Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 12-15-2007, 11:08 AM   #31

Concealed Carry on Bike

As a professional pistol toter, I would advise everyone to carry as large a caliber pistol as they can accurately shoot, and yet conceal on their body. A weapon that is unloaded or away from you is absolutely no good. My two cents for what its worth

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-15-2007, 11:11 AM   #32

Concealed Carry on Bike

Quote:
As a professional pistol toter, I would advise everyone to carry as large a caliber pistol as they can accurately shoot, and yet conceal on their body. A weapon that is unloaded or away from you is absolutely no good. My two cents for what its worth
Thank you. Written like a true professional.

Old 12-15-2007, 11:15 AM   #33

Concealed Carry on Bike

Quote:
Brings back something my Dad used to say. He was stoped in a random road check by the State Police. He had his pistol on the front seat. He was legal with permit and all the garbage you have to go through here in NY State to carry. The officer asked if it was loaded?
" If I wasn't going to have it loaded , my Dad said , I might as well carry a club."
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 12-15-2007, 03:27 PM   #34
Sr. Contributor

Concealed Carry on Bike

Why did he have it on the front seat?

Quote:
[quote:3yt8ulsz]As a professional pistol toter, I would advise everyone to carry as large a caliber pistol as they can accurately shoot, and yet conceal on their body. A weapon that is unloaded or away from you is absolutely no good. My two cents for what its worth
Brings back something my Dad used to say. He was stoped in a random road check by the State Police. He had his pistol on the front seat. He was legal with permit and all the garbage you have to go through here in NY State to carry. The officer asked if it was loaded?
" If I wasn't going to have it loaded , my Dad said , I might as well carry a club."[/quote:3yt8ulsz]
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 12-15-2007, 03:50 PM   #35

Concealed Carry on Bike

If you're going to carry, keep it where you can get to it immediately or it's of no use.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-15-2007, 04:42 PM   #36
Top Contributor

Concealed Carry on Bike

Quote:
- I have already signed up for some advance classes....teaches you not only more shooting skills (low light situations) but behavior and different things to watch for ...
I'm glad that you've signed up for advanced classes. From that I assume you're not a novice. I do have one suggestion...practice, practice and practice. If you want to be proficient, practice monthly if at all possible. When (hopefully never) the need arises to draw your weapon your body will be flooded with adrenaline and if you're normal you will be in fear. At this time the practice and training will take over and help you overcome your natural reactions. Sort of like the way we practice on our bikes so that when the idiot turns in front of us we don't have to think, we just react.
Lastly, if you ever do have to draw your weapon you must be mentally prepared to use it. Sometimes merely the display of the weapon will defuse the situation but you can't count on that.

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 12-15-2007, 05:46 PM   #37
Advanced Member

Concealed Carry on Bike

I've carried while riding, but not on my person. I have put it in the windshield bag and the hardbags. When I park, I have put it on my person. I don't leave it with the bike. Or, I secure it indoors.

Just my personal preference,
DS

Old 12-15-2007, 06:22 PM   #38

Concealed Carry on Bike

ponch asked,Why did he have it on the front seat?

I think it was uncomfortable in the holster while driving so he took it out and layed it on the seat next to him when he drove.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 12-15-2007, 08:00 PM   #39
Sr. Contributor

Concealed Carry on Bike

I used to work for bail bond and I never put it on the front seat...a bad place to have it driving in NYC/5 boros. I never had to use it or show it or even admit I had it. But then again...

Quote:
If you're going to carry, keep it where you can get to it immediately or it's of no use.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 12-16-2007, 05:29 PM   #40

Concealed Carry on Bike

My wife and I both have CCW permits. On the bike, she carries a SW model 38 Airweight Bodyguard in a buttpack and I carry in my front pocket as usual. Carry weapon generaly is a S&W 340PD or a Glock m33. The 340PD is a .357 Mag, 12oz and won't rust. I have a set of Lasermax laser grip sights on it. Drop in in your front pocket behind a thick piece of leather the size of a PDA or a folded handkerchief and that's what it looks like. The Glock m33 is heavier but as small. 10 + 1 rounds of 357 Sig, ballistically equal to the .357 Magnum. Conceals the same way. I also have a leather vest fro Galls that is a concealed carry vest. I use it a lot on the bike. It has inside pockets that are made to conceal a weapon and are made of a material that supports and hides the weapon.
Experience from 40 years of carrying a gun professionally and personally, I would never put a gun anywhere but on my person. Leave your bike, you have to make the change from the bike to your person or run the chance of it being stolen. Making the switch leaves you open for some "liberal minded" having you charged for brandishing a weapon. Sure it's crap, but if they convince a Judge that when you moved your weapon from the bike to your person, they were placed in fear, you could lose your right to carry as well and any civil charges of anxiety etc etc. If it's stolen because you left it on the bike, used in a crime, you could end up in a civil suit also. If you carry a weapon, "Carry" your weapon.
Ride safe,
Dano

