Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 11-03-2015, 08:34 PM   #1

A Few Thoughts

As many of you know Jared and Jay have stepped down and they have asked Amin and I to fill their roles with the VBA.
There wasn't a vote, we were asked to help and we both agreed to do what we could.
I agreed to help because the VBA has been important to me. I've gotten a lot out of it.
Not the least of which is the friendships made by attending VBA rallies.
I'm sure Amin would say the same.

I'll tell you some of my thoughts about The VBA. I'll try to be brief,

First, I want to thank everyone who has helped The VBA as National Leaders, Region Leaders, Assistant Leaders and Moderators.
Not just those currently in those positions but everyone who has helped in the past.
The VBA's success is in no small part due to your efforts.
With over 3200 VBA members and over 7000 registered user on the forum we're a large group and still growing.

While talking to Trip in Antlers last month he explained why he thought the VBA web site is important.
I confess I rarely went to the site, but as Trip said it's the face of the VBA and it explains
who we are and what we're all about to people looking for information.
Jared has put in a lot work getting it setup. Hours and hours of work.
I'm still learning my way around it.
I'll be asking for some help with information to put even more on the site.
We'll add more info about the VBA's history and past events.
It will also be a great spot to go for info on upcoming rallies and for photos and videos of past rallies.

I'm not that active on FaceBook. But many are and it's the fastest growing part of the VBA.
The fact that many connect with other member on FaceBook hasn't helped activity on the forum.
FaceBook does have several advantages compared to the forum, it has several disadvantages as well in my opinion.
But VBA members are using it and that's a good thing.
To me the forum should be the main way for members to communicate about VBA related events.
The VBA site will have information on it, the FaceBook page will also be a place to get answers to questions
but the forum should be the #1 place for members to share info and get answers to questions.

The rallies are the best part of the VBA. Period. If you haven't been you're missing out.
Connecting with other members via the internet is great, but it doesn't compare to a rally.
Yes, the forum gets your questions answered, and you get to know people somewhat,
but in that way the VBA is little more than a monitor and a keyboard.
It won't make real friendships and it certainly won't make memories.
Riding is what the VBA is all about and there is no better way to enjoy it than at a rally.

The first rally we went to was the South Central rally in 2010.
I was hesitant because I thought everyone else had known each other for years.
We'd be the new guys and not really a part of the group.
I wondered about riding with people I didn't know. I was a bit nervous about it.

Does this sound like you? Is this why you haven't gone to a rally?

I couldn't have been more wrong. I barely had the bike unloaded when someone knocked on the door.
It was Jim "Oldbikers" Hardin, the South Central leader there to welcome me.
Everyone was friendly and we quickly felt like part of the group.
I haven't missed a Regional Rally or National Rally since.
You won't find a better group of people than VBA rally go'ers.

At that time there was an excitement about the future of KawaNOW. Everyone wanted it to get bigger and better.
Many put forth the effort to make that happen. But it seems that to some it only got bigger.
Once membership grew the "It's not like it use to be" was heard.

The VBA is a great group, it's been thru changes and still has a long life ahead of it.
But it does seems like in time we've lost a little steam. I'm sure some no longer ride.
Maybe to some the new wore off and they just lost interest.

When I joined in 2009 there was a lot of activity on the forum. There is no reason why there shouldn't be today.
Yes, there is FaceBook, Twitter, email, text and a number of other ways to keep up with friends,
but from what I hear many people have waited on someone else to do something.
I don't exclude myself in that.
On more than a few occassions I've heard "Well I check this board and that one and if there is nothing new there I leave"
or "No one ever post anything I'm interested in"

The forum is about motorcycles, but not limited to only that. It isn't FaceBook and shouldn't be.
There is no need to share every aspect of your life like some do on FaceBook.
But there is an"Off Topic" section. You could post something that interests you in there.
Or your region board. Remember those?
It's said nobody in the south doesn't have a favorite football team.
There has to be a few sports fans out there somewhere. Surely there is something worth talking about.
The VBA needs it's long time members to remain active regardless of what brand they're riding.
It also needs newer members to get involved. You have to make an effort to get and stay involved.
It won't just happen.

