Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 07-07-2016, 12:41 PM   #46
Advanced Member

Monday, I cleaned the air filter and while I had it off, took the intake manifold off and sealed it up. Also sealed between the intake kit and manifold. Got rid of the little hiccup I was having between 1500-2000 rpm on a slow roll throttle.

Tuesday, I tweaked the pcv a bit.

Yesterday, I decided to give it a good test on the way home. 115mph in 6th gear, rpm was right at 4000. If the same space is open, and no police around, I'll try it again today to verify the numbers.

So there was still a lot left in the throttle, just ran out of road.

Yeah, I'd say I'm happy having this done.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-07-2016, 01:30 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberator View Post
Geeked. Mine just arrived at his shop this morning.
So did mine :)

2014 Vulcan 1700 Wind Therapy "Vaqueroger" Vaquero ABS - KlockWerks 9" shield, RacynRay ISO Grips, Luverne Kawi Lowering Kit; Vance & Hines Exhaust; Thunder Mfg intake; Ivan's ECU Flash; Mustang Wide Touring Saddle; XM/iPod adapters; Voyager trunk on Wompass Rack; Randy's 6.5" adapters; Rockford Fosgate amp; Polk Audio speakers; custom painted by Kevin Norton.

Old 07-07-2016, 02:44 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptKurt View Post
So did mine :)
And BAM, it's on the way back already. Wow!

Old 07-07-2016, 10:50 PM   #49

Opinions Needed PCV once you get Ivans ECU done

I have not heard of any comments relating to once you get Ivans Flash done should you just get rid of the PCV or keep it connected.

Old 07-08-2016, 08:23 AM   #50

Ivan suggests loading a zero map (effectively turning off the PCV) in case you want to make some small tweaks later.

Big Dog
Atlanta, GA
2011 Vaquero

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-08-2016, 08:42 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog1294 View Post
Ivan suggests loading a zero map (effectively turning off the PCV) in case you want to make some small tweaks later.
Bingo, after having the flash only for 750 miles I don't see a reason to have a piggy back fuel tuner.

Old 07-08-2016, 09:10 AM   #52
Advanced Member

Made an adjustment on my pcv. Subtle difference. But just enough for me to notice.

It was on my bike when I bought it, so I'm not out any money on it. Could take it off and resell it, but since I'm not out any investment on it, I'll just leave it in. Since it's there, might as well make the most of it.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Old 07-08-2016, 12:00 PM   #53

some pinging

i ride a 2014 nomad ABS. ivan reflashed my ECU in May of this year. since then i have ridden approximately 6000 miles. i run V&H slashcut slip ons. i have installed the throttle body gasket (Thunder Manufacturing), a K&N air filter and have plugged the Kleen air system. i also have installed RACnRAYS throttle mod. i run 91 octane. hard to find anything higher around here.

i am very happy with the ECU flash. improved performance, no decel pop, improved gas mileage and throttle response. i have noticed "slight" pinging when accelerating up a steep curve in the twisties, more likely when i am in too high of a gear and give it throttle. the pinging is not loud. on straights, freeway, in town, "normal" acceleration..."normal riding"... most of my riding... no pings. i am wondering if this occasional pinging is something i should remedy... in other words, that ANY pinging would be detrimental to the engine. i spoke with Ivan about it and he said he could retard the timing by adjusting the ECU but my performance and gas mileage would suffer. he was also wondering about the RPM when it happens and the throttle position. i dont have a tach so RPM hard to determine but i would say lower RPM. i would say that if i am careful about acceleration when RPMs are low, and don't "goose it" in 3rd or 4th when climbing a steep curve it should not ping.

so i am wondering about what you "experts" would say about it. should i worry about it or not?

thank you very much for your input.
dave

Old 07-11-2016, 08:42 PM   #54

Extremely glad that this became available before I bought a tuner or something else. My bike is stock except for the Cobra Slip-on exhaust, and this is well worth it to me. ALL popping and backfiring is gone. It seems like a new bike. very good throttle response. Very pleased.
VBA #01416
2012 Vaquero SE Candy-Lime Green/Black
aka "T'Kehla"
2005 Nomad 1600 Black/Silver
aka "Mystique" (SOLD)
2006 Vulcan Classic
aka "Lil'Wolf" (SOLD)

"Life isn't a race; no one gets out alive. May as well slow down and enjoy the ride."

