Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 09-17-2012, 07:42 AM   #16
Advanced Member

Sixth Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckoach View Post
It was an awesome day for riding, don't feel bad about it !!!

(Was on Shayne's Run with 300 other bikes...)

Funny, how the guys with 6 speeds say they never use it....
I assume my bike is "stock". however, when I got it it had 27 K miles on it and the guy I got it from didnt know much about it. So I have no way of knowing if any mods were made to bike?
It does have a K&N air filter, and it runs like a scalded dog, no problem with torque or power! 5fh gear is plenty for me, I see no need for a 6th gear.
But I see a lot of the newer bikes have 6 speeds, there must be a reason for it?

2008 1600 Nomad 56K miles "BlueBelle"

2004 1500 Nomad 102 K miles "Black Beauty"

ABATE Black Creek Chapter

Amvet Rider Post 86
http://www.facebook.com/AmvetPost86

Weston A. Price Foundation member.

Vegetarian......
An old Indian word meaning "Bad Hunter"

Legalize Freedom!
Question Authority!

"Im in love with the waitress, and I dont even know her name"
"Boys" Gone Wild" ! Mainstreet Station 2012 Daytona Bikeweek

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-18-2012, 10:19 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntheWind View Post
Funny, how the guys with 6 speeds say they never use it....

I wasn't looking for 6th when it was stock but I am now with the V&H Baggers. It's not bad, just feels (sounds) like it's revving a little high (I'm taching at 3,000 RPMs at 75). I think once I extend the baffles and reduce the sound a bit I won't be looking for 6th.

Not having a tach, I didn't know the rpm's at speed. But, at 3,000 rpm for 75, should "want" another gear. The 103 6 speed HD guys I ride with, say they don't use it until over 70mph.

I know I get to 80 indicated (which I figure is 72ish) real easy.

I do covet a 6 speed with electronic cruise. The heat problem of the 1700 led me to my current 1600. So, the wish list continues !!
VBA # 02065 VROC #29763

Sold - 2006 Nomad Green/Silver - Cobra Light Bar & Luggage Rack, Kuryakyn Longhorn Dually Pegs, Phat II Risers, Mustang w/backrest, Vista Cruise, Vance & Hines, PCIII, Kruiser Kaddy, Classic Engine Guard Chaps, Electrical Connection R,B,T LED Conversion, Jay Stephens LED Tail Light.

Current Ride - 15 Road Glide S.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:44 PM   #18

Well, I did it again. Planned on installing the BAK today but went for a ride instead. Just couldn't resist: the weather--high 60s--was my favorite. The Nomad seems to like the cooler temps too.

The V&H are starting to grow on me.
_________
IntheWind
'08 Nomad

Old 09-21-2012, 09:25 AM   #19
Sr. Contributor

What parts are you installing? it might be a 60 minutes job.... You should have a baggie of bright mixed color caps usually found in Parts Plus aka Sanell's, or VIP.

I am not as fond of the all black and more rubber like NAPA caps, but they will work, just not for so long.
getting in more air to mate with that aftermarket exhaust will put something on a grin on your face.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 09-21-2012, 09:39 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac View Post
What parts are you installing? it might be a 60 minutes job.... You should have a baggie of bright mixed color caps usually found in Parts Plus aka Sanell's, or VIP.

I am not as fond of the all black and more rubber like NAPA caps, but they will work, just not for so long.
getting in more air to mate with that aftermarket exhaust will put something on a grin on your face.
Mac, were you writing to me? Getting the BAK on doesn't take long at all, it's getting the stock parts out. Once the cross over tube is out, the rest will be a breeze. I'm figuring I'll then need to play with the TFI, but that'll be on the road.

I don't ride to work, so it's hard for me to resist riding on a nice day off.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-21-2012, 09:52 AM   #21
Sr. Contributor

yeah I was talking to you.... What backing plate are you using? Chucks? Oem? other?

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 09-21-2012, 01:29 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac View Post
yeah I was talking to you.... What backing plate are you using? Chucks? Oem? other?
The Barons air kit comes with everything: backing plate, reed valve blocks, etc. I had the reed valve blocks installed and the associated hoses pulled out last week, so all I have to do is remove the two dog bowls, the solenoids, the stock backing plate, that cross over tube, then install the air kit. I have a Kuryakyn chrome piece for the left side. Shouldn't take me more than a few hours. I'm expecting to notice as much of a change this time as I did in my 1500.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:16 PM   #23
Sr. Contributor

You will notice a change fur sartin' i didn't know you had done this all before.

it's my job to make sure things go right around heya'

At least they tell me that

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac