Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rides/Trip Reports/Travel Information

Old 10-06-2012, 07:38 PM   #31
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman View Post
The low in Antlers yesterday was 53*. Cold??? You boys from Pheonix must be soft!!! Turn on your heated grips. A few years ago I rode home the last 50 miles in wet weather with a spit of snow here and there.
Cold and wet. It was 44 degrees when Mitch and I were on the turnpike coming back from today's ride. You have to remember where I come from, this is damn cold.

Gene's daughters' Burgman died on the way back from lunch. Right now Mitch has gone back to McAlester to retrieve the scooter with his trailer and Gene took off for home outside of OKC to get his truck and trailer to haul the scooter home. Gene expects to be back in Antlers around 11:00 tonight.

Trip left early this morning, I think he skipped out in the middle of the night or something. It would have been nice to tell him goodbye.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-06-2012, 11:29 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
Cold and wet. It was 44 degrees when Mitch and I were on the turnpike coming back from today's ride. You have to remember where I come from, this is damn cold.

Gene's daughters' Burgman died on the way back from lunch. Right now Mitch has gone back to McAlester to retrieve the scooter with his trailer and Gene took off for home outside of OKC to get his truck and trailer to haul the scooter home. Gene expects to be back in Antlers around 11:00 tonight.

Trip left early this morning, I think he skipped out in the middle of the night or something. It would have been nice to tell him goodbye.
You're right Scott. 44 degrees + light drizzle + 75-80 mph for over 60 miles is cold. I don't care where you come from. Got back with Katherine's Burgman after 8 pm. 152 mile round trip. It was right where they left it in plain view from the highway. All the way there I kept thinking about how dissapointed she was going to be when we discovered the skooter was gone. All the dishonest folks in Oklahoma must be in jail. Anyway, we ate at the Mexican restaurant in the front of the motel parking lot. You had already turned in when we walked back over. Vic was still drinking his strawberry moonshine and kissing all of the guys. He couldn't catch me. If I don't see you in the morning, it was great seeing you and riding with you again. I had a great time. Now go detail your bike. Ride home safely my friend.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 10-06-2012, 11:33 PM   #33
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunrider View Post
You're right Scott. 44 degrees + light drizzle + 75-80 mph for over 60 miles is cold. I don't care where you come from. Got back with Katherine's Burgman after 8 pm. 152 mile round trip. It was right where they left it in plain view from the highway. All the way there I kept thinking about how dissapointed she was going to be when we discovered the skooter was gone. All the dishonest folks in Oklahoma must be in jail. Anyway, we ate at the Mexican restaurant in the front of the motel parking lot. You had already turned in when we walked back over. Vic was still drinking his strawberry moonshine and kissing all of the guys. He couldn't catch me. If I don't see you in the morning, it was great seeing you and riding with you again. I had a great time. Now go detail your bike. Ride home safely my friend.
You Southerner's. Always telling us how hot you can ride in but throw a flake of snow in the forecast and you hide.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 10-06-2012, 11:50 PM   #34
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Why do I feel like I didn't miss too much??? Almost nobody checking in all happy and excited?!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 10-07-2012, 12:00 AM   #35
Mega-Contributor

No, we had a good time, the last two days turned cold, that's all. Nothing anybody can do about that. They weren't predicting this cold front before I left AZ on Monday. The SCR group are great folks and they treated me well. Vic throws one hell of a bash!

I'm leaving in the morning, heading north towards OKC then west to Amarillo for the night.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-07-2012, 12:04 AM   #36
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunrider View Post
I won't be leaving until around 08:00, I'm sure I'll see you before I leave, Mitch.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Old 10-07-2012, 02:51 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndodge View Post
Your last update was 3 days ago!! You Antlers people suck!
We're busy DOING, NOT LIVING vicariously.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:57 PM   #38

You tell em Gene!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer View Post
We're busy DOING, NOT LIVING vicariously.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 10-07-2012, 06:44 PM   #39
Mega-Contributor

I left Antlers about 07:45 this morning. The sun was out and it was warmer than Saturday. I had sunshine for about 35 miles until I hit Atoka, where I caught a light rain and the sky was cloudy for 422 miles to Amarillo. The temp on my bike never read above 35 or so all the way. Even with thick leather chaps and 3 jackets I was still shivering.

I stopped at Fort Thunder HD in Moore, OK (just south of OKC) and was looking at their gloves. The ones I had with me are fine for Phoenix, but weren't getting the job done today. They had a really nice pair of HD gauntlets with Gore-Tex, but I couldn't bring myself to shell out $105 for gloves I probably wouldn't need after this trip. 50 miles later, I wished I had bought them. Tomorrow looks better, should be less clouds and more sun. I sure hope so.

I only have to ride 355 miles to Socorro NM tomorrow.

Update: Just walked out to get something from the bike and the sky is clearing and there is some sun!
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Last edited by cactusjack; 10-07-2012 at 07:08 PM.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:13 PM   #40

Quote:
I left Antlers about 07:45 this morning. ....They had a really nice pair of HD gauntlets with Gore-Tex, but I couldn't bring myself to shell out $105 for gloves I probably wouldn't need after this trip. 50 miles later, I wished I had bought them. .....
CJ - If you leave your hotel a couple of hours later, you might get lucky and get warmer temps.

This morning I took Electra to her first international trip and rode to WA. To beat the traffic at the border, I left around 7 and thermometer indicated low 40 until around 10AM. It was cold, especially on the freeway. After 12, I took off my fleece jacket and enjoyed the sunny and warm afternoon.

Good luck with the temps.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:38 PM   #41

Quote:
...They had a really nice pair of HD gauntlets with Gore-Tex, but I couldn't bring myself to shell out $105 for gloves...
I have a really nice pair of gauntlet gloves with Gore-Tex that only cost me around $40. Of course, I didn't feel the need for that $65 HD logo...
Just saying....

Audiogooroo - Daryl Porter
Colorado Springs, CO
VBA #248
VROC #17261
1999 Grn/Grn Nomad

Old 10-07-2012, 07:48 PM   #42
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
CJ - If you leave your hotel a couple of hours later, you might get lucky and get warmer temps.

This morning I took Electra to her first international trip and rode to WA. To beat the traffic at the border, I left around 7 and thermometer indicated low 40 until around 10AM. It was cold, especially on the freeway. After 12, I took off my fleece jacket and enjoyed the sunny and warm afternoon.

Good luck with the temps.
Yeah, I know that - since tomorrow is a light riding day, I can probably wait until 9:00 to leave, especially since I gain an hour when I cross into New Mexico and MDT.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Old 10-07-2012, 07:50 PM   #43
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiogooroo View Post
I have a really nice pair of gauntlet gloves with Gore-Tex that only cost me around $40. Of course, I didn't feel the need for that $65 HD logo...
Just saying....
Yes, I know, but I was at the HD store and didn't have time to go shopping. It was looking like the clouds were going to dump on me, so I was in a hurry.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Old 10-07-2012, 07:54 PM   #44
Mega-Contributor

One thing I thought was interesting...as I entered the HD dealer there was a big sign as you walk into the showroom, it said something to the effect of "it is illegal to discuss the sale, barter, or trade of or negotiate pricing on motor vehicles in the state of Oklahoma on Sunday..."

So the motorclothes and parts departments were open, but there were no motorcycle sales people there.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Old 10-07-2012, 08:10 PM   #45
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Little did they know you're a cheap bastard!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005