Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 05-22-2008, 09:37 AM   #1

Power Commander, Thunder Kit Questions

Good Morning to all, its a beautiful day in Music City, USA, Nashville, Tn, low humidity, perfect riding weather.

In my venture to find the perfect bike for me, I have located one in KY that the original owner has made some modifications. The bike has now a Power Commander, Thunder Kit and V & N pipes. My questions are do any of you have this combo on your bike and how drastically has the fuel mileage dropped. The owner said he just wanted more HP out of the bike. Now, I'm a throttle twister myself. But at this old age I want fuel mileage and I want to see the scenery as I travel. Is this a modification worth having on the bike. I know to change it all back would be costly and don't even know how the bike ran before the mods. He has assured me that it ran great, but he wanted the HP so it would pull better on trips with two up and luggage.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-22-2008, 09:50 AM   #2

Don't change anything.

If you want more mileage either down load a high-MPG map from the web & install it, or take your bike to a good Dyno guy and have him re-tune the Power Comander for the best possible mileage.

Some will say that the best possible mileage and best possible power happen at the same time, but this is only true in theory. In the real world there are compromises.

With the setup you have now, you can probably expect about 44 MPG with a passenger, on a level road, no wind, cruising at a very steady 60 MPH. Under the same conditions at a steady 90 MPH, expect to get about 34 MPG. At a steady 50 MPH expect about 48 MPG.

Romping around town like a mad monkey with an itchy throttle hand, expect to get only 30 MPG or even less. Your right hand is BY FAR the biggest factor in all of this.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:48 AM   #3

That is basically the same setup I have. I have a K&N filter instead of a Thunder kit. It works well, especially if you have the right map in the PC. I get about 42-44 Cdn mpg, I think thats about 35-37 US mpg or close. Its a good setup and the bike will sound good also. I also wouldn't change a thing.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 05-22-2008, 02:16 PM   #4

Thanks guys for the info...I don't understand a single thing ya'll typed. But I can learn. The bike is a 2002 that is the beautiful Red/Black combo. I haven't purchased it yet, still workout out the finances. If all this works, and the owner doesn't sell it between the now and the end to next week, I hope I can buy it. The only other issue I would have to contend with is he does not have the stock seat. That is easy to change. There are risers that he said were the limit before you have to change cables on it. Wish me luck.

Skeet

Old 05-22-2008, 04:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet
Thanks guys for the info...I don't understand a single thing ya'll typed....
Not a problem Skeet. The only thing you need to know is this: Once you ride that Nomad 100 miles, you won't care what kind of gas mileage it gets. You'll just want to keep ridin' it.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-22-2008, 04:58 PM   #6
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Thanks guys for the info...I don't understand a single thing ya'll typed. But I can learn. The bike is a 2002 that is the beautiful Red/Black combo. I haven't purchased it yet, still workout out the finances. If all this works, and the owner doesn't sell it between the now and the end to next week, I hope I can buy it. The only other issue I would have to contend with is he does not have the stock seat. That is easy to change. There are risers that he said were the limit before you have to change cables on it. Wish me luck.

Skeet
I assume there is a seat of some sort on it? Probably a Mustang, which is waaaay better than the stock seat.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 05-22-2008, 08:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddmannq
Quote:
Thanks guys for the info...I don't understand a single thing ya'll typed....
Not a problem Skeet. The only thing you need to know is this: Once you ride that Nomad 100 miles, you won't care what kind of gas mileage it gets. You'll just want to keep ridin' it.
100% accurate!

Old 05-23-2008, 11:54 PM   #8

Quote:

Skeet
Your better off with something other than the stock seat, it sounds like the original owner picked all the right stuff for it.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951