Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 12-09-2009, 01:23 PM   #1

What do you gain?

Hi all,

After completing a few rides this week in temps between 25 and 35 degrees F, I am trying to figure out how to get the best bang for my buck in regards to keeping my hands warm. So I have been considering three options; wind defectors, electric gloves, and hippo hands. I am turning to you all who might have experience with one or more of these items to find out what you gained with these devices. How much lower of a temp were you comfortable riding in with these items, than you were without them?

Thanks, Patrick

MAPGR Ride Captain

Enjoy the ride....

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-09-2009, 01:59 PM   #2
Mega-Contributor

What do you gain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickM
Hi all,

After completing a few rides this week in temps between 25 and 35 degrees F, I am trying to figure out how to get the best bang for my buck in regards to keeping my hands warm. So I have been considering three options; wind defectors, electric gloves, and hippo hands. I am turning to you all who might have experience with one or more of these items to find out what you gained with these devices. How much lower of a temp were you comfortable riding in with these items, than you were without them?

Thanks, Patrick
I gained year round riding by moving to Phoenix.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 12-09-2009, 02:03 PM   #3
Top Contributor

What do you gain?

Here is a thread you might check out....these work well.

http://www.vulcanbagger.com/phpBB3/v...ic.php?t=13644
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 12-09-2009, 02:15 PM   #4

What do you gain?

If I were competent with wiring, I'd like to try heated grips. As I am not competent, I use the hand deflectors.

I ride in the 20's and it made my winter riding gloves go from freezing my hands, to making them cold.

A combination of wind deflectors, and heated grips would be ideal for me. I don't want to have to wire up my gloves to go for a ride with heated gloves. And I think Hippo Hands look dorky.

Just my opinions.

Old 12-09-2009, 02:39 PM   #5

Location: 6th Floor up at the The Nervous Hospital up in East Central State, NC
What do you gain?

I have the Widder brand electric gloves and they keep my hands very comfortable down to the mid 20's. I've heard people say that the Widders are more bulky than other brands but that hasn't been a problem to me as I've never owned or tried other brands. The wires and connectors are a small nuisance considering warn hands are a heck of a return.

Another note to add is Widder is no longer in business. I have friends who own Gerbing and they are pleased with that brand as well.

I've owned the Hippo things as well, and like Dan said they are bulky and they work very good, but they make you feel confined. In other words I really don't think they are a good idea for a bike if you need to make a split second maneuver with split second thinking.

??-Mar.2,2012 "Rocky" My Beloved Dog RIP

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-09-2009, 02:40 PM   #6

What do you gain?

Gloves are great, but once it gets down to the low 30's you simply have to block the wind to keep your hands warm. Heated grips will help, but the top of the hands get cold. I suppose gloves could solve this by themselves, except they have to remain thin enough to give you the dexterity to work the controls. My experience is that it takes both gloves and something blocking the wind in the low 30's, and on down in the 20's it takes those plus some external heat source: heated grips, chemical heat packs, electric gloves, etc.

But maybe the rest of you are hardier than am I.

Dan K
Member #100
2009 ST1300: Performance exceeding even Victory riders' boasts.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:20 PM   #7

What do you gain?

I rode all winter for a couple of years in central NH. I made a Lexan wind shield for my hands that went across the handlebars on my Suzuki TS-400. But when the temperature was below freezing they weren't enough. I found the best hand protection were thick knitted woolen mittens with long gauntlet windbreaker covers (snow mobile). Operating some of the switches was a bit tricky at first.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:19 PM   #8

What do you gain?

Just got some gerbing heated gloves,and have only rode at 40 degrees for 150 miles,but they kept my hands very warm.I will update later when I ride with them in lower temps.I think I'm really going to like them.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:53 PM   #9
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
What do you gain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks, Patrick
Only you would think riding in july/august at 120 degrees "Year round riding weather"

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 12-10-2009, 12:57 AM   #10

What do you gain?

I only go for a handful of winter rides in the high 30's and low 40's. When I do I open a couple of those "hot hands" and slip them in my gloves on the backside of my hands. They last about 6 hours and are only about .50 cents each at Costco. Not the best answer but certainly does the trick for the few rides I take in the cold.

I also slip some in my boots but my feet don't get as cold as my hands.

I might try the Hippo Hands...I don't mind looking like a dork (I do the rest of the year anyhow) as long as I am warm!
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 12-10-2009, 07:28 AM   #11

What do you gain?

I have heated grips on my BMW RT-P and they give me about 10-15 degrees cooler riding with summer weight gloves. But as said when it gets into the twenties I need winter weight gloves. A friend of mine uses hippo hands and loves them. He says he wears summer weight gloves in the coldest weather with no problem.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:10 AM   #12

What do you gain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks, Patrick
I send you my resume.... Wouldn't mind a change in climate...

MAPGR Ride Captain

Enjoy the ride....

Old 12-10-2009, 08:20 AM   #13

What do you gain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netnorske

Thanks, I already saw this. Unfortunately they don't sell these in the stores in my area, I went to four different wally's over last weekend. It would be great to only have to spend $20. Ended up trying to rig something up, but it was only a partial success.

I am going to check out some snow mobile shops, as I have another ride this Saturday, forecast is in the high 20s to low 30s, but I am also looking for a long term solution.

MAPGR Ride Captain

Enjoy the ride....

Old 12-10-2009, 08:59 AM   #14
Top Contributor

What do you gain?

You can find them online anywhere.....but the long term solution would be to move.... ::) .
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 12-10-2009, 11:16 AM   #15

What do you gain?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netnorske

Thanks, I already saw this. Unfortunately they don't sell these in the stores in my area, I went to four different wally's over last weekend. It would be great to only have to spend $20. Ended up trying to rig something up, but it was only a partial success.

I am going to check out some snow mobile shops, as I have another ride this Saturday, forecast is in the high 20s to low 30s, but I am also looking for a long term solution.
You can order them off of walmart's website and have them shipped to your local store.
VBA #1051 (Former President)