I will add that obviously no one here can truly affect Kawasaki's decision making.
One third of the bikes that make up the Vulcan Bagger line up,
the very bike this organization was founded on is no longer in production.
But these bikes and the people who own / owned them are what the VBA is all about.
I'm sure at times Kawasaki employees read this forum.
Post that are critical of Kawasaki in regards to available features, color choices etc. is understandable.
But there is a line that if crossed makes some members, especially newer ones wonder if this is a place they want to be.
Let's stay behind that line.

As others have said before, no one needs to defend their decision to ride a Vulcan Bagger.
This forum should be the place people come to for answers to questions about their Vulcans.
I'm certain there is more knowledge here than anywhere else.

Winter is on it's way and the riding season is drawing to an end in some areas.
But the regional rallies will take place next year. Two already have information posted.
The others will be posted before long. So save a few bucks, get some time off, get on your motorcycle and go to one.
You won't regret it.

The VBA is important to me, and it will continue to be what the members make it.
It will go as far as you guys take it. You're the horses pulling the wagon.

Let's work to make a this great organization even better.
Got some ideas? Amin and I would love to hear what you think.

Respectfully,

Dave Jesse

Dave Jesse
2012 1700 Gray/Black Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad Green/Silver Sold
VBA #1108

2010- Eureka Springs - Antlers - 2011- Maggie Valley - Antlers
2012- Margaritaville Ride - Van Buren - Antlers - 2013- Estes Park - Antlers
2014- Mountain View - Antlers - 2015- Eureka Springs - Antlers
2016- Salem - Antlers - 2017- Eureka Springs - Lake George - Antlers - 2018- Custer - Antlers

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-03-2015, 08:58 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudMan View Post
I'll tell you some of my thoughts about The VBA. I'll try to be brief,

Let's work to make a this great organization even better.
Got some ideas? Amin and I would love to hear what you think.

Respectfully,

Dave Jesse

I thought you were going to be brief....no wait " try to be brief"
All kidding aside I couldn't have said it any better. Thank you for this write up and thank you for taking the reins of this great organization that has so many great members and lead us to keep making it prosper.
VROC#34321
VBA#01867

2012 NCR Rally Savanna. IL.
2013 National Rally Estes Park, CO
2014 NC/SC Rally in the Ozarks, Mountain View AR
2014 NE US/Eastern Canada Rally,Lincoln NH
2015 VBA/VRA Eureka Springs AR
2015 Antlers Rally, Antlers OK.
2016 SCR Rally Salem MO.
2016 NCR Rally Hillsboro WI
2017 Eureka Springs AR
2017 National Rally Lake George NY
2004 Blue and Silver 1500 Nomad(RIP 9-26-19)
2000 Red and Silver 1500 Nomad
2012 Pearl White 1700 Voyager

Old 11-03-2015, 09:08 PM   #3
Advanced Member

',,,,,but the forum should be the #1 place for members to share info and get answers to questions.......'

I joined the forum when I first got my '03 1500 Nomad in March 2014 with the hopes of learning more about the bikes ups and downs and the tricks of the repairs. This forums members have a wealth of information to share and along the way it has become the first place I read the funny pages at 4 in the mornings with my bowl of cereal and the last place before going to bed. Everyone here has always been super nice to me and made it a pleasure to read all new post. I was on the VN750 forum for years but a hand full of members have managed to all but kill off the forum. I still check in time to time to help answer the new members questions. Most of the new guys are ready to leave after the smart azz guys start their popping off, calling their questions dumb. I guess what I'm getting to is this forum is Great because of the members that participate in the forum. Give yourselves a pat on the back for being a part in not only making the forum what it is today but maintaining it to be first rate. I look forward to not only years with the bike but years of reading and contributing to the forum.

Patriot Guard Riders
Sons Of Liberty Riders Alabama Road Captain
2015 Voyager
2003 1500 NOMAD FI sold 6/19
VBA #2993
RUSSELL DAYLONG SEATS ROCK!!
DAMMIT TOOL:
Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling "DAMMIT" at the top of your lungs

There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.

SO MANY ROADS,
SO LITTLE TIME.

Old 11-03-2015, 10:05 PM   #4

My first rally was the NE in 2012 and I had many of the same feelings you had
Dave. I had made plans to do the Maggie Valley National but work and other factors kept me from it. 2012 was planned around our family vacation and much to my wife's distress it included taking the bike to Pennsylvania. I had a great time on the rally rides not so much for the wife. Not sure if I will ever get her to another.

