Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rallies & Rides > 2018 CanadaEast/Northeast U.S. Rally

Old 05-31-2018, 12:04 PM   #16

Quote:
.....that it will be open some time in June ( 15th? ) we will keep a look out.
Not gonna happen, local news says end August. Problems with the cement ramps being undermined by the strong current worse than what they thought. Having problems with the sheet piles bending from the ice clampers forced against them.
The current in that bay is unreal. When I worked in the welding shop here at DOT we used to do service calls and refits on the old ferry, Angus Mackaskill and it was a dreadful place in the winter. It'd be nothing when they had the ferry hauled up for winter you could work all around it one day, next the damn bergs would be pushed hard up against the side of her. Add that to a 50-70KPH wind...awesome LOL.
Quote:
It is so short a ferry ride, if one had a dirt bike and they left the ramp up one could jump the distance ala evil knievel!
LOL yup. It's been tossed around for decades about a bridge but the approaches would be so short it's be almost vertical. Add that to the fact the burial site of Mackaskill is right where the approach would be....dunno.
Quote:
Are you going to look us up when we get to Nova Scotia
Not sure yet, taking the riding easy for awhile, dislocated my hip last Thursday and today is the first day back on my ride. So far so good....knock on wood :-)...........Mike

**EDIT***

Never thought to mention.... you might all disown me anyway. I'm looking at a landbarge :-) an '08 Victory Vision Tour Premium. Not that I don't like the Voyager which I do but...saying that...the VV is lower which with a screwed up hip is a lot easier to mount. Friend of mine just bought one and...it's quite a rig.
Not sure yet about the look of it, still prefer the Voyager but the more I look at it, the more it grows on me, and no, not like a wart neither :-).

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by MrMikey; 05-31-2018 at 12:10 PM.

Old 05-31-2018, 05:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc View Post
Good to hear you seem to be making progress Tom. You know thinking back on the paddle boat incident we completely overlooked too of the best contenders for the coveted award.
They did meet all the qualifications, and then some. Maybe next time the two of them are together . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudMan View Post
Tom that sounds like one helluva a surgery. I hope your recovery goes well and your pain free soon.
Thanks Dave. There is always next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc View Post
Tom, Guess you’ll be setting off metal detectors at the airport sports games etc.
As if those lines aren't long enough . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
Geez Tom, that description of the operation gives me the shivers just imagining it. Hope it heals well and you get your fastball working like new, or is it the piano you play I forget.
Looking forward to seeing everyone.

My route to New Hampshire is as follows.
Leave Camden on Fri. July 13th. Take I-90 in Utica NY to I-87.
Take I-87 for 6 miles to route Route 7.
Take route 7 approximately 22 miles to route 9.
Take route 9 to Keen NH and get on highway 101.
Take 101 to Epping and then Calef HWY to Toms house.
It's the piano, but that left hand isn't working so well these days.

That should be a nice ride. Assume you will be arriving late afternoon, traffic coming through the EppiCenter can be pretty bad. Lots of tourists heading north and Lee Speedway races on Friday nights. I'll email you a couple of detours.

Quote:
It is still up in the air but my tentative route takes us into Canada at Houlton then riding route 2 all the way to Amhearst then picking up 104.
That is a long ways on route 2.
Been up that way several times, once to Cape Breton, once to PEI, and many times to northern Maine. Will email you some thoughts on routes and places to stop for the night.

Tom Maziarz (tomm)
VBA #00766
2008 Kawasaki Nomad (Black)
1978 Suzuki GS750EC (My son is riding it now.)

2017: National Rally - Lake George, NY
2016: NE US / E Canada Rally - Mont Tremblant, QC
2015: National Rally - Eureka Springs, AR
2014: NE US / E Canada Rally - Lincoln, NH
2012: NE US / E Canada Rally - Wellsboro, PA

Old 05-31-2018, 11:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm View Post
Thanks. Yep. They cut the top of the humerus off and press fit a half-titanium ball on a stud into the top of the bone. Then glue a plastic plate onto the shoulder blade that the ball sits on. They call it a total shoulder replacement. I tried a cortisone shot, but it only lasted about a week. Bottom line, I couldn't use the arm for much the way it was, so this was the only real option. But it should be pretty much like new once it is all healed. About the only thing the doctor said I would never be able to do is rock climbing. Oh Darn!!!!!
Thanks for the info. I can still do quite a bit, but it's getting harder all the time. At least I have an idea now what I will be facing when I finally have to have it done.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:21 AM   #19

Sorry I won't see you Tom, and of course your lovely wife Sue. Will miss you both. Would have liked to be in the OR for your surgery, fascinating. Hope your healing is on schedule, and you have good pain control. Good pain control = Good healing. Please keep us informed of how things are going.
I have to make a doctors appointment for a shot, or riding will become difficult. Had one couple months ago, now having issues once again. So may need surgery down the road, so would be interesting to see how you did Tom.
I'm hoping to meet up with some of those heading to Cape Breton. So once everyone has their routes set, hope to pick you up on the 104 Exit at Truro.

