Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 07-01-2009, 09:15 AM   #1

Deer Whistles

Deer whistles have saved my butt. Have they worked for you?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-01-2009, 09:38 AM   #2
Mega-Contributor

Deer Whistles

You're the first person I've ever heard say that. Everyone else has said they are worthless. Not a lot of deer here where I'm at, so not a concern for me.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 07-02-2009, 06:04 AM   #3

Deer Whistles

Other than their own advertising I have never heard anyone say they work. Glad they did for you.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:20 AM   #4

Deer Whistles

I'm also glad you think they worked for you.
Would you care to share the story ???
I have seen cars here in NY State that have hit deer and the whistles are still on the bumper :-/
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 07-02-2009, 09:29 AM   #5

Deer Whistles

Here is a study which was done on deer whistles http://advance.uconn.edu/2002/021118/02111812.htm
I am glad to hear that your possible collision was avoided. Deer are something that I am very careful about especially when riding at dawn,dusk or at night. There are a lot of deer accidents around here.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-02-2009, 10:33 AM   #6

Deer Whistles

Perhaps you had success because of the brand you got, can you share the manufacturer and model (if any) with us. Are they chrome?

There are a ton of deer around here, in the past month (and it's summer time) I have seen a handful within a hundred yards of me while on the bike.

Brian

Old 07-06-2009, 09:32 AM   #7

Deer Whistles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat (TC)
I'm also glad you think they worked for you.
Would you care to share the story ???
I have seen cars here in NY State that have hit deer and the whistles are still on the bumper :-/
From Washington, through Oregon, I had several close encounters with all types of critters. As "Monday", in Berkeley,Ca. was a day and a half away I was not taking my time, and some of these close encounters were at meteorite speeds. javascript:add("%208-)")

Some critters would enter my field of view walking tra la la and were on course for emanate impact when as if jolted with electric shock they would flee. Some ran in front of me, stopped then would jolt. I rode all night coyote, deer, fox, raccoon, didn't matter they all scrammed. I never swerved to avoid, or panic brake .
Was so long ago I do not remember the brand, However, it was black, I had only one whistle mounted, the one with the hole. I stuck it to the bottom of my v65 Saber headlight.

Last month my friend mounted the double scoop chromed ones and they kept a deer from becoming a hood ornament. Going to reno.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:51 PM   #8
Top Contributor

Deer Whistles

You can always go with the Hornet chrome brand that hard wires up. Sold by dennis kirk.

Old 07-11-2009, 06:51 AM   #9

Deer Whistles

I had deer whistle on the front of my truck. I wish I'd had them loose in my hand so I could have thrown them at the deer! I may have mounted them wrong I guess, but I follow directions pretty well... They must work, or they wouldn't sell, I assume I just hit a deer that was even more dumb than the average... I don't even ride at night here because of the deer.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:25 AM   #10

Deer Whistles

Hi Spider,

Interesting article Joe, thanks for posting it.

Deer are a big concern for motorists in my area. I would certainly welcome an effective device against deer collisions but, with all due respect, color me skeptical.

I avoid riding around dawn, dusk, and at night; imho the best way to avoid deer collisions. On occasion one will cross the road during daylight hours - at least I have a reasonable chance of seeing it coming - if not, there's nothing I can do about that one - just the luck of the draw.

Riding is risky enough in the daytime. Putting myself out there in the dark in a heavily deer-populated region is something that I'm simply not willing to do.

I'm glad that you came through your trip unscathed.

Best regards......

Bob

Old 07-11-2009, 12:45 PM   #11

Location: 6th Floor up at the The Nervous Hospital up in East Central State, NC
Deer Whistles

My first deer/motorcycle accident I had a set mounted on my spot light bracket. I researched this subject soon after I bought my Nomad. As far as I know there is no effective device on the market.

I know people that have ridden for 25 years and never hit a deer. I've hit two with in 'bout 18 months. I'm just that lucky I guess. :)

??-Mar.2,2012 "Rocky" My Beloved Dog RIP

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Old 07-12-2009, 09:51 PM   #12

Deer Whistles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawhead
My first deer/motorcycle accident I had a set mounted on my spot light bracket. I researched this subject soon after I bought my Nomad. As far as I know there is no effective device on the market.

I know people that have ridden for 25 years and never hit a deer. I've hit two with in 'bout 18 months. I'm just that lucky I guess. :)
Maybe you could hire yourself out as a "deer-attractant" for some extra money on the side!

It sounds like you can find deer anywhere for hunters!!

(Was just joking with ya... since I know you basically made it through the ordeals of hitting the deer. I understand how serious your accidents were and how it could have been much worse.)

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 07-12-2009, 10:41 PM   #13

Deer Whistles

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawhead

Maybe you could hire yourself out as a "deer-attractant" for some extra money on the side!

It sounds like you can find deer anywhere for hunters!!

(Was just joking with ya... since I know you basically made it through the ordeals of hitting the deer. I understand how serious your accidents were and how it could have been much worse.)
My deer friend, I need all the deer jokes y'all can dish out! I doesn't bother me at all! As a matter of fact I enjoy it! Reader's Digest has a section called "Laughter is the Best Medicine". And it is. The last joke was from a friend that helped me modify my exhaust. More or less he said we must have made that exhaust smell like a female deer somehow. If that was the case that doe was a lesbian doe. And if that was the case I forgive her 'cause in a lot of ways I'm a lesbian to.

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Old 07-13-2009, 12:26 AM   #14

Deer Whistles

They may have helped here, or they may not have.

Not sure about deer chasers, but we have a couple of different types of kangaroo scarers here. An electronic type, called a ShuRoo, and a static wind whistle type. I have a chrome pair of these that I have yet to fit.

Cheers
Bundy

Old 07-14-2009, 05:50 PM   #15

Deer Whistles

That made my skin crawl to watch Bundy! :-[ I watched the first one but I couldn't watch any of the related ones. I'm trying to quit smoking here. ;) There must have been a subliminal message in there somewhere. Now I have a craving for a whiskey? No Rum & Coke.

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad