Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 06-04-2017, 02:52 AM   #1

Razor chopped trunk on a Nomad....

Well, picked up this practically new trunk off a downed streetglide....hideous paint, scored it for $45.
Was thinking of adding this to the rear of my bike. Since my bike is setup for solo riding, I was thinking of mounting this really low to my rear fender so I could have some extra storage for lighter stuff. I carry all the heavier stuff in my bags, down low.
Was wondering if any of our members have used and adapted these, and how durable they are?

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-04-2017, 07:25 AM   #2

razor

I can not say anything about the Quality But Man will it Look Good on Your Bike if You set it Low over the Rear Fender ! Not being a Fan of Large Trunks Mounted Up Close and Solo I Think You are on to Something Good ! V Scott

Old 06-04-2017, 07:25 AM   #3

Don't Forget the Pictures

Old 06-04-2017, 10:07 AM   #4

DagonLady ... I have a Scootworks rake for my trunk box I mounted on my 02 Nomad. It's very similar, if not the same to the Wompus rack. I find it to be quite sturdy and well built. I could send you some pictures and diamention measurments, if you don't already have something like it amount your "stuff". I get the impression from other post you have made, that you might be pretty handy with a plaz cutter and a welder. Let me know if I can help you with idea starting points..
VBA #03514

2002 Vulcan VN1500L Nomad fi
Pearl Burnish Beige/Pearl Luster Beige

Old 06-04-2017, 10:51 AM   #5

I think Women's also makes a solo rack that moves the trunk so it is a backrest for a solo rider.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-04-2017, 10:51 AM   #6

That would be Wompus...

Old 06-04-2017, 11:15 AM   #7
Advanced Member

Razor chopped trunk on a Nomad....

There was a guy out of bumpas va. Called Daves Fibers who was making all of scootworks trunks and strorage boxes under the frame, and in front of the rear wheel ( goats belly area ). good quality stuff. Now that scootworks is undersized terribly who knows who is makeing his stuff now, he's in business by a thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by skullbagger; 06-04-2017 at 11:58 AM.

Old 06-04-2017, 12:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcanscott View Post
I can not say anything about the Quality But Man will it Look Good on Your Bike if You set it Low over the Rear Fender ! Not being a Fan of Large Trunks Mounted Up Close and Solo I Think You are on to Something Good ! V Scott
Yea Guys, ya'll know what I was thinking! hahaha....
I was gonna come straight off the fender struts, straight up, then go across both to mount to bottom of trunk. Was gonna stay off the fender about 2"....slide it forward enough to use the built in rest as a drivers back support.
That way it would be functional, and still look sleek, low to match the profile of a solo bike.
For 2 up riding it would be easy enough to slot the mounting holes, that way could go from solo to 2 up in a matter of minutes if I install the steel rivnuts into the trunk itself.
The Drifters had the solo seats had a chrome tubular luggage rack that mounted over the rear fender....was gonna base the mount on that design.
Besides, I could use either either SS or some 3/16 alum., that would polish up nicely....
Any thoughts?
After I blow my bike apart for the repaint, I'll send some pics. I really like the look of the early ElectraGlide Police Specials, which had a truck mounted over the rear fender, it was mounted low....though I didn't like the bags/truck look, it seemed all too boxy. But the rear of the Nomad is all curved and sleek, I think it would look good!

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Last edited by DragonLady58; 06-04-2017 at 12:44 PM.

Old 06-04-2017, 02:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonLady58 View Post
Yea Guys, ya'll know what I was thinking! hahaha....
I was gonna come straight off the fender struts, straight up, then go across both to mount to bottom of trunk. Was gonna stay off the fender about 2"....slide it forward enough to use the built in rest as a drivers back support.
That way it would be functional, and still look sleek, low to match the profile of a solo bike.
For 2 up riding it would be easy enough to slot the mounting holes, that way could go from solo to 2 up in a matter of minutes if I install the steel rivnuts into the trunk itself.
The Drifters had the solo seats had a chrome tubular luggage rack that mounted over the rear fender....was gonna base the mount on that design.
Besides, I could use either either SS or some 3/16 alum., that would polish up nicely....
Any thoughts?
After I blow my bike apart for the repaint, I'll send some pics. I really like the look of the early ElectraGlide Police Specials, which had a truck mounted over the rear fender, it was mounted low....though I didn't like the bags/truck look, it seemed all too boxy. But the rear of the Nomad is all curved and sleek, I think it would look good!
Great minds us ally travel down the gutter.. Hehehe..

What you've outlined sounds like it would work great...

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
VBA #03514

2002 Vulcan VN1500L Nomad fi
Pearl Burnish Beige/Pearl Luster Beige