2013 was the national in Estes and vacation time and other commitments keep me from going. Not to mention I wasn't sure how I would like to do day after day high mileage knowing that I hate interstate driving.

2014 I made plans to attend the South East in Elkins and had a friend lined up to go with me. He became ill at the last minute and the plans fell apart.

When 2015 came around I had made up my mind that I would be wherever the national rally was as long as it could be done in a one week trip. Eureka Springs was announced and I immediately got my room reservation and started spending hours on mapping programs working out my travel route to and from the rally. The goal was to keep the mileage about 400 per day traveling to and from the rally. It also had to avoid as much interstate as possible. The route was settled on and it consisted of all state and us routes. and could be done in 2 and a half days each way. It also was not the same route in both directions. It's all about the ride.

I had the pleasure of meeting and riding with Dave and Amin in Eureka Springs and believe the VBA is in very good hands.

Currently blocking out two weeks of vacation for 2016 to be used for rallies. Can't wait for the announcement for the NE / Eastern Canada to see where I might be going. The North Central rally is only a hard day of riding from me but the ferry trip across Lake Michigan makes it turn into two days. Need some more info so decisions can be made. But I will be somewhere at a rally in 2016. Need to start designing a aux fuel tank for the old girl so I can get more than 125 miles between fill-ups

DC

VBA/KawaNOW #01625
Christian Motorcyclists Assoc.
Wheels Of Destiny Chapter #735
PA Wilds NE/Eastern Canada regional rally July 2012
Eureka Springs National 2015
Rolling Thunder Washington DC 2016
NE US / E Canada Rally - Mont Tremblant, QC 2016
VRA Eastern National at Maggie Valley 2017
99 Nomad G1 gone but never forgotten traded 4/8/17 for a 2017 Indian Roadmaster

Old 11-03-2015, 10:37 PM   #5

Dave and Amin, I admire that you both have taken over the reins of this fine organization and I believe in it. It has been a great wealth of information as well as forming some good friendships. I had the priviledge of attending the rally in Elkins, WV in 2014 and at first I thought that I would be the outcast, but I was wrong. I had a blast meeting fellow riders and finally getting a chance to put a face with the name. I had made plans to attend the 2015 Eureka Springs rally, but some unexpected family emergencies came up and I was unable attend. I have made plans to attend this years southeast regional rally (fingers crossed). I, for one, read the forum everyday, sometimes I post and sometimes I just read. I will continue to support this forum anyway that I can. Thanks to all who attribute.
1996 800A Customized (SOLD)
2001 1500 Nomad (The Mistress)
2013 Voyager

2014 SE Rally - Elkins, WV
2016 SE Rally - Helen, Ga

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-04-2015, 08:16 AM   #6

Very well said Dave.
Even though I no longer ride a Kawasaki this is my "go to" forum first thing every morning.
For me it's not so much about the brand as it is about the friendships I have made attending Rides and Rallies.
I believe that the VBA is in VERY capable hands.
Thank you Dave and Amin.

2011 National Rally
2012 NCR Rally
2012 Antlers Rally
2013 National Rally
2013 Antlers Rally
2014 NC/SC Rally
2014 Antlers Rally
2015 VRA/VBA Rally
2016 NCR Rally
2016 Antlers Rally
2017 Antlers Rally
2018 NC/SC Rally
2018 Antlers Rally
2019 Antlers Rally
2020 Antlers Rally
2022 Antlers Rally
2023 Antlers Rally

2021 Indian Roadmaster Limited
2022 Indian Roadmaster

Old 11-04-2015, 02:44 PM   #7

I have to agree that going to the various rallies and rides and meeting other members and making new friends is one of the best parts of the VBA!

