Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rides/Trip Reports/Travel Information

Old 12-21-2009, 10:46 AM   #1

Highway 7 Nova Scotia

Just got hit with close to 2 feet of snow, so I decided to start planning a trip for next summer to cheer myself up.

Was wondering if anyone has be on Highway 7 in Nova Scotia, runs from Dartmouth to Melrose, and/or Highways 316 and 16 along the eastern coast of NS?

Or if anyone can offer advice regarding routes through NS. So far I plan to head for Saint John NB; ferry to Digby NS; then follow the coast down and around on rt's 101 and 103; then make my way up to Cape Breton; then back down to Saint John on the western shore of the Bay of Fundy.

Thanks in advance - Patrick

MAPGR Ride Captain

Enjoy the ride....

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-24-2009, 02:30 PM   #2

Highway 7 Nova Scotia

I did the Cabot Trail this past summer and some of Nova Scotia. We entered Nova Scotia from New Brunswick at Amherst, followed the coast along the Northumberland Strait then inland to New Glasgow. We spent 2 days on Cape Briton Island, one day doing the Cabot trail with Caper. Heading back we followed the coast from Canso causeway all the way to Dartmouth past Peggy's cove ( a must see as well ), Mahone Bay, Lunenburg etc, then inland to Truro and back to Amherst.
I'll Have to get the maps out and get back to you on the routes We rode on etc. Also Caper lives on Cape Briton Island, so he would know a lot about the different roads.
Did you know there is a free touring Nova Scotia motorcycle guide?

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 12-31-2009, 05:05 PM   #3

Highway 7 Nova Scotia

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc
I did the Cabot Trail this past summer and some of Nova Scotia. We entered Nova Scotia from New Brunswick at Amherst, followed the coast along the Northumberland Strait then inland to New Glasgow. We spent 2 days on Cape Briton Island, one day doing the Cabot trail with Caper. Heading back we followed the coast from Canso causeway all the way to Dartmouth past Peggy's cove ( a must see as well ), Mahone Bay, Lunenburg etc, then inland to Truro and back to Amherst.
I'll Have to get the maps out and get back to you on the routes We rode on etc. Also Caper lives on Cape Briton Island, so he would know a lot about the different roads.
Did you know there is a free touring Nova Scotia motorcycle guide?
Thanks for the info. I did see the motorcycling guide on the NS tourism website but was not able to order it for some reason so I got the Doers' and Dreamers' guide for now, just arrived today. And Caper has generously offered to show me around the Cape, I think this is going to a great trip once I get the details worked out.

I may even get the chance to connect with some long lost relatives my sister has recently found and has been corresponding with in the Port George, NS area.

Thanks again!

MAPGR Ride Captain

Enjoy the ride....

Old 01-01-2010, 12:56 PM   #4

Highway 7 Nova Scotia

If you ordered the bike guide and it did not come or you just could not order it, don't worry same sort of thing happened to me at first.
I reordered and ended up with two, so I think they wait till closer to the bike season to send the latest issue. Also it is available at tourist info centers everywhere in N.S.
We had a great time the day we rode with Caper.
My wife and I will be down that way again this summer for two weeks sometime in July. We want to tour P.E.I and then some more of N.S Who knows, maybe our paths will cross.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 01-03-2010, 09:50 PM   #5

Highway 7 Nova Scotia

Good possibility we could, I was looking at the calender today and am thinking I might make trip in July myself.

MAPGR Ride Captain

Enjoy the ride....

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-05-2010, 06:18 PM   #6

Highway 7 Nova Scotia

I live one hour east of digby, ns. those of you who ordered the motorcycle tourist book lately wont see it until may. that's when they send it out. the doers and dreamers guide is as good for planning purposes. its shows all the same great spot to visit.

as for roads. stay off the 101, 102, 103s.. use the old 1 & 221 goes fromwest to east. and the 8, 10, 12, & 14 north to south. great inland scenic routes.

places: halifax, great city. lots to see and do (restaurant, history, night life etc.if your looking for ocean sceanery, mahone bay, lunenburg (home of the bluenose ship that one the canadian 10 cents), digby who has a great bike rally on labor day weekend (wharf rat rally). and of course the cabot trail in cap breton.

all in all, nova scotia, canada rocks....

cheers

Old 01-30-2010, 06:08 PM   #7

Highway 7 Nova Scotia

When you get off in Digby, take 101 to Weymouth then get off on route 1. Much more scenic. Once in Yarmouth, stick to route 3 (as opposed to 103) back to Halifax.

Yarmouth is my hometown, and is a pleasure to ride. If you have the time, take a spin down to the Yarmouth lighthouse.

Dan

Old 02-06-2010, 10:16 PM   #8

Highway 7 Nova Scotia

once upon a time, someone posted some nice pics from there.......sigh.

Robert(skeeter)Dozier
07 Red&Titanium Nomad
81 Suzuki 850GL
KawaNow pre#

Old 02-10-2010, 07:53 PM   #9

Highway 7 Nova Scotia

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter
once upon a time, someone posted some nice pics from there.......sigh.
Did you mean these?
http://www.vulcanbagger.com/phpBB3/v...ic.php?t=11529

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136