Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 05-25-2008, 07:24 AM   #1

Wiring help

???Help! Not real smart with wiring, hell not real smart with anything mechanical.

Attempting to add a acessory plug to 2006 Nomad 1600 and attempted to use the white/blue extra acessory wiring in headlight bucket, not working!

I hooked the red wire from plug to the white/blue wire in bucket and then the black wire from plug I grounded to bike-didn't work. I also tried to wire the black wire to the negative acessory wire in bucket (black/yellow) Still did not work.

Tried each way with bike not running and running, could not get it to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. ???

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-25-2008, 08:40 AM   #2
Mega-Contributor

Wiring help

Do you have a multimeter or test light? If so, test the white/blue connector to see if it has any power at all. Try it with the bike turned off to see if constant power, if not - try it with bike running to see if it's switched. If you still get no voltage, check for blown fuse behind RH side cover (near coolant reservoir).
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 05-25-2008, 08:43 AM   #3

Wiring help

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Do you have a multimeter or test light? If so, test the white/blue connector to see if it has any power at all. Try it with the bike turned off to see if constant power, if not - try it with bike running to see if it's switched. If you still get no voltage, check for blown fuse behind RH side cover (near coolant reservoir).
Thanks Cactusjack will give that a look this evening when I get off work.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:53 AM   #4

Wiring help

Quote:
Originally Posted by popey
???Help! Not real smart with wiring, hell not real smart with anything mechanical.

Attempting to add a acessory plug to 2006 Nomad 1600 and attempted to use the white/blue extra acessory wiring in headlight bucket, not working!

I hooked the red wire from plug to the white/blue wire in bucket and then the black wire from plug I grounded to bike-didn't work. I also tried to wire the black wire to the negative acessory wire in bucket (black/yellow) Still did not work.

Tried each way with bike not running and running, could not get it to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. ???
Popey, I had the same problem. That wire is supposed to be hot all the time. I pulled power from it to go thru a relay to power my spots, got it all done, went to try the lights, and nothing. I checked the fuse and it looked good. Checked everything else and looked good. Got my meter out and checked the fuse with it (the ACC fuse in the fusebox behind the right cover) and the meter showed it to be no good. I replaced the fuse, and all is good now

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 05-25-2008, 09:12 PM   #5

Wiring help

For sure check the fuses. Just today I went for a ride and my radio quit when I touched the brakes. I didn't know at the time that I also lost my brakelight and spots on the lightbar as well. When I got home I checked and found a blown fuse.I replaced it and still nothing worked, I removed the fairing to check connections, removed the seat checked more connections, nothing worked. Finally I got out my test light and found that the new fuse I installed was defective. Another new fuse and all is well again, 90 minutes spent on a bad fuse.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-26-2008, 06:03 AM   #6

Wiring help

Hey thanks Guys. That was it. A bad fuse!!

Headed off to Smoky Mountains via Natchez Trace, Tail of the Dragon here we come!!