"Sun on my face, wind in my hair, sound of my bike in my ears and peace in my soul..."
VBA Member #01514
2008 "Ultra" Nomad 1600, Candy Plasma Blue

Old 11-04-2015, 04:07 PM   #8

I've been a member for quiet a few years now, since the KawaNOW days. I joined to learn about my bike, and to meet others with the same type of bike. I really look forward to the rallies each year, and so does my wife. I was a little hesitant to go to my first rally, not knowing anyone, but after I got there, I was amazed at how friendly everyone was, and how welcome I felt to be there.
I was a little disappointed at the VBA turn out at the combined rally with the VRA back in June, but I still had a blast of a time meeting everyone there. I know everyone's circumstances are different, but if you are able to swing it, you should really try to make it to a rally, you won't be disappointed, and you will probably start new friendships that could last the rest of your life.
On Facebook or any other social media, I recon that I'm just old fashioned, because I just don't do them. This forum is the first place I go to when I get home from work, I read a lot and make post sometimes. This place is full of some very good and knowledgeable people, ready to help if they can, and like in any large group, there are some with strong opinions, that's just life, but on the other hand, your reading words that someone has typed, and you can't see their expressions, so sometimes things meant one way are taken the other way and some feathers might get ruffled.
This is a great forum, and the only thing I would like to see change, is to get a more robust turnout for the rallies.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 11-04-2015, 05:52 PM   #9

A big "Thank you" to you and Amin for stepping up.

I intend to make a VBA rally, just to put a face with the many helpful names.

Ride safe,
Smokier
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Old 11-04-2015, 06:03 PM   #10
Top Contributor

Unfortunately due to leg issues I cannot attend rallies. That would require me to drive several days in a row. Sciatica and blood clots make riding long distances day after day very painful. My initial reason for joining the VBA was to gain knowledge of the Vulcans with regard to repairs and maintenance, and to share my experience with others. Hopefully the VBA will be around for many years to come.

Even though I no longer own a bike I still enjoy visiting the VBA website every day and posting my experience with my Nomad and Voyager if it can help someone.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:29 PM   #11

The rallies are the best part of the VBA. I know the information is great. I've spent $1,000 on my bike because of the great info but the reason I stay are the rallies. I was just like everybody, apprehensive and nervous at my first rally but now I can't wait for the next one. I've made more friend since I got back in the saddle and have road places I would have never gone by myself. So if your on the fence about a rally just come on out we would love to see you.
Thanks again to Dave and Amin for taking on this challenge. Dealing with all of us will be the challenge of your life, well next to your wives.

David (Framer) Marang
2018 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
VBA#02245
VROC#35311

2013 Antlers 2014 Mountain View 2014 Antlers
2015 Eureka Springs 2015 Antlers 2016 Salem 2016 Antlers
2017 Eureka Springs 2017 Lake George 2017 Antlers
2018 Custer

Old 11-05-2015, 06:09 AM   #12
Sr. Contributor

Thanks Dave, that was all said extremely well.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 11-05-2015, 04:45 PM   #13

Well said Dave, you are so right. Attending VBA rallies and meeting so many great people has been what I've enjoyed most about riding a motorcycle. I have many friends that I would have never met had it not been for finding this forum. I also ride a different brand now, but still enjoy this forum. Thanks to you and Amin for taking over the leadership of the VBA.

Joe "Griz" Grisolano
2008 Arctic Pearl Honda Goldwing
2008 Black/Red Nomad - Traded September, 2013
VBA #1210
Pittsburg, Kansas

Last edited by Griz; 11-05-2015 at 04:47 PM.

Old 11-06-2015, 08:07 AM   #14

Well said Dave. Thanks to you and Amin for stepping up. You missed the brief part. LOL

Love the VBA and the rallies. I go to the ones that I have time and money to get to. Yes, I do end up on Facebook a lot, but I make an effort to post information here as well as there. This site has been very valuable as a resource since I bought my first Vulcan in 2007. Love the information and the people that are part of this group. Thanks again.
VBA #01416
2012 Vaquero SE Candy-Lime Green/Black
aka "T'Kehla"
2005 Nomad 1600 Black/Silver
aka "Mystique" (SOLD)
2006 Vulcan Classic
aka "Lil'Wolf" (SOLD)

"Life isn't a race; no one gets out alive. May as well slow down and enjoy the ride."

Old 11-06-2015, 01:48 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckrider View Post
I have to agree that going to the various rallies and rides and meeting other members and making new friends is one of the best parts of the VBA!
I agree with what you and others have said 100%. I met a lot of great people in Estes Park and Orofino and made some good friends. Always felt welcome. Its fun to put faces to the names.
VBA #1976
Bancroft,Idaho
2012 Electa Glide Classic
2003 Nomad FI(Past)