Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rallies & Rides > 2018 CanadaEast/Northeast U.S. Rally

Old 07-21-2018, 05:32 PM   #1

Ride home from Baddeck

First short day going home is in the books. Make it Moncton. Some light to moderate rain early, but I didn't even break out the rain gear. Tomorrow, on to Augusta, Maine.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-21-2018, 08:52 PM   #2

Stayed overnight in Truro. Was on the road at 7am today, as was calling for showers. Was windy, foggy, and the skies looked threatening. But made it home to Yarmouth by 11:30am, and didn't get any rain. My wife had to pick up our son at Halifax Airport late this afternoon, she said it was raining there. Yarmouth was 22C with feel like of 28C. After my dead battery issue on the Cabot Trail I took the time in my motel room and ordered a battery boost. Maybe I'll get to return the favour. All those who are still on the road home, be safe and keep the sunny side up.

Old 07-22-2018, 12:09 AM   #3

Got home Saturday around 8:30 pm after two very long days. Friday I ran into trouble on the 104 with a tire going flat and pretty much self destructing by the time we Limped into toys for big boys in Moncton 45 minutes before closing. The folks were great there, they started on the bike within 1/2 hr and worked past closing to get us back on the road. Dave Mary Cheryl and I then decided to make up lost time and push on to Woodstock NB arriving at a hotel around 10:30pm. This morning we said our good byes and headed off in opposite directions. Ride safe all.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 07-22-2018, 04:41 PM   #4

Got home today at 1:30pm. Hey Norm I had tire a problem too. Limped in to Albany to get a new rear tire. Hard to get a tire on Saturday or someone to put it on. After a ton of calls we got it done. 5 hours later we were on the road. Had a great time Thanks to all.
2014 NCR/SCR Rally in the Ozarks, Mountain View, AR
2014 Antlers Rally, Antlers, OK
2015 VRA/VBA Rally, Eureka Springs, AR
2016 NCR Rally, Hillsboro, WI
2016 Antlers Rally, Antlers, OK
2017 National Rally, Lake George NY
2017 Antlers Rally, Antlers, OK
2018 NCR/SCR Rally, Custer, SD
2018 Canada East/North East US Baddeck, NS

Old 07-22-2018, 06:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by spil99 View Post
Got home today at 1:30pm. Hey Norm I had tire a problem too. Limped in to Albany to get a new rear tire. Hard to get a tire on Saturday or someone to put it on. After a ton of calls we got it done. 5 hours later we were on the road. Had a great time Thanks to all.
Good to hear your home. Sorry you had tire trouble but at least you were able to get a new one installed. Hope to meet up again, enjoy the rest of summer.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-22-2018, 07:50 PM   #6

Wow, so many tire issues! Glad you all made it home safe. I'm in Augusta, Maine tonite. On to the New York North/Newburgh KOA tomorrow.

Old 07-22-2018, 07:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by spil99 View Post
Mike, I’m blaming Tim for the tire problems. 20 miles of gravel road, and two back tires go bad, must be a connection!
Glade your home safe, what about Denny?

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 07-22-2018, 07:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre-t View Post
Wow, so many tire issues! Glad you all made it home safe. I'm in Augusta, Maine tonite. On to the New York North/Newburgh KOA tomorrow.
Enjoy your travels my friend, and keep the shiny side up.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:01 PM   #9

Well here I am way off course again could it be me, or the GPS?
I will say the GPS.

Any way, Cindy and I rode Prince Edward island the day after the rally. Cool place and friendly people.
Today I followed the course the GPS laid out and went off track, surprise, surprise. Ended up in Brunswick for the night after getting caught in a down pour.

Had to take the rack off the bike that broke on the lovely road I took you guys on at the rally. The zipper on the tour pack was broke so I decided to put everything in my saddlebags and leave the tourpack in the motel room. I will make a new sturdier rack and buy a new pack. Was putting my rain pants on side the road and ripped some of the liner out in the lower leg. Apparently the liner is what keeps the water out

405 miles to home tomorrow. should be able to do that if the thunder storms hold off they are calling for here in Maine.

