PM   #1
ballbreaker   ballbreaker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: manitoba, canada
Posts: 126
Question Engine guard chaps help engine run cooler?

Didn't want to hijack the other thread on oil coolers but had to comment on UNCLE WILLYS statement that having engine guard chaps makes the engine run cooler. My buddy runs lowers on his Voyageur and feels he has to open them on hot days for better cooling. Has anyone done any testing to prove whether the engine runs cooler or not with the engine guard chaps. Reason I am asking is I just took off my Sage Design leather engine guard chaps as the heat guage seemed to be hotter with them on. All opinions would be greatly appreciated.


Login or Register to Remove Ads
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:31 PM   #2
UNCLE WILLIE   UNCLE WILLIE is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: knoxville tn
Posts: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballbreaker View Post
Didn't want to hijack the other thread on oil coolers but had to comment on UNCLE WILLYS statement that having engine guard chaps makes the engine run cooler. My buddy runs lowers on his Voyageur and feels he has to open them on hot days for better cooling. Has anyone done any testing to prove whether the engine runs cooler or not with the engine guard chaps. Reason I am asking is I just took off my Sage Design leather engine guard chaps as the heat guage seemed to be hotter with them on. All opinions would be greatly appreciated.
i can only tell u that my NOMAD does run cooler -- while on the road and in town i have put them on and off to make sure of this -- when new i noticed the fan would come on when i got off the interstate still going 50/40 even before i stopped and would stay running a while after the speed increased and the temp was in 70s -- was worse at 80/90 -- when fall came i got the chaps for cold weather and started to notice the fan did not run as often -- no temp guage on NOMADs--i checked many times with my infrared thermometer around engine immediately after a good ride and consistently got readings 15* lower than without the chaps -- the most consistent temp is at the base of the cylanders or top rad tank --- im running @ 200 instead of 215
i think i was one of the first to get IVANS flash over a year ago -- he lowered the temp for the fan to come on to 200* -- now even with temps close to 90 or slightly above i have ridden in slow traffic with a few stop lights for 2/3 miles without the fan coming on [yes it does work] and if i take the chaps off fan runs more and longer --- 3 years ago i flushed the cooling system good - have 30% coolant mix / long life Nissan brand coolant [dont no who supplied it] have head pipes wrapped and VnH muffs and slight mod to air box -- and IVANS up dated mod --
i do not now how the bikes with fairings would respond if u could put chaps on em - i assume kaw did some wind tunnel tests to determine the size and shape of the fairing and the need for cooling the engine -- maybe u cannot improve them with add on parts like the NOMAD/CUSTOM
if u dont believe my story come see for yourself -- im not an engineer just an old worn out retired master auto tech getting forgetful
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:40 PM   #3
OldSchool   OldSchool is offline
Sr. Member
 
OldSchool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Ballwin,MO.
Posts: 1,413
I haven't run any specific tests, but I'm with Uncle Willie on this one. My bike does run cooler longer with the chaps on than it does with the chaps off. I have Airlite chaps (great product), covers the whole front except the radiator. I figured it was because when moving the chaps helped direct more airflow to the radiator. Sounds weird, but it is what it is.
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 03:36 PM   #4
SmokeHavel   SmokeHavel is offline
Jr. Member
 
SmokeHavel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Kansas / Saudi Arabia
Posts: 25
Hmm, Does having the stock lowers have any affect on this since they are meant to deflect wind outwards?
__________________


There are many like it... but this one is mine!!
My 2011 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Nomad:
-Vizi-Tech SupaBrake 3 brake light modulator
-Ram Mount cell phone holder

VBA #3599
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 03:57 PM   #5
Sabre-t   Sabre-t is offline
 
Sabre-t's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 376
Just theorizing:

The air that the chaps block has to go somewhere, so maybe they are forcing a bit more thru the radiator. I'm guessing that the increased air to the radiator more than makes up for the reduced air to the cooling fins.