Old 12-16-2007, 08:43 PM   #41

Concealed Carry on Bike

Quote:
My wife and I both have CCW permits. On the bike, she carries a SW model 38 Airweight Bodyguard in a buttpack and I carry in my front pocket as usual. Carry weapon generaly is a S&W 340PD or a Glock m33. The 340PD is a .357 Mag, 12oz and won't rust. I have a set of Lasermax laser grip sights on it. Drop in in your front pocket behind a thick piece of leather the size of a PDA or a folded handkerchief and that's what it looks like. The Glock m33 is heavier but as small. 10 + 1 rounds of 357 Sig, ballistically equal to the .357 Magnum. Conceals the same way. I also have a leather vest fro Galls that is a concealed carry vest. I use it a lot on the bike. It has inside pockets that are made to conceal a weapon and are made of a material that supports and hides the weapon.
Experience from 40 years of carrying a gun professionally and personally, I would never put a gun anywhere but on my person. Leave your bike, you have to make the change from the bike to your person or run the chance of it being stolen. Making the switch leaves you open for some "liberal minded" having you charged for brandishing a weapon. Sure it's crap, but if they convince a Judge that when you moved your weapon from the bike to your person, they were placed in fear, you could lose your right to carry as well and any civil charges of anxiety etc etc. If it's stolen because you left it on the bike, used in a crime, you could end up in a civil suit also. If you carry a weapon, "Carry" your weapon.
Ride safe,
Dano

Spoken like a true professional.

Listen to this man.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:46 PM   #42
Top Contributor

Concealed Carry on Bike

yepper,

Old 12-16-2007, 10:32 PM   #43

Concealed Carry on Bike

Quote:
[quote:zh5jm7lb]- I have already signed up for some advance classes....teaches you not only more shooting skills (low light situations) but behavior and different things to watch for ...
I'm glad that you've signed up for advanced classes. From that I assume you're not a novice. I do have one suggestion...practice, practice and practice. If you want to be proficient, practice monthly if at all possible. When (hopefully never) the need arises to draw your weapon your body will be flooded with adrenaline and if you're normal you will be in fear. At this time the practice and training will take over and help you overcome your natural reactions. Sort of like the way we practice on our bikes so that when the idiot turns in front of us we don't have to think, we just react.
Lastly, if you ever do have to draw your weapon you must be mentally prepared to use it. Sometimes merely the display of the weapon will defuse the situation but you can't count on that.[/quote:zh5jm7lb]

I concur with the above. I carry a weapon each day both on and off duty and in varied ways. Yes, I am a police officer. As far as where or how to carry it...I believe that is just a matter of preference. However, be sure that you practice removing it (preferably practice with it unloaded) so that you won't fumble with it under a sense of urgency.

I can whole heartedly tell you that you have to (1) be willing and (2) be capable of destroying whatever you aim at when necessary. Unless it is your job to eliminate the threat, DO NOT bring your weapon into a situation if you are not able to articulate that you were in fear of your own life or someone else losing their life. Sometimes it is best to be an expert witness who paid close attention to extremely important details than a 1/2 hero suffering from CRS (Can't Remember sh*t). NEVER pull your gun out as a scare tactic. And above all, a weapon should not be carried for 'your' peace of mind. That would be a cell phone.

People under stress will sink to their highest level of training when faced with a fight or flight situation. I have experience in breaking leather from muscle memory and placing my weapon on a human being by simply reacting to the situation. There was no thought involved. Trust me, when you discharge your weapon YOU WILL BE LUCKY if you can even remember how many rounds you actually fired. Let forensics figure it out but keep in mind that YOU WILL BE held responsible for the final resting place of each round that is fired from your weapon.

Responsibility and accountability does and will matter. Not just during the snapshot of an event but also in the months and years before an incident (such as proficiency, training, and experience with and in carrying your weapon) and any actions that are taken immediately after any situation.

Keep in mind....when the cops do arrive they will not hesitate in pointing their weapon(s) at any threat (even off duty cops and heroes) until they are able to sort it all out. Plain clothes officers have been killed by uniformed officers during this high stress moment. There is always an appropriate time to secure or ground your weapon and I submit to you that the time is immediately after the deadly threat situation is no longer in the category of being a deadly threat.

Virginia is a right to carry state. YOU would be amazed at how many weapons I run accross in vehicles during routine traffic stops. Many are in plain view and that is perfectly legal. If you have a concealed permit, I recommend that you ALWAYS hand the officer your concealed weapons permit on top of your driver's license. That info will come back during the NCIC check on the computer.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:32 AM   #44

Concealed Carry on Bike

Lots of good dicussion here guys. Thanks for everybody's input.
Kawanow Member #23
Hubbie-Ken '10 Metalic Black Goldwing

Old 12-17-2007, 09:09 AM   #45
Advanced Member

Concealed Carry on Bike

My wife has started wearing one of those hip bags that just clip onto your belt loops and she says it works good for stashing a small framed weapon. Just thought I would throw that one out there too.