Old 07-18-2016, 05:09 PM   #55

My son and I sent our ECU`S to Ivan. Both bikes (2012 Voyager, 2014 Vaquero) have about 150 miles on since. Couldn`t be happier, all backfiring gone, mine didn`t have much because I had the Power commander with ignition, but had a little. My mid range power about the same but low end much improved and can get in and out of the throttle at 2000 rpms with a smooth controllable transition. We are both very happy.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:58 AM   #56

Best Money Ever Spent

I sent my ECU to Ivan last week and got it back in two days(AWESOME). I, like many others, fought with trying to correct problems using different fuel tuners after changing pipes. Almost at the point of getting rid of my Nomad, I decided to check out the forum and was blown away with the number of riders with the same issues. And blown away again when they all mentioned Ivans ECU flash. I could have kicked myself for not going here first. I have to say after spending $700 on useless tuners, this was the best money I ever spent. I have put over 1000 miles on since the Ivans flash and have gotten awesome results. Knowing that results vary, I will tell you that im getting 40mpg at 75mph open highway. My throttle response in all gear positions is outstanding, is not choppy or sluggish. Not backfiring on deceleration or shifting like before. All I can say is if you haven't done it yet, what the heck you waiting for? to Ivan!!!!!

Old 07-27-2016, 12:57 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by gv550 View Post
For those who are experiencing high/surging idle, hard starting when hot, and pinging you really need to investigate air leaks in the intake system. This is a known issue with the 1700, and may well be amplified by Ivan's flash.
There are 4 places it can leak, most common is between the throttle body and manifold (Thunder makes a gasket for this), the two little rubber plugs on top of the throttle body could be cracked, the rubber seals at the injectors could leak, and the seals between the manifold and heads can leak.
I had high idle, hard starting when hot and pinging when I first installed Ivan's flash but after disassembling everything, adding the gasket, replacing the plugs and injector seals, and I used Hylomar to seal the manifold to the heads...... all those symptoms disappeared.
Continuing to run your engine with an intake air leak can cause expensive repairs down the road, mainly burned valves and seats and other things resulting from overheating and pre ignition.
What is " Pinging " ?

Old 07-27-2016, 01:08 PM   #58

First ride with Ivan's ECU flash....PCV mapped to 0 in all cells. Drove about 70 miles...mostly freeway, some town, a couple of twisties. Already pretty well tuned with Ray's Throttle Mod; Thunder Mfg Intake and Vance & Hines slip-ons.

Noticeable power increase in 6th gear. Lower overall heat. No popping or backfires at any point.

Fantastic upgrade!

2014 Vulcan 1700 Wind Therapy "Vaqueroger" Vaquero ABS - KlockWerks 9" shield, RacynRay ISO Grips, Luverne Kawi Lowering Kit; Vance & Hines Exhaust; Thunder Mfg intake; Ivan's ECU Flash; Mustang Wide Touring Saddle; XM/iPod adapters; Voyager trunk on Wompass Rack; Randy's 6.5" adapters; Rockford Fosgate amp; Polk Audio speakers; custom painted by Kevin Norton.

Old 09-25-2016, 07:54 PM   #59

had my 14 vaquero reflashed 2 weeks and 1500 miles ago, love the improvement in performance and the lack of backfiring and cough back through intake, do have a little pinging at times with anything less than 93 octane all in all it was the best money I have spent in a while, thanks Ivan.

Old 09-25-2016, 09:44 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Y View Post
What is " Pinging " ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_knocking

read and watch
VBA #02401
2015 Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad black(sold)

2016 Salem, Antlers,
2017 Eureka Springs, Lake George, Antlers
2018 Custer NR, Antlers

Last edited by plumber63; 09-25-2016 at 09:49 PM.

Tags
ecu, ivan