Old 06-02-2018, 07:28 AM   #20

Hi Pete,
Great to hear from you. Hope all is going well.

That's what we are going to miss the most about the rally . . . the chance to meet up again with friends we don't get to see nearly enough. I'll definitely be there in spirit.

Progress has been really good with the shoulder. I'm out of the sling now, and the doctor wants me to "high 5" him at my next appointment in late July. Lots of physical therapy and working really hard to get there. Still have a couple of motions that are really painful, but otherwise, pain is now minimal.

Is it your shoulder that is bothering you as well? It is amazing what the shots can do, but that can carry you for only so long. Eventually, they don't work anymore, and then there really is only the surgical option left. Let us know if and when it reaches that point. Good luck with it. Sounds like Sabre-T is on the same path.

I know that both Tim and Dave are working on routes, and expect to meet up with Dave sometime in the next couple of weeks to work them with him as as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot View Post
Sorry I won't see you Tom, and of course your lovely wife Sue. Will miss you both. Would have liked to be in the OR for your surgery, fascinating. Hope your healing is on schedule, and you have good pain control. Good pain control = Good healing. Please keep us informed of how things are going.
I have to make a doctors appointment for a shot, or riding will become difficult. Had one couple months ago, now having issues once again. So may need surgery down the road, so would be interesting to see how you did Tom.
I'm hoping to meet up with some of those heading to Cape Breton. So once everyone has their routes set, hope to pick you up on the 104 Exit at Truro.

Tom Maziarz (tomm)
VBA #00766

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-02-2018, 01:41 PM   #21

Would appreciate the detours Tom, also, what is the EppiCenter ?
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 06-02-2018, 04:22 PM   #22

Route 125 north from 101 for about a mile is loaded with new stores, restaurants, and traffic lights, at least by cow Hampshire standards. Traffic often backs up in this section. It is located in Epping, so locals call it the Eppicenter.

Quote:
Would appreciate the detours Tom, also, what is the EppiCenter ?

Tom Maziarz (tomm)
VBA #00766

Old 06-03-2018, 09:54 AM   #23

Is Arthritic Shoulders A Biker Condition

Yes Tom it's both shoulders but much worse on the left. Getting difficult putting on a shirt/jacket, now getting to where I can't sleep on that side. So hope another shot will settle it back down, as at the moment it's limiting my riding. I wonder if this is a biker condition, someone must have done a study.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm View Post
Hi Pete,
Great to hear from you. Hope all is going well.

That's what we are going to miss the most about the rally . . . the chance to meet up again with friends we don't get to see nearly enough. I'll definitely be there in spirit.

Progress has been really good with the shoulder. I'm out of the sling now, and the doctor wants me to "high 5" him at my next appointment in late July. Lots of physical therapy and working really hard to get there. Still have a couple of motions that are really painful, but otherwise, pain is now minimal.

Is it your shoulder that is bothering you as well? It is amazing what the shots can do, but that can carry you for only so long. Eventually, they don't work anymore, and then there really is only the surgical option left. Let us know if and when it reaches that point. Good luck with it. Sounds like Sabre-T is on the same path.

I know that both Tim and Dave are working on routes, and expect to meet up with Dave sometime in the next couple of weeks to work them with him as as well.

Old 06-03-2018, 06:13 PM   #24

Same here. Both shoulders have problems, but the left one was much worse. I can deal with the right one for now. You're right. Very difficult putting on a shirt or jacket, couldn't sleep on that side, etc. And couldn't ride as I couldn't lift my arm up to put it on the handlebars.

Based on a statistically significant sample of two, I'd say it was a biker condition!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot View Post
Yes Tom it's both shoulders but much worse on the left. Getting difficult putting on a shirt/jacket, now getting to where I can't sleep on that side. So hope another shot will settle it back down, as at the moment it's limiting my riding. I wonder if this is a biker condition, someone must have done a study.

Tom Maziarz (tomm)
VBA #00766

Old 06-03-2018, 10:03 PM   #25

Pete as far as I know it is not a biker condition, now sore arse is definitely another story!��
Hope you guys both have success with the after market parts and or fuel additives.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 06-04-2018, 11:06 AM   #26

I've only been riding for 10 years. My shoulder problem started long before that, but riding may have made it progress faster. It certainly makes it more apparent. The riding position is possibly the worst position to be in for long periods of time when you have shoulder issues. Throw in counter steering, lifting the bike off the kickstand, etc. and you have quite the recipe for keeping a bad shoulder constantly inflamed.

