Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 04-17-2008, 05:22 PM   #1

Trailer Wiring Problem

Hey all,

I purchased a trailer off ebay to tow behind the Nomad. I recently wired the bike with the Hoppy unit. The bike is wired properly as I have plugged two trailers in to the bike and both of them have worked as they should. Now, the problem is, the trailer that I bought to tow behind the bike will not work properly. I have tried all I know to try and I need some help here. This is what I have done so far to try to solve the problem.

I have rewired the trailer.

I have checked all the bulbs.

I have checked and rechecked the ground.

I have checked and rechecked all the connections.

I have purchased and installed new tail lights.

And I cannot get the right side on the trailer to work. Thing is, the running light on that side is working. I don't know what else to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
John

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-17-2008, 05:47 PM   #2

Trailer Wiring Problem

That's puzzling. You said you rewired the trailer. Did you replace the connector on the trailer also? Maybe it's got a break in the connection for that side. Other then that I can't imagine as you seem to have covered everything.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:50 PM   #3

Trailer Wiring Problem

Best advice I can give is to drag out the continuity tester and start checking wiring on the right side. Pull the bulbs out one at a time and check to see if you have power to the socket. If you do, go on to the next bulb. If not, check the connectors and wire from the previous bulb.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:22 PM   #4

Trailer Wiring Problem

Did you check to see if the bulb is installed correctly in the socket on the right side? Sometimes you have to wiggle them a bit to work. I have had similar problems in the past due to a bulb not seated correctly in the socket.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 04-17-2008, 09:00 PM   #5

Trailer Wiring Problem

The connector is new along with the wiring. I will check the other things you guys mentioned.

Thanks!
John

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-17-2008, 10:01 PM   #6
Sr. Contributor

Trailer Wiring Problem

Just because something is New don't mean squat.. Figure out what color the wire is and test that for power at the 4 flat.

I am a little confused as to what isn't working and assume it is the turn signal. parts made in China, which I am assuming it is, can be frigged pretty easy right out of the box.

.................................................. ........

OT TIP
HF trailers have a grease made for anti rust in shipping, and that is for shipping only! Get that crap out and get real grease 'packed' into the bearings.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 04-18-2008, 12:20 AM   #7

Trailer Wiring Problem

Modern off-the-shelf trailer light kits are crap. I put new lights on my utility trailer and the freakin' wires just plug through some holes in the plastic and get gripped (somewhat) by some (somewhat) springy metal fingers. Talk about bogus!

I ended up taking the lights all apart & soldering the wires in place. This maight be the solution to your malfunction, John.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:09 AM   #8

Trailer Wiring Problem

macmac and Cad,

I'll give those things a try too. I have never had a problem like this before with wiring. I have to do some other work first, and I will try to figure the trailer out later today. I'll let ya know how it goes. Thanks again for the suggestions!

John

Old 04-18-2008, 03:01 PM   #9

Trailer Wiring Problem

Well,

NOTHING worked. I checked the light and it is functioning. I hooked the light to the other side of the trailer and it worked as it should. I am stumped ??? ??? I'll keep on trying.

Old 04-18-2008, 07:46 PM   #10
Sr. Contributor

Trailer Wiring Problem

thats nuts!

Get a ice pick test light and stick the wire from known power then at the lamp, and work back to power.

I gotta know.. I had a problem in a Saab turn sig switch like this and found the wire broken about 1/8" back from the connector, but it looked fine.

Spike the terminal when it should be on and use another ground too... The problem is the problem is too simple....

Re- do any bolt grounds too, That cheap junk chinese crap is BS metal. I got new sandals and I swear the neoprene is made of toxic waste. I get a rash where the pads are anytime I wear these dammed things.

Like Cadd said make sure a spring isn't holding a pony tail of quasimoto copper, that you can see should work, but with a bulb, jumps ship..

For kicks run and Ohms test from the 4 flat to the dam (+) in the socket too..

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 04-20-2008, 04:48 AM   #11

Trailer Wiring Problem

macmac check this out http://www.lamanaphotography.com/walmart2.htm

Old 04-20-2008, 07:35 AM   #12
Sr. Contributor

Trailer Wiring Problem

Misunderstood, yup thank you. Different style though. I wonder what I should do, here even?

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 04-29-2008, 11:57 AM   #13

Trailer Wiring Problem

Thanks again for all the advice. I got it figured out, the right unit was not grounding properly for some odd reason (doesn't make sense as everthing else worked on the trailer) so all I did was to run a ground wire from the left unit to the right unit and as they say, "we are cooking with gas." I have never had that kind of problem before. I'm glad it was something so simple.

Thanks again for the help,
John

Old 04-29-2008, 12:11 PM   #14
Sr. Contributor

Trailer Wiring Problem

Typical of chinese steels and dobs of paint... The right side wasn't grounded well. It makes for nutty situations..

Get a new American made set of bulbs soon too.. On my HF trailer I burned out the cheap junk bulbs in Utah... They didn't last a month!

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 04-29-2008, 12:17 PM   #15

Trailer Wiring Problem

Glad all is well now. :)