Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-31-2009, 11:26 AM   #1

Bafflectomy first impressions

Well, I got bored this weekend, and decided to cut out my baffles. Been hemmin' and hawin' about it for awhile, so I decided just to do it (since I can always weld them back in anyway...). So, now I done it, like to share some thoughts.

First, the debaffling itself. It was easy. Just took the 450 RPM Man Drill (tried the 18 volt cordless, this was far more effective ;) ) and the hole saw and some cutting oil- the cutting took a whopping 5 mins. Maybe. That's both sides. Grabbed onto both with a pair of vice grip needle nose, and wiggled 'em right out. I doubt I spent 10 mins on the whole thing.

So, cutting and pulling all done- turn the key, quiver with excitement, push the button, and...

Holy Cow!!! Those puppies hold back a LOT of sound. It is definitely WAY louder than stock. That being said, it's not straight pipe Harley obnoxious. It's like a throaty growl. A little bit of that no-muffler throbbing kinda sound, but not much. At first I thought it was gonna be too much, but after taking it for a ride, I like it. Ride it nice, it's just a nice rumble, hammer that throttle, and you got a mean growl. Cruising, it's hardly any different than stock. Just a little rumble to let you know it's there. If you want a comparison, my bike is now slightly louder than my fathers 900 classic with stock exhaust. He thinks it's a lot louder, but he's never ridden next to his bike before, he's always on top ;)

It's definitely a keeper for me. Looking at the baffles, I can't see how they would change much, if any, back pressure. There's nothing to them. I doubt it changed the bike any, although the deep growl makes it feel faster After a few tanks of fuel, I'll post if there's any change in mileage.

I plan to do some experimentation with custom baffles and piping. Want to see if I can get a little more 'thump' and a little less 'growl'. We'll see what, if anything, I come up with.

Well, there's one young guys opinion on the Nomad bafflectomy. Add it to your books! :)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-31-2009, 11:37 AM   #2

Good job! I'm glad you like it!
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 08-31-2009, 01:19 PM   #3

I haven't heard a Nomad with the baffles removed since I swapped mine for the V&H.How does the sound compare to stock V&H with stock baffles or the Ultimate Baffles?.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:58 PM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

Wayyyy quieter than V&H with either baffle...

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 08-31-2009, 02:11 PM   #5

Like I stated above, the sound is far quieter than straight pipes and comparable to stock Vulcan 900 classic volume. It is not, by any means, really loud. As I left my parents house with a light throttle, my dad said that he could hardly hear it any more than when it was stock. It does kick more under heavy twist, but it's still not worthy of earplugs in any position.
But, not having heard V&H or Cobra's or any other pipes on the nad, I can't really comment on a comparison. I just imagine they have considerably more sound to them ;)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-31-2009, 05:38 PM   #6
Top Contributor

RREEEAAALLLYYYY Way quiter than V&H in any form. I rode one day next to a de baff stock pipes and I couldn't hear him talking to me over my pipes. I couldnt hear his pipes at all. Its sorta like a Corvair with glass packs. :-)

Old 09-01-2009, 10:20 PM   #7

For me the debaffle was just right. I really like the tone without the racket. But feel it's a to each his own situation. I've had open drag pipes on a Harley and it was OK because it was a Harley, to be expected I guess. I was concerned the LW would pitch a fit after I debaffled, she hates the loud hog sound. Soooo, I slipped out to the shop in mid winter did the deed and never mentioned it. She has rode with me many a mile this year and the exhaust volume topic has never come up.
VBA #656
Black 2007 1600 Nomad

Old 09-02-2009, 05:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelie
For me the debaffle was just right. I really like the tone without the racket. But feel it's a to each his own situation. I've had open drag pipes on a Harley and it was OK because it was a Harley, to be expected I guess. I was concerned the LW would pitch a fit after I debaffled, she hates the loud hog sound. Soooo, I slipped out to the shop in mid winter did the deed and never mentioned it. She has rode with me many a mile this year and the exhaust volume topic has never come up.
Here is a man that fully understands the concept "Forgiveness is easier to get than permission".
My girlfriend says the ultimate baffles are too loud,but I like them,so I'll use them running around town and swap for longer trips.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:27 AM   #9

While doing swingarm maintenance several months ago, I started my Nomad with no mufflers. I had header pipes and goat belly installed only. I expected super loud, instead it sounded about the same as with the debaffled pipes installed. Sure the debaffle makes the Nomad throaty sounding. And, I truly like the improved sound. But nothing much more is going to happen until the goat belly leaves the bike.

Considering the summer heat in Texas and the propensity of the Nomad to ping, any adjustments to the exhaust seems to beg for a TFI to be installed. After about $2k worth of accessories ( I still haven't bought a seat), I should have bought the TFI first, not last.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:19 PM   #10
Advanced Member

Debaffled a friend's 08 and I cannot really tell the difference! Might be slightly louder - but not anything I noticed. Maybe Ima deaf. Whadja say???

Old 09-02-2009, 12:26 PM   #11

MAYBE YA IS!!
I think part of it might be that I have good earses. I'm a musical guy, and hearing sensitivity has always been a problem for me- having it and protecting it! Hard to get on stage a sing a song if you can't hear it!
But I still say there's a significant difference between stock and debaffled. Just not as big a change as aftermarket pipes. Just heard a friends Meanstreak (same powerplant, but it revs a little higher than our Nomads) with straight pipes on it. Definitely blows my sound away. No competition!

Old 09-02-2009, 01:02 PM   #12
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy

"I plan to do some experimentation with custom baffles and piping. Want to see if I can get a little more 'thump' and a little less 'growl'. We'll see what, if anything, I come up with."

I thought I'd throw my hat in the ring here and just say that I found just having the pipes debaffled, was a nice change and a bit "throatier". I found an additional change to the better when I'd done the duel "Caddman" { along with the TFI of course} to the bike. Louder and more of that "thump" that I'm going to guess is what you're looking for. More air in and more going out.
I ride now and then with a guy from work, and he's on a stock Harley. Although he's a bit louder, the tone and "thump" are pretty close. His thoughts AND mine. So you might want to do that as one of your experiments Ryan.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 09-02-2009, 01:51 PM   #13
Sr. Contributor

[quote
Here is a man that fully understands the concept "Forgiveness is easier to get than permission".
My girlfriend says the ultimate baffles are too loud,but I like them,so I'll use them running around town and swap for longer trips.[/quote]

You Sir, are a candiate for buying a tomahawk with a loose head to soak in thje toliet!
I just happen to have a few hawks to sell, and these are a good training tool for a man with an out of controll woman.

You simply leave the lids up and soak the hawk untill no more training sessions are required...

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 09-02-2009, 02:07 PM   #14

Rickyboy- the more air in/out thump is exactly what I'm looking for, although it didn't occur to me that changing the intake would change the out (duh). Soon as I get the funds, I'll be putting a fuel processor on the bike, and will open up that intake to let her breath. Thanks for the tip!!

Mac- there was a time I could have used one of those hawks- but I found an easier solution. Lose the girl! She was beyond retraining anyway...