Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Regional Groups > Regional Groups > SouthWest Group

Old 07-14-2008, 04:44 PM   #1
Mega-Contributor

Regional mini-rally discussion

The Southwest Region is geographically large and due to the time and expense involved, I don't know how possible or practical it is to try and rally everyone together more than once a year.

I'd love to be able to attend the NorCal bash in the Sierras, but just can't make it work. I'm guessing there are others in the same boat.

So...I propose we do more frequent, but smaller "mini rallies". The concept is simple. Try and plan rides and get-togethers that are within a days ride for attendees. This way, we could plan them as 3 or 4-day weekends.

Example: San Diego/Los Angeles, Albuquerque, and Las Vegas are all within a day's ride for me.

All KawaNOW members and their guests would be welcome, but the target is really smaller groups within a day's ride of the destination.

So toss out some suggestions with the above criteria in mind, and let's see if we can put something together for late summer or early fall.

VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-14-2008, 05:01 PM   #2
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

that sounds like a great idea Scott!

did I just say that??? I need a beer

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 07-14-2008, 07:01 PM   #3
Top Contributor

I agree with ya CJ. Maybe have one on the eastern side and one on the western side. Heck, I looked at what it would be for you to drive to say Cortez or Durango and you have a shorter trip than me and I never leave the state.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 07-14-2008, 07:07 PM   #4

That's the problem we have here too. It's a big place.

Friends call me from New York and say, "I'm flying into San Francisco. You wanna have lunch?" oblivious to the fact that I'm in California but I'm 4 hours from San Francisco.

...Unless you get in to San Francisco around lunchtime & then it's 5 hours.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:11 PM   #5

Sounds like a good idea CJ, it is a lot of traveling, not that there is much wrong with that. Although, I put nearly 40K mi on my first bike and never left Colorado, except to flip just across the border into Wyoming where that part looks a little bit like Colorado. Now have Nomad, will travel far!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-14-2008, 08:30 PM   #6

Good idea Scott. Although "a days ride" is subjective. :)
I mean, it's one thing for one rider, but if you ask Chuck Burt what his idea of a days ride is...wow!
For me, 500 miles or less constitutes a day. Although I have done more, and am willing to do so again depending on the destination (and the people there lol). If I do 700 miles in a day I'm pretty whipped when I arrive.

Audiogooroo - Daryl Porter
Colorado Springs, CO
VBA #248
VROC #17261
1999 Grn/Grn Nomad

Old 07-14-2008, 08:57 PM   #7

Yeah, 400, maybe 500 miles solo or 300 miles packin' a passenger is about the daily limit for me, but it depends a lot on the roads & the weather.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:19 PM   #8
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiogooroo
Good idea Scott. Although "a days ride" is subjective. :)
I mean, it's one thing for one rider, but if you ask Chuck Burt what his idea of a days ride is...wow!
For me, 500 miles or less constitutes a day. Although I have done more, and am willing to do so again depending on the destination (and the people there lol). If I do 700 miles in a day I'm pretty whipped when I arrive.
When I said "day's ride" I meant how far I would ride in a day and feel good about it, 400-450 miles or so, depending on weather. I realize it's a subjective measurement.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 07-23-2008, 09:11 PM   #9

While we realize ya all can't make it this fer, we'd like to have you guys at the "Sierra Gold Run" coming up August 15th.

Friday ride in to a canyon resort, just above Tahoe in the beautiful Sierra Madras, where there's a BBQ dinner at our cabins (1st chef, Redeye & Anita). After a night visiting under a full moon along the edge of Cold Creek with only your best buds around a campfire will be special.

Oh, and let me mention - no one else but you scraggly bikers will be there.

Now, I haven't even mentioned the ride planned for Saturday, which ends with a dinner out in one of the best Mexican Restaurants found.

There's still several cabins available.

Sure be fun to see you there!

Here's our go for sure guys, rid'n 2-up....

Redeye
CaddmannQ
Valdez

call me