Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 02-19-2012, 04:26 AM   #1
Top Contributor

Gauge wiring

According to VDO, I not only need power/ground for the back lights on my gauges (which I already knew) but also power/ground (as well as the sending wire) to the gauge itself. (Note: the back of my gauges looks like the one on the far left of the 3 in the pic.) http://www.egauges.com/pdf/vdo/0-515-012-123.pdf

Am I reading this wrong or do I really need 2 sets of power and 2 sets of ground to each gauge? If I really do need 2 power/2 ground to each, can I daisy chain them? Or do I need to do something else? VDO says dedicated wires but that would seem to contradict what I've read elsewhere. Also, Gadget doesn't mention power/ground wires to the gauges. http://www.gadgetjq.com/gauges.htm

I'm ready to mount the gauges/switches/etc and wire everything up but don't want to have to remove the gauges/switches/etc to add extra wires. I can whip up another set of wires (assuming I can daisy chain them) in about 30 minutes and add them to the installation if need be.

I know it's early on a Sunday morning and nobody is around. :(
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-19-2012, 04:48 AM   #2
Top Contributor

Looking at the picture and the wiring diagram below it, yes the light and the guage both need power and a ground. However, the grounds can be connected together and only needs one ground. As for the light, you need two power sources only if you want to be able to control the light separately with a switch. If you don't want to be able to do that, just use one power wire and daisy chain the terminals.

P.S. I'm at work, couple of more hours and I'm outta here.

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 02-19-2012, 05:25 AM   #3
Top Contributor

I don't need to control the light. As long as it's always lit, I'm good. I won't even use the dimmer wire for the stereo. It'll take me a bit to make up a new wiring harness but it should be easy. My original wiring for the bulb just daisy chained the + and - together then down to the fuse block. I'll just add one more + and one more - per side (per gauge).

Thanks for the assistance.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 02-19-2012, 09:18 AM   #4

Hook the gauge backround lights to a switched wire so they turn off with the key.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951