Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 09-01-2016, 10:05 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
We all know that people die every day.

Maybe wearing a helmet would have saved a life.

Maybe wearing a life preserver would have kept him from drowning.

Maybe she were in a Hummer instead of a civic she'd be here today.

I only he had eaten better, not climbed that ladder, etc.
Guess you don't get asked to do a eulogy too often.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-01-2016, 01:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc View Post
Guess you don't get asked to do a eulogy too often.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 09-08-2016, 02:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
Just curious , was your friend wearing a helmet.
Yes he was. Required by law here in Alberta.

"Sun on my face, wind in my hair, sound of my bike in my ears and peace in my soul..."
VBA Member #01514
2008 "Ultra" Nomad 1600, Candy Plasma Blue

Old 09-08-2016, 03:09 PM   #19
Advanced Member

I have an avid no helmet guy at work and I asked him one day why he doesn't wear one. He says to me - WHAT IS THE FIRST THING THAT HITS WHEN YOU ARE IN AN ACCIDENT? - I said your head - HE SAYS NO! YOUR CHEST! - I just walked away. :(

Old 09-08-2016, 09:06 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwhite00 View Post
I have an avid no helmet guy at work and I asked him one day why he doesn't wear one. He says to me - WHAT IS THE FIRST THING THAT HITS WHEN YOU ARE IN AN ACCIDENT? - I said your head - HE SAYS NO! YOUR CHEST! - I just walked away. :(
Really every time? Clearly nothing to protect in this case.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-10-2016, 03:31 PM   #21

Quote:

So does he wear any sort of chest protection? I rather doubt it. I guess he doesn't value that any more than his head!

"Sun on my face, wind in my hair, sound of my bike in my ears and peace in my soul..."
VBA Member #01514
2008 "Ultra" Nomad 1600, Candy Plasma Blue

Old 09-10-2016, 05:26 PM   #22

everyone has a choice that's their own...be careful how you think as many believe you shouldn't be riding a motorcycle at all if you feel a responsibility to your family or others for your safety...if you don't agree that being on a motorcycle leaves you more vulnerable than being in a car then you are only fooling yourself...

before you make judgement I wear a helmet on every ride and am here today because a helmet got mangled instead of my head and a fantastic team of emts brought me back to life on the scene and prepped me for my life flight...

through all of that I still support choice and will not judge someone for choosing not to wear a helmet...maybe as one who takes what non-riders consider an unnecessary risk you should reconsider your judgement...

Old 09-10-2016, 07:11 PM   #23
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckrider View Post
So does he wear any sort of chest protection? I rather doubt it. I guess he doesn't value that any more than his head!
No chest protector, No seat belt either as when he was young he was thrown through the windshield clear of the wreck. - BTW, Don't mention the steel plate in his head.

Old 09-11-2016, 08:39 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
everyone has a choice that's their own...be careful how you think as many believe you shouldn't be riding a motorcycle at all if you feel a responsibility to your family or others for your safety...if you don't agree that being on a motorcycle leaves you more vulnerable than being in a car then you are only fooling yourself...

before you make judgement I wear a helmet on every ride and am here today because a helmet got mangled instead of my head and a fantastic team of emts brought me back to life on the scene and prepped me for my life flight...

through all of that I still suppoyrt choice and will not judge someone for choosing not to wear a helmet...maybe as one who takes what non-riders consider an unnecessary risk you should reconsider your judgement...
It's not his choice I question so much as the need to support his choice with a ridiculous statement.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 09-11-2016, 08:56 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc View Post
It's not his choice I question so much as the need to support his choice with a ridiculous statement.
Yeah, his statement is as stupid as "Loud pipes save lives "
VBA #9

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 09-11-2016, 12:45 PM   #26

Helmets have the potential to save a life as it cuts the potential for critical injury down, but so does selling your bike and only driving Volvo's made prior to 1995. Being a proud american used to include the freedom of choice, and I believe in that freedom still. Yes it could potentially save your life, but that should still be MY choice. There are a million things that can threaten your life every day, a helmet is just one. You want to make it mandatory to wear a helmet to cross the street as well? Every freedom you take away is one more level of freedom you hand over to the government and take away from yourself. It shouldn't be about giving up your freedoms and giving ultimate control over to the government one step at a time, it should be about making the choice for yourself.

Education will go a lot further to prevent deaths than helmet laws. Recently a man ran a light and got hit by a semi truck, another went head first into a tree after not making a corner. They both wore helmets, it was bad decisions that took their lives.

More education, not more laws.

Old 09-11-2016, 08:27 PM   #27

I don't think anyone is saying make helmet wearing mandatory.
At least I'm not. What I am saying is, if someone thinks it is safer to not wear a helmet than to wear one, then so be it, it is called thinning the heard
VBA #9

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 09-12-2016, 01:54 PM   #28

It really is a catch 22 situation in almost all day to day living. Some people make poor choices or un due risk and the goverment sees a need to pass a law to protect people from their lack of forethought. Then people get so used to the goverment being there to baby sit them they scream when the goverment has not stepped in fast enough. That car was not safe how come the goverment did not force a recall sooner?, we built in a flood zone, how come the goverment didn't provide relief faster when we got flooded?, we got poisoned at X restaurant, where were the inspectors?
Yes maybe the goverment should back off, but a majority of society have lost the ability to think or fend for themselves. There will always be those in a population that go along with a law because they can see the sense in it and those who will throw logic to the wind and say I'm not doing that because my goverment wants me to, that's a loss of my freedom.
Wonder if a law was passed and signs went up " do not jump off this bridge it is illegal, would some folks do it just to prove a point?
Don't get me wrong, I am in many situations fed up with our goverment at every level being too controlling, but I tend to be more vocal on illogical laws.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 09-12-2016, 02:23 PM   #29
Advanced Member

Quote:
No chest protector, No seat belt either as when he was young he was thrown through the windshield clear of the wreck. - BTW, Don't mention the steel plate in his head.
Adding to the list of helmet types;

1/2 Helmet
3/4 Helmet
Full Face Helmet
Internal Helmet.

While I didn't land on my head in my wreck, I didn't land on my chest either. Flat on my ass. Guess I should be thankful they didn't put in a steel plate.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Old 09-12-2016, 03:14 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootergptx View Post
While I didn't land on my head in my wreck, I didn't land on my chest either. Flat on my ass. Guess I should be thankful they didn't put in a steel plate.
But think how many butt kicking contests you could have won.