Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 12-14-2007, 12:02 PM   #1

Concealed Carry on Bike

Okay....first what I'm not asking.....is how you feel about gun ownership......if this veers off into a debate on gun ownership I would hope and expect that Trip would shut the thread down. Debates about gun ownership, abortion, athletes taking steroids etc...belong somewhere else not here.

What I am curious about is those of you who have a concealed carry and carry whilst on bike trips is what works best for you....carry on person, in saddlebag, in tank bag etc....
Kawanow Member #23
Hubbie-Ken '10 Metalic Black Goldwing

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-14-2007, 12:33 PM   #2
Top Contributor

Concealed Carry on Bike

I don't carry because my wife would have a fit and I don't own one, but I would think carrying in the saddlebag would be safer and less...intimidating, unless you are in an area where you don't feel safe.
VBA #0002
VBA VP-Global
B.A.C.A. Hoss
2005 "StrongBear" Black/Silver

Todd and BD

Old 12-14-2007, 12:54 PM   #3
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Concealed Carry on Bike

shut down this thread before I pull my gun!! Actually I make sure NOBODY knows I'm carrying. Never discussed it with anyone when I travel.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 12-14-2007, 12:56 PM   #4
Advanced Member

Concealed Carry on Bike

I carry a small colt mustang .380 auto in my vest pocket when I ride. Actually that pistol is my wifes it is kinda hard to conceal my Ruger.45 auto unless it is winter and I am wearing a heavy jacket.

Some folks that I ride with just put a small frame pistol in their windshield bags which is ok unless you are not near your bike.

Old 12-14-2007, 01:00 PM   #5

Concealed Carry on Bike

When I carry a loaded firearm it is always on my person so #1 I can have complete control over it (Its not laying in my glove box while I'm inside Mcdonalds eating lunch) #2 If I needed it, it is readily available (I wouldn't have to dig for it in a saddlebag.) Using a firearm should always be a last resort therefore if you were to draw the weapon it would be at close range to the perpetrator. Laws vary from state to state. Please check state laws when carying a firearm across state lines. Yes, I am a control freak when it comes to weapons. Educate yourself on gun laws - You can be charged with several different crimes for using a weapon unlawfully even dispaying it to someone you think might be a threat (brandishing) People get in trouble all the time for defensive actions because they don't understand the law. In Utah, deadly force is authorized to Prevent a forcible felony. It doesn't matter how hard someone is pounding on your door you can't shoot them unless they make entry into your house. Deadly force is not authorized to prevent someone who is trying to steal your car (unless you are in your car while they are trying to make unlawful entry) Again, People go to jail for unlawful use of firearms when they don't understand the law even if they are the victim. If you only remember 1 thing it is: USING A FIREARM SHOULD ALWAYS BE THE LAST RESORT.

I use a shoulder holster. Even though it may not be the most practacle, I can draw it fairly quickly even wearing it under a T shirt. I have a 357 magnum with a 4 inch barrel. If I had a smaller handgun I would probably go with some type of inside the waist holster.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-14-2007, 01:17 PM   #6
Advanced Member

Concealed Carry on Bike

I can see Texas has a little different set of laws on firearms and when you can lawfully use them. But I agree with ya on always keep it on your person never leave it unattended.

unwind2, I forgot to also say when I do carry my .45 I use a shoulder holster to keep the weapon close to my body so it is less detectable. I use different weapons and holsters depending on conditions ( cold,hot,wet,going to dinner, grocery shopping, etc..)

Just remember to keep it concealed and comfortable.

BD, just remember that if you get into a situation where you do have to pull your weapon that your own friends may think you have lost it and try and stop you. What I am trying to say is it is not always in your best interest to keep carrying a weapon secret from the people you are with.

Old 12-14-2007, 02:04 PM   #7

Concealed Carry on Bike

I agree; no one KNOWS I'm carrying, but, I normally keep my 9 in the "day bag", on rack behind the sissy bar.

