Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 07-29-2015, 01:57 PM   #46

I've heard mixed reviews of all of the plugs. I can only tell you my experience with the Iridium plugs has been great.

As far as damaging your engine:

I've seen people damage pistons by installing spark plugs that are way too long. I've also seen people screw up their entire cylinder by playing with the plug gap back and forth until the side (or ground) electrode becomes weakened and ends up breaking off inside the cylinder. I'm of the opinion that if it's within tolerance out of the box, leave it alone.

As far as Iridium vs standard plugs. It's simply a matter of efficiency. The cleaner the spark, the more efficient the burn. Although Iridium plugs have a very long life expectancy, I will be changing them every year. It's cheap maintenance to help ensure a great running bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas nomad View Post
Went to get four of the NDK iridium plugs today at O'Reilleys but they had to order them. They had two E-3s in stock, but would have to order the remaining ones. I told them to go ahead and order them. I'll get them tomorrow...then I began to wonder... Has anyone had any bad results from changing to either the E-3s or the Iridium plugs? I'd hate to damage my motor. Do they run too hot? The biggest things I find interesting from reading other posts is the reports of no pinging, increased mpg, and tighter/better throttle response. I realize mine isn't an HD but it would be nice to have the quicker response when I twist the throttle the HDs I've ridden had that...

---------------------------------
2007 Vulcan 1600 Nomad
- 18" Street Glide Front wheel conversion (details are on this forum)
- HD King Tour-Pak w/ Wompus Rack
- Mustang wide touring two piece seat
- Chuckster's 3" Handlebar Risers
- Baron's Big Air Kit
- Chuckster's left side decorative plate
- Cobra True Duals w/ Billet Tips
- Speedmetal Cree LED Headlight conversion kit
- Michelin Commander II tires

Real Estate Broker/Property Manager
Las Vegas, NV USA

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-29-2015, 10:42 PM   #47

Caveman,

I opted for the E-3 over the Iridium due to the fact they'd have to order... Didn't want to wait. I was planning on changing the spark plugs this summer anyway. The topic/thread just prompted me to do it sooner. I'll try to get them in this Friday and see how it rides. I haven't been able to do many mods yet to my '06, since I've deployed so much since 9-11...now tat I'm out of the Army, and my sons house almost built, I should be able to do some things. My big project goal is to find a fairing before winter... Then I'll have a garage project!

Old 07-29-2015, 10:43 PM   #48

Paid $28 for my E3s..... Now to get them in this week and see what the difference is...

Old 07-30-2015, 03:46 PM   #49

I'm looking forward to hearing your review of the E3 plugs. There seem to be more good reviews than bad online, so I'm thinking you should have good luck with them. Congrats on your retirement from the Army!

Quote:
Caveman,

I opted for the E-3 over the Iridium due to the fact they'd have to order... Didn't want to wait. I was planning on changing the spark plugs this summer anyway. The topic/thread just prompted me to do it sooner. I'll try to get them in this Friday and see how it rides. I haven't been able to do many mods yet to my '06, since I've deployed so much since 9-11...now tat I'm out of the Army, and my sons house almost built, I should be able to do some things. My big project goal is to find a fairing before winter... Then I'll have a garage project!

2007 Vulcan 1600 Nomad
- Baron's Big Air Kit

Las Vegas, NV USA

Old 07-30-2015, 03:54 PM   #50
Top Contributor

I should have bought these plugs yrs ago instead of a TFI to stop pinging, would have been hell of alot cheaper too.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-30-2015, 06:38 PM   #51

Caveman,

Clerk at O'Reilleys must not understand what I wanted. I doublechecked the screen when he pulled up th E3s at the store. These were recommended for my 1600... Pulled the right side front plug today. Easy...put in the first E3... The boot would not go on. The diameter of the metal rod which connects to the boot sleeve was almost double the size of the factory plug!! Oh, well. I'll take them back Saturday and find out what went wrong. I don't want to force a boot on... Much too expensive to replace. Just put the old plug back in. Works fine... Just wanted to try the E3 to see if it would help as others have mentioned. I'll keep us posted.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:27 PM   #52

The end caps of the plugs should unscew leaving just the threads. That's the proper diameter for the boots.

