Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 02-12-2018, 11:06 PM   #1

FI light & no start

Need some help. Without going into too much detail and humiliating myself.....was working on my '01 Nomad, standing on the right side, when it started "leaning" towards me and falling over. Grabbed under the tank and the seat to try to stop it (handle bars were off), and the tank "got loose". Got the bike back up and on the kickstand. Put it all back together, tank still loose (rocks from side to side), and tried to start. Everything seemed to be okay until I hit the start button. FI light is on and there's no power. Assume something is loose under the tank. Hopefully a connector that I can simply plug back together.

Anyone experienced anything similar? The shop manual I have is not the correct one for the FI model so the procedure for removing the tank, and the connectors under it, aren't covered.

HELP.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-13-2018, 12:40 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperAH1G View Post
Need some help. Without going into too much detail and humiliating myself.....was working on my '01 Nomad, standing on the right side, when it started "leaning" towards me and falling over. Grabbed under the tank and the seat to try to stop it (handle bars were off), and the tank "got loose". Got the bike back up and on the kickstand. Put it all back together, tank still loose (rocks from side to side), and tried to start. Everything seemed to be okay until I hit the start button. FI light is on and there's no power. Assume something is loose under the tank. Hopefully a connector that I can simply plug back together.
Anyone experienced anything similar? The shop manual I have is not the correct one for the FI model so the procedure for removing the tank, and the connectors under it, aren't covered.

HELP.
yes that could be a problem and it certaainly needs checked , i would checkmthe clutch switch and make sure the connectors are both plugged up. I’ve found it’s the easiest of all to get jostled loose and cause a no crank situation.

"Ride hard or stay home" Joe Robinson aka Old Dog, R.I.P

Old 02-13-2018, 08:08 AM   #3
Top Contributor

If I am not mistaken I think there is a tip over sensor that shuts the engine off in the event of a spill.
I am not sure if it would be activated if the engine was not running at the time of the spill.

It is only activated for so long. Have you tried starting it again this morning ?

Last edited by redjay; 02-13-2018 at 11:55 AM.

Old 02-13-2018, 07:31 PM   #4
Top Contributor

Did you try the bike this evening ?

Old 02-14-2018, 01:04 AM   #5

Denny 606....right on the money. Checked the plug and it was out. Plugged back in and it fired right up.

Thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-14-2018, 01:06 AM   #6

In checking the tank, found the tank was off the front connection. Took the nut off and had to install a flat washer. Tightened the nut and it's better, but still has about 1/2" play from side to side.....not tight. Guess I'll keep working on it 'til I find out why. Not riding it until I do.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:56 AM   #7

If you look at the underside of the tank you'll see a round rubber gasket ( looks like a 2" cap ) on each side . One of mine fell off while I was working on my bike . Found it laying on the throttle body . I used a bit of silicone to hold them in place . There are also rubber pads on the top of the frame where the tank sits , one on each side .

Part # 92075 , # 92160A

Hope this helps

www.kawasakipartshouse.com/oemparts/a/kaw/500b268af8700223e4790782/fuel-tank-1-3-vn1500-l2

Last edited by Ridefree; 02-14-2018 at 08:04 AM.

Old 02-14-2018, 11:03 AM   #8

Dampers

Thanks for comment on the pads. I went on Partzilla to see all the parts of the tank install. There are two pads that sit on the frame and two round dampers....all the parts you mentioned. Waiting for the sun to come out and warm things up in my shed before I go work on it.

Again, thanks!