The lowers on the Voyager probably force more air to the outside when they are closed, so I doubt that closing them would affect radiator flow, especially on the ones with KAMS installed. Having them open might increase flow to the cooling fins, though. Having them open certainly makes the rider cooler.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 11:51 AM   #6
mike07nad   mike07nad is offline
Member
 
mike07nad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Palmyra, Pa - Near Hershey
Posts: 190
On the other hand -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre-t View Post
Just theorizing:

The air that the chaps block has to go somewhere, so maybe they are forcing a bit more thru the radiator. I'm guessing that the increased air to the radiator more than makes up for the reduced air to the cooling fins.

The lowers on the Voyager probably force more air to the outside when they are closed, so I doubt that closing them would affect radiator flow, especially on the ones with KAMS installed. Having them open might increase flow to the cooling fins, though. Having them open certainly makes the rider cooler.
For me the exact opposite is true.

* - the shape of the Closed Voyager lower push air both toward the Radiator and away from it.

* On a KAMS equipped bike - There are Engine Cooling fin Blockers that force any air sent into/through the radiator to go down and out instead of across the fins to the riders legs.

* KAMS equipped bike run (gauge) Hotter than a non KAMS equipped bike - the difference is the KAMS equipped bike does not flow the air across the engine on to the Rider. I found on my Non-KAMS Voyager that when it was above 90 it was hotter on the rider with the pods open than closed. 100 Degree air heated across the engine made it like a blast furnace on the rider. Pods Closed helped this.

Also - on my Voyager - I choose to fill the gap between the Fairing and the Pod with a Foam Tube - It changes the aerodynamics a bit and keeps the rain from soaking my knees. So much for the Kawasaki engineers testing this thing in a windtunnel or testing it in the rain.

As always - these are my opinions and your mileage may vary.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 02:13 PM   #7
Sabre-t   Sabre-t is offline
 
Sabre-t's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike07nad View Post
For me the exact opposite is true.

* - the shape of the Closed Voyager lower push air both toward the Radiator and away from it.

* On a KAMS equipped bike - There are Engine Cooling fin Blockers that force any air sent into/through the radiator to go down and out instead of across the fins to the riders legs.

* KAMS equipped bike run (gauge) Hotter than a non KAMS equipped bike - the difference is the KAMS equipped bike does not flow the air across the engine on to the Rider. I found on my Non-KAMS Voyager that when it was above 90 it was hotter on the rider with the pods open than closed. 100 Degree air heated across the engine made it like a blast furnace on the rider. Pods Closed helped this.

Also - on my Voyager - I choose to fill the gap between the Fairing and the Pod with a Foam Tube - It changes the aerodynamics a bit and keeps the rain from soaking my knees. So much for the Kawasaki engineers testing this thing in a windtunnel or testing it in the rain.

As always - these are my opinions and your mileage may vary.
Interesting. It definitely makes sense that the engine runs hotter with KAMS installed.

Some Harley riders add a fan between the jugs to pull more air over the fins. I have thought about doing that and modifying the left dog bowl (I have Chuckster's BAK on the right side) to act like a duct and force that air down and away from me like the KAMS does. That should help cool the engine and also pull in more cool air around the air temp sensor when in stop and go traffic to prevent the overtemp retard from kicking in.

With the lowers open, I definitely feel less heat from the engine than I do with them closed, so I assumed that more air was getting to the cooling fins, too. I haven't paid much attention to the engine temp with them open vs. closed, but enough that I know the difference wasn't anything significant for me.