Ahhh the joys of motorcycle touring
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 07-22-2018, 09:19 PM   #10

Ride safe Tim and Phil. You guys do know that for those of us who have made it home, we are continuing the adventure through your posts. Yes Tim for fear of making this toooo drawn out, I will shut up now!

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 07-22-2018, 09:24 PM   #11
Advanced Member

I was home in 2 days, 1100kms Friday to Levis, QC then 1000 Saturday.
No problems with the bike, battery, tires, or luggage........... boring!

Garry

2009 1700 Voyager KACT, sold at 679,465 kms
2011 1700 Nomad
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Old 07-22-2018, 11:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc View Post
Mike, I’m blaming Tim for the tire problems. 20 miles of gravel road, and two back tires go bad, must be a connection!
Glade your home safe, what about Denny?
Good idea I blame Tim too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good to hear you guys made it home safe. Denny made it home around 6pm. Tim, Cindy and Phil hope you have a safe and dry ride home.
2014 NCR/SCR Rally in the Ozarks, Mountain View, AR
2014 Antlers Rally, Antlers, OK
2015 VRA/VBA Rally, Eureka Springs, AR
2016 NCR Rally, Hillsboro, WI
2016 Antlers Rally, Antlers, OK
2017 National Rally, Lake George NY
2017 Antlers Rally, Antlers, OK
2018 NCR/SCR Rally, Custer, SD
2018 Canada East/North East US Baddeck, NS

Old 07-22-2018, 11:09 PM   #13

The road home

Mary and I, Norm and Cheryl, and Tim and Cindy rode together to Amherst. We stopped for lunch where Tim and Cindy parted for PEI.

We decided to ride to Woodstock and stay at the motel Norm and Cheryl had stayed at on the way to Baddeck. As Norm posted, he ran into tire problem late Friday afternoon. Fortunately we were in an area where Norm was able to get it replaced. We pulled into the motel at around 10:30 pm.

Saturday morning, we said our goodbyes to Norm and Cheryl. While travelling down the TCH my reserve light came on. Seems like it did that quite a bit this trip. Made it to Houlton and filled up. Then we traveled the back roads of Maine. They were great until we hit a parade in one of the towns we traveled through. Don't know how long we were there but it sure seemed like a long time. Finally, we continued on our back road journey. Then we came across some sort of police activity (arrest?) out in the middle of no where that stopped traffic. Then the hunt for a motel began. Since we were on the back roads, we didn't come across any motels. So we stopped for supper and I went on line to find a motel. Reserved a room in Freeport, ME. On the way to Freeport, we ran across another event that had the streets shut down. I was able to maneuver around the event but was unable to find the motel. Stopped at the local fire department and they gave us directions to the motel. When we arrived at the motel, they were all booked up. Seems like I entered the wrong date when I booked the room on line. We spent the rest of the night looking for a motel room with no luck. We continued on home and my reserve light came back on. Since it was after midnight, most of the gas stations were shut down. But I finally found a 24 hours station. We arrived home at 1:30 AM (or 2:30 AM Atlantic time) Sunday morning! Just another tale on the road from Baddeck.

Glad to hear most of us have made it home safely. Hope those of you still travelling have a good journey.

Looking forward to our next gathering. And don't forget to try the Sticky Rice Pudding!

Old 07-23-2018, 12:01 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gv550 View Post
I was home in 2 days, 1100kms Friday to Levis, QC then 1000 Saturday.
No problems with the bike, battery, tires, or luggage........... boring!
That’s quick. I may be mistaken but I believe you were just behind us for awhile after leaving the CB trail motel?

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 07-23-2018, 12:03 AM   #15

Sticky rice pudding, can you patch leaking tires with it?

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136