Quote:
Caveman,

Clerk at O'Reilleys must not understand what I wanted. I doublechecked the screen when he pulled up th E3s at the store. These were recommended for my 1600... Pulled the right side front plug today. Easy...put in the first E3... The boot would not go on. The diameter of the metal rod which connects to the boot sleeve was almost double the size of the factory plug!! Oh, well. I'll take them back Saturday and find out what went wrong. I don't want to force a boot on... Much too expensive to replace. Just put the old plug back in. Works fine... Just wanted to try the E3 to see if it would help as others have mentioned. I'll keep us posted.

2007 Vulcan 1600 Nomad
- Baron's Big Air Kit

Las Vegas, NV USA

Old 08-01-2015, 08:51 PM   #53
Advanced Member

Ok so after reading this thread I decided to try the Iridium's. They came stock gaped at .031 or so. My kawa service manual says the gap on my 2005 1600 should be .8mm-.9mm or .031 to .035 I gaped it to .034 just because that was the middle of the range. I also cleaned and re oiled my K&N air filter at the same time, haven't done that since last year.

Went out for 130 miles today. My impression is these plugs mad a difference.

The bike starts easier for sure.

I used to get a bit of hesitation from 1st to 2nd which caused a little bucking of the bike. That's now gone. Much better throttle response

perhaps a bit more power the bike just felt and ran stronger.

I got 37MPG today which perhaps is the same to 2MPG better but I also rode it a bit harder.

I'm sure some is due to the filter re charge but damn I'm impressed with these plugs well worth the 28.00 I spent.

Thanks for turning me onto these bad boys.
VBA #02482

VROC # 36172

Old 08-01-2015, 09:40 PM   #54

I read a few of the glowing reviews but my 08 Nomad starts, runs, gets 42 mph and with 42,000 miles on it still has the original plugs.
Sooooooooo, I guess I will pass on the Iridium plugs
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 08-02-2015, 08:15 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
I read a few of the glowing reviews but my 08 Nomad starts, runs, gets 42 mph and with 42,000 miles on it still has the original plugs.
Sooooooooo, I guess I will pass on the Iridium plugs

I'm really confused here!
The gas in Canada must be crap!
I have a 2008 Nomad all stock,......except for a TFI and iridium plugs. (it was pinging)
The bike still pings under heavy acceleration!
As far as mileage,.......with a strong tail wind I would be very lucky to see 275 kms per tank!
It doesn't seem to matter if I burn high test or regular, the bike runs and performs the same.
I'm not a big guy, I'm over 60, I don't race the bike and I have about 50 years of biking under my belt!
I will admit,..........the bike doesn't ping as much since I put the TFI on.
Thanks

The best 'GPS' is a full tank of gas!

Wild Bill
A.K.A. Wild Bill,Pookers
KawaNOW #00906
VNOG # 030

Old 08-02-2015, 09:17 AM   #56

275 per tank? Must be nice I'm all stock except for for a BAK and I'm lucky if I get 190 per tank.
Highway pegs
Hard bags with rear trunk
Accent LED'S
Baron Air Cleaner
Sony MP3 Player
Infinity6x9

2004 Vulcan 2000 (sold)

Old 08-02-2015, 09:32 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
275 per tank? Must be nice I'm all stock except for for a BAK and I'm lucky if I get 190 per tank.

I use to get about the same as you. At 80 kms per hour I was in 5th gear.
Cruising!
Since I put the TFI on I rarely get out of 3rd!
Yes, that's right, I ride at 80-90 in 3rd gear now!
macmac told me that 4th and 5th were overdrive gears and shouldn't be used under 90 kms.
It has improved my mileage by over 50 kms per tank.

This has all changed once again!
Third gear burns gas!! For me anyway, forth is the gear that my bike likes.
I now get 275kms-280kms per tank running 4th at 80-90kms per hour.

Wild Bill
A.K.A. Wild Bill,Pookers
KawaNOW #00906
VNOG # 030

Last edited by pooker; 09-02-2015 at 03:19 PM.

Old 08-02-2015, 05:38 PM   #58

Pooker we need to meet

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooker View Post
I'm really confused here!
The gas in Canada must be crap!
I have a 2008 Nomad all stock,......except for a TFI and iridium plugs. (it was pinging)
The bike still pings under heavy acceleration!
As far as mileage,.......with a strong tail wind I would be very lucky to see 275 kms per tank!
It doesn't seem to matter if I burn high test or regular, the bike runs and performs the same.
I'm not a big guy, I'm over 60, I don't race the bike and I have about 50 years of biking under my belt!
I will admit,..........the bike doesn't ping as much since I put the TFI on.
Thanks
+++++++++++++++++++++
Hi Pooker,

I tried to meet with you two years ago but you would not give me your address saying your wife was too sick -- I do hope she is feeling better now.

I live real close to you and have the same year and color as your Nomad. I have got 300 Kilometers with my Nomad on one tank riding two up from Orleans to Eganville and back. It could be that your Nomad is loaded with Carbon causing the pinging. Yes I run Low Test Gas and no pinging.

There is a lot of great info on this thread that I have posted too with others.

http://vulcanbagger.com/forums/showt...norther+dancer

I document my Mileage on all my Motorcycles and Car every fill up based on GPS Mileage reading. My Nomad gets 43 to 54 MPG (Canadian Gallon) -- My Goldwing gets 44 to 52 MPG (Canadian Gallon) -- My ST1300 53 to 64 MPG (Canadian Gallon)

Next thing I will be installing Iridium Spark Plugs.

Northern Dancer,

Ron

Darksider 2006 Goldwing 1800, 2008 Nomad 1600, 2006 ST1300PA Police, 2005 Burgman Executive 650
Goodyear TripleTred CT NRF 205/60R16 38psi - KUMHO 195/55-16 CT Run Flat 32psi VBA #01969
POTENZA 165/65R14 38psi - Hankook 205/50/ZR17 38psi - Michelin Alpin PA3 205/60R16 36psi
DUNLOP NRF 195/60R16 38psi - Bridgestone Front G709 38psi - Darkside Number (DS #610)

Old 08-02-2015, 07:43 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
+++++++++++++++++++++
Hi Pooker,

I tried to meet with you two years ago but you would not give me your address saying your wife was too sick -- I do hope she is feeling better now.

I live real close to you and have the same year and color as your Nomad. I have got 300 Kilometers with my Nomad on one tank riding two up from Orleans to Eganville and back. It could be that your Nomad is loaded with Carbon causing the pinging. Yes I run Low Test Gas and no pinging.

There is a lot of great info on this thread that I have posted too with others.

http://vulcanbagger.com/forums/showt...norther+dancer

I document my Mileage on all my Motorcycles and Car every fill up based on GPS Mileage reading. My Nomad gets 43 to 54 MPG (Canadian Gallon) -- My Goldwing gets 44 to 52 MPG (Canadian Gallon) -- My ST1300 53 to 64 MPG (Canadian Gallon)

Next thing I will be installing Iridium Spark Plugs.

Northern Dancer,

Ron

Yes Ron, I am sorry about that. She had stage 4 cancer and we have had a rough 3 years now!
She might only ride her bike a couple of hundred kms a year!
My bike sits waiting for that day she wants to ride!
I bought mine new and it has NEVER ran good since day one! I have had it in the shop so many times and so many different shops.
When we went to BC I found it was burning oil, badly,....like when I changed at 3000 kms only 1/2 to 1 liter came out!!!
Kawasaki told me it needed new rings, under warranty, so I this done.
The bike still burns oil but not as bad.
The pinging,...........I have always just babied it.
I'm tired of this and want a bike back, so I bought the TFI.
You are the first person who has actually told me your settings ,........go figure?
Anyway, Yes, a ride would be nice. Please PM me and will tell you all you need to know.
Thanks Ron!

Wild Bill
A.K.A. Wild Bill,Pookers
KawaNOW #00906
VNOG # 030

Old 08-02-2015, 09:31 PM   #60

I tried the E-3 plugs for my previous plug change. I really didn't notice that much of a change with them. They are cheaper than the iridium plugs, and don't really have nothing bad to say about them. They are a good plug. My last oil and plug change I splurged and purchased some iridium plugs, and have to say I do like these alot better. My throttle response does seem to be quicker and seems to allow my bike to idle better. As for starting, I think the E-3 and iridium plugs are about the same on that level. But as it is now, I am sold on the iridium plugs.
Hers-2008 Suzuki C50
And restoreing 1979 Honda CB750k