Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 06-11-2008, 03:33 AM   #1

Send a message via MSN to ianicky
First ride with wife !!

Finally got the wife on the back of the Nomad last night, its her first time on a bike and I'm glad to say she absolutely loved it, we went out around 18:00 and returned nearly 21:30, after the first few miles and a few head buts from her she relaxed and enjoyed the ride and i must say how well the Nomad handles 2 up, i think its a better bike 2 up. The only down side to the trip was she put a small scratch on the saddle bag :'( i will get her out there today with the polish ;)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-11-2008, 03:59 AM   #2

First ride with wife !!

Congrats on getting to enjoy it as a couple.

Old 06-11-2008, 04:27 AM   #3

First ride with wife !!

That was the main reason that I bought my Nomad. I have an '06 Katana as well. She went on that a few times, but it was uncomfortable for her. We looked for about 6 mos. We had actually came I__I this close to buying a Yamaha V-Star, but backed out at the last minute. We went to the MC show in Atlanta in Feb. It was good, because she was able to sit on just about everything. It was there she decided it was going to be an '05 or later Nomad. She liked the seat and the grab handles the '05 and later have as part of the backrest support. So far, we have not been disappointed. She loves to ride with me.

Old 06-11-2008, 04:30 AM   #4
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
First ride with wife !!

Yes ...good for her !
My wife will not get on another bike, she says, for the rest of her life. I've mentioned on this site before that a few years ago the two of us were hit by a deer on our Yamaha Venture, while vacationing in the Queen Charlotte Islands in Northern BC. She got tossed and I went with the bike. She rolled around and banged her head a few dozen times ...she says, and suffered from somewhat serious road rash, and bruises. She managed to get back on the bike for most of the trip home, but took a bus part of the way back . I'm OK with riding alone these days but riding was going to be something we were going to do together. I try every now and again, to get her on the back of the Nomad, but so far it's a no go. I don't blame her really. I know a few men who won't ride again after one accident/close call. But my wife is great and doesn't want me to stop doing what I like. In fact,... and I love to tell people that she actually paid for my new, 06 Nomad. She got an inheritance and took some of it and said "go get the bike you want". How many guys can say that?? But good for you and your wife ianicky. Many happy miles/kms. ahead for the two of you.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 06-11-2008, 05:16 AM   #5

First ride with wife !!

Good for you. My wife went for a ride with me a few weeks ago and said that although she enjoyed her ride, it wasn't for her.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-11-2008, 06:47 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
First ride with wife !!

I'm happy for you and your bride. My wife will go for short trips but refuses to ride very far at all. I want to do Yellowstone NP on the Nomad but she will have none of it. Guess I will have to throw on the fishing gear and go by myself.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 06-11-2008, 08:22 AM   #7

First ride with wife !!

Hey ianicky, the little lady might ride more if you got her a seat to sit on , all jokes aside, I'm happy for you. My wife loves to ride as much and as far as I do. We meet lots of couples out on the road and have developed quiet a few new friendships

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 06-11-2008, 08:22 AM   #8
Advanced Member

First ride with wife !!

My wife actually got me to take the MSF class and start riding 3 years ago.
I bought a small used bike to start with and we had a blast so I upgraded to the Nomad in March.

We're having even more of a blast now.

Ricky, I'm sorry to hear about the accident ya'll had. I'm sure my wife would be the same way.
I pray it never happens.

Scott

Old 06-11-2008, 08:26 AM   #9

First ride with wife !!

Glad to hear it ianicky, Cindy loves to ride with me. The farther and more often the better. She is taking the MSF course this month and is looking for a bike of her own
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 06-11-2008, 08:40 AM   #10

First ride with wife !!

My wife loves to ride with me, and I think eventually she will get her own bike. The only "problem" we have right now is finding the best way for her to get on and off the Nomad. She's short, 5'2", and can't swing her leg over the backrest if I'm on the bike. We're trying having her get on before I do, but she's not real crazy about that either. She's paranoid about hitting a saddlebag and scuffing it, so she's trying to find a good way to get off and on. Any suggestions?
We're heading to the Black Hills of South Dakota at the end of the month for a conference, and we're taking the Nomad. I've ridden in the Black Hills a few times, but never on a Nomad. I love it down there and can't wait to get there.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:44 AM   #11

First ride with wife !!

The Nomad really does ride better with a passenger. That's the nature of a heavy cruiser.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:46 AM   #12

First ride with wife !!

My wife likes to ride also and was having a problem getting on and off the Noamd. I get on and lean forward over the tank and she can step thru. Try this it might help

Old 06-11-2008, 09:47 AM   #13
Top Contributor

First ride with wife !!

Prairie, what conference are you going to?? I have one in Rapid City on June 25 & 26 with the National Sunflower Association. Plan on doing some riding also on Friday and Saturday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie cruiser
My wife loves to ride with me, and I think eventually she will get her own bike. The only "problem" we have right now is finding the best way for her to get on and off the Nomad. She's short, 5'2", and can't swing her leg over the backrest if I'm on the bike. We're trying having her get on before I do, but she's not real crazy about that either. She's paranoid about hitting a saddlebag and scuffing it, so she's trying to find a good way to get off and on. Any suggestions?
We're heading to the Black Hills of South Dakota at the end of the month for a conference, and we're taking the Nomad. I've ridden in the Black Hills a few times, but never on a Nomad. I love it down there and can't wait to get there.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 06-11-2008, 09:52 AM   #14
Top Contributor

First ride with wife !!

My wife also loves the Nomad. Started on BUBF which she never really liked. Did everything to make her comfortable. New seat and tall backrest. Lowered the pegs. She could never get comfortable. When she wasn't she let me know with a few good helmet slaps.

Purchased the first Nomad (99) and even without the backrest on the way home she didn't say one thing. Got home and she said she would feel better with a backrest but liked it much better. She now loves to ride the bike and always wants to do rides when she can.

I did ask her once why she liked it so much. Her reply was, "I never knew what I was missing when riding in a car. The views you see without the glass, roof and posts is fabulous."
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 06-11-2008, 10:26 AM   #15

First ride with wife !!

Waterman, my wife is the one who is going to a conference. It's the National League of Cities conference in Rapid City. It's a convention for city leaders. I'm just going along for the ride! We're heading down there on the 27th.