Old 12-14-2007, 02:15 PM   #8

Concealed Carry on Bike

I would think the weapon should be on you. If you need it what good would it be to you if you had to dig through your stuff to get it?
My 357 is to big to carry and my 22 I think is not a large enough caliber to be a good defense weapon. I am looking to get a 40 cal. SA.
I don't know how easy it would be to conceal in warm weather though. Maybe middle of the back holster and shirt untucked.
I'm with BD on this one. The fewer people who know you are carrying, the better, how long do you think it would take for word to spread from one friend to another friend then eventually to people you do not want to know?
Wolfy, If you are carrying and cross into a state where you do not have the proper paperwork to do so legally, what do you do with the weapon? I mean you still have to carry it. You can't leave it at the state line under some leaves and pick it up on your return trip? Not being a wise a$$ , just curious.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 12-14-2007, 02:34 PM   #9

Concealed Carry on Bike

My Utah permit authorizes me to carry a loaded and concealed handgun. Some states recognize the utah permit. Other states like Oregon and california do not. If I was to cross into those states I would stop before entering, unload the weapon and put it in its case. At that point the weapon does me no good. I don't think I can imagine a scenario that would allow me enough time to open my saddlebag, open the case load the weapon and then use it. I could get on my bike and hit the throttle a lot quicker.

Guns are not illegal to have. You have to be able to get them from the gun store to your house or from your house to the range. They can't be redily accsesable inside of a vehicle if you don't have a permit. Usually unloaded, cased in the trunk is lawful. I would assume a saddlebag is the same thing since you can't get to it while riding - you would have to stop and get off the bike. I would check the state law before I went into any state first though.

There are many law enforcement members that could probably shed some light.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:04 PM   #10

Concealed Carry on Bike

Georgia reciprocates in recognizing firearms licenses with the following states:

Alabama, Alaska, Colorado, Florida, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah and Wyoming.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:07 PM   #11

Concealed Carry on Bike

I have a 357 6" barrel and a 380 auto. In all of my life, I have never felt I was in a situation where pulling a gun was needed so I do not carry. I guess I do not run in the same circles as some of you do.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:27 PM   #12

Send a message via Yahoo to jussmatt
Concealed Carry on Bike

Like "bluetongue"... I have both a Mustang 380 & a Kimber 45. The Mustang fits in my jacket pocket just fine...but inside waist holster during hot days. The 45 rides in the Saddle bag.. Loaded, but LOCKED and NEVER left un-attended. If I stop anywhere, it goes with me.

As with Wolfman...knowing the laws is the best bet!! Don't hesitate to ask your State Police what the laws are if you don't know.

Long story short... and to stay on topic of this thread.... Inside jacket pocket w/ jacket is worn... waist paddle holster when no jacket pockets available.

Old 12-14-2007, 04:01 PM   #13

Concealed Carry on Bike

I carry one in my truck but havent carried one on my bike yet.
laws are a little different state to state here in Texas you have the right to shoot some one if they look at you for longer than three seconds

Old 12-14-2007, 04:27 PM   #14
VBA Founder

Concealed Carry on Bike

I'm glad you asked this unwind2.......next month, I'll be taking the class to carry. Hope to have it completed by the end of January. I've got a S&W M&P .40 and a Ruger .357 Stainless. I'll be qualifying with the S&W .40, then once I've got my license, I plan on buying something a little smaller to carry on my person or on my bike.

The whole purpose for me doing this is to be able to carry while I'm on the bike trips I take each year. Sometimes, I camp out and sometimes I stay in some pretty seedy hotels (I'm cheap).
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Old 12-14-2007, 04:36 PM   #15

Concealed Carry on Bike

Quote:

I use different weapons and holsters depending on conditions ( cold,hot,wet,going to dinner, grocery shopping, etc..)

Just remember to keep it concealed and comfortable.
bluetongue - this is kinda what I was thinking....going to depend on conditions. I have some lady friends that carry when on bike trips. You would never know...they only tell you if you invite them to stay in your home....then they feel you should know that there will be a gun in your home while they are there.

Agree with keeping concealed....it makes some folks uncomfortable and no something to brandish around (as wolfman said in some state just brandishing is illegal). There does come a lot of responsibility with gun ownership....just as with driving a car, motorcycle etc.....
Kawanow Member #23
Hubbie-Ken '10 Metalic Black Goldwing