I'll have to try filling the gap. My knees get soaked, too. I never considered that it was coming thru that gap.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:24 PM   #8
mbarr10   mbarr10 is offline
Member
 
mbarr10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 344
Quote:
I choose to fill the gap between the Fairing and the Pod with a Foam Tube
What is the "Pod" I have used "Pool Noodles" before for wind deflection.
__________________
2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:00 PM   #9
ballbreaker   ballbreaker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: manitoba, canada
Posts: 126
Thanks to all that replied. To Oldschool and Uncle Willie thanks for your input. When I had my nomad the engine guards were quite a bit larger [wider] than what is on my Vaquero which are quite a bit narrower and tend to turn sideways in the wind. Added some clamps and it helped keep them straighter into the wind. May have to install again and try it again. I will let you know what happens. What model are you running Oldschool?
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 11:04 PM   #10
OldSchool   OldSchool is offline
Sr. Member
 
OldSchool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Ballwin,MO.
Posts: 1,413
I have a 2000 nomad 1500. The engine guards are large and they actually curve forward from their mountings.That's why I figured it directed the wind to the radiator.
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 12:11 AM   #11
ballbreaker   ballbreaker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: manitoba, canada
Posts: 126
I still have a set of my nomad engine guard chaps and I put them up against my Vaquero chaps and they are certainly narrow. I will try them again and see what happens.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 06:05 AM   #12
smokier   smokier is offline
 
smokier's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: DBQ Iowa
Posts: 665
Waving Mike-07-Nad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike07nad View Post
(Snip)
Also - on my Voyager - I choose to fill the gap between the Fairing and the Pod with a Foam Tube - It changes the aerodynamics a bit and keeps the rain from soaking my knees.
(snip)
Mike, if memory serves me (which as I age... ), didn't you also say your MPG's improved after adding the foam tube noodle?

I would like to see a picture of how you have that inserted.... Do you mind?

Smokier
__________________
2015 Metallic Carbon Grey "Nadia"
IVANized
ClearView Medium Smoked re-curve
Kuryakyn Kinetic Black Grips
Kuryakyn Heavy Industry Satin Black Mirrors
Kuryakyn Black Long Horn offset pegs.
MeanStreak kickstand
Homemade Tie-down brackets
Customized Gel Seat
Gutted Nomad Exhaust
Phat Risers

'12 Rita Vaquero |'07 Veronicha Venture|'10 Dreama Nomad|'11 Ronda Raider| '01 Pearl 1500 Classic| '88 Vulcan 750 | '79 KZ1000 MKII | '84 Spectre 750 | '81 KZ440G | VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 06:15 AM   #13
mike07nad   mike07nad is offline
Member
 
mike07nad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Palmyra, Pa - Near Hershey
Posts: 190
Pod = Lowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarr10 View Post
What is the "Pod" I have used "Pool Noodles" before for wind deflection.
I sometimes call the lowers on my Voyager - Lower Pods - Not really sure where it came from.

I've used a Pool Noodle also - but they really are Tooooo Thick.

I use 3/4 inch pipe insulation (Gray from Lowes/Home Depot). Cut them into about 1 ft chunks, stick them together because they are split, and wrap 1 end with Duct Tape. Without the Duct Tape 3/4 pipe insulation is a HOSE. Stuff them in the gap. I call it the Ugliest Accessory for a Voyager. I suggest you carry a spare - they will fall out after a while, then you get new ones.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 06:28 AM   #14
mike07nad   mike07nad is offline
Member
 
mike07nad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Palmyra, Pa - Near Hershey
Posts: 190
The Gap is not that big on a Vaquero

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokier View Post
Mike, if memory serves me (which as I age... ), didn't you also say your MPG's improved after adding the foam tube noodle?

I would like to see a picture of how you have that inserted.... Do you mind?

Smokier
Yep - I at one time said that the Gap Fillers helped my MPG. Other than Seat of the pants, non scientific, conjecture I have no proof - Like someone said somewhere in another post - Placebo Effect - Probably.

As far as a picture - Let me see what I've got in the archive.
This shows the Pool Noodle - Don't you just love the Pink Accent on the Red Voyager?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150716_133620043_HDR.jpg (99.9 KB, 30 views)


  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

In Association with VBA Web Join VBA Now!

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.