Old 06-05-2018, 11:37 AM   #27

I was going thru my saddlebag this morning and found my insurance card from our last rally in Canada. Just a reminder to those coming from the USA to go to their insurance company/agent and get proof of insurance for the ride in Canada.

Also, Mary and I are meeting with Tom and Sue on Thursday to go over the route from Lee, NH.

Only 5 weeks to go!

Old 06-05-2018, 01:43 PM   #28

Passports also required are they ???.........Mike

Old 06-05-2018, 07:01 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMikey View Post
Passports also required are they ???.........Mike

Passport or Enhanced Drivers License

There is an info post 0n here some where I put together for one of our combined rallies. Tells all about crossing the border into Canada.
I can't find it but I'm sure Norm or Tom or Dave can.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Last edited by Top Cat; 06-05-2018 at 07:07 PM.

Old 06-05-2018, 07:47 PM   #30

US Folks Entering Canada for the Rally

This is all the stuff that was posted for the Mt Tremblant Rally, courtesy of Tim and Sly. Not sure if anything has changed, but probably a good place to start from.

US Citizens entering Canada info
Any one entering Canada for our North East US / Eastern Canada Regional rally will need one of the following documents. Without it you will not be allowed to cross the border into Canada from the United States.

The following documents may be satisfactory evidence of United States (U.S.) citizenship:

A valid U.S. passport, U.S. passport card, or a Certificate of Citizenship and Naturalization are considered primary evidence and are acceptable proof of U.S. citizenship.
The Enhanced Drivers License (EDL) and Enhanced Identification Card (EIC) (non-drivers) are alternative travel documents denoting the holder's identity and citizenship and are acceptable proof of U.S. citizenship when entering from the U.S. through land and marine ports of entry only.
An original U.S. birth certificate, when accompanied by a valid government issued photo identification document, is considered an indicator and may be an acceptable proof of U.S. citizenship.

A passport is the preferred document but an Enhanced Drivers License is cheaper to obtain.

HOWEVER, there are only 4 states now offering Enhanced Drivers Licenses,
Michigan
New York
Washington
Vermont

States considering implementing an Enhanced Drivers Licenses include:
Arizona
Idaho
Maine
Minnesota
New Hampshire
New Mexico
North Dakota
Texas

I would suggest reading this webpage for more info.

http://www.dmv.org/driving-abroad/passport-license.php

You should also be aware no firearms are allowed to be brought into Canada.
If you normally carry, you will have to leave your weapon at home.

Just a few weeks away from the rally and I've been asked to let you 'tourists' know a few things about 'La Belle Province'.

Don't worry about forgetting all those french lessons you've learned in school, almost everyone you will meet will be able to understand the foreign language you speak.... If there's a problem, ask Norm.

As you may already know, this is a french language province and all road signs and such are in french, so quickly North=Nord, South=Sud, East=Est and West=Ouest.
Speed limits are in metric, fastest way to figure that one out is 100km/h = 60 mph (km/h multiplied by 6 (take off the last 0) = mph) 90 X 6 = 550 = 55 mph) easy right!! BTW, exits are also mile (or km) markers. If there's a problem, ask Norm.

Be prepared, beer, spirits and gas are expensive (gotta love taxes) Sales tax is equivalent to 15%. Our healthcare system is 'free' but not to YOU!!!! healthcare is cheap(er) than in the USA. God forbid, but if someone needs to be seen by a doctor, you will be billed and I assume reimbursed by your insurance company or health plan. And unless you are dying, you may have to wait a bit. If there's a problem, ask Norm, or dial 9-1-1

Make sure your pockets don't have any holes in them, our 1 and 2's are coins, it gets heavy... (yes we have 2 dollar bills, euh coins) but we got rid of our pennies. If you pay cash and the amount is $1.03, you will be charged $1.05 and if your bill is $1.02, it will cost you a dollar. Any questions, ask Norm.

Yes, we have a helmet law, speed limits may be exceeded but be reasonable, straight pipes as long as you're not obnoxious, but you may be ticketed, slow down in construction zones (and we have lots of those!!!) 4 feet between you and cyclistes, radar detectors are forbidden, and Tim, we have a seat-belt law... Any questions?, ask Norm.

If you are from the US and traveling to the rally, it is highly recommended, and possibly mandatory that you obtain a yellow card from your insurance company showing that you have vehicle insurance that meets minimum Canadian requirements.
Check out the section "Financial Responsibility Laws in Canada" at https://www.aaawa.com/maps_resources...erCrossing.pdf
for more details.
Fines are significant. Got pulled over at a motorcycle checkpoint some years back on the Gaspe and they wanted to see it. It's free and all you have to do is ask for it.
Check with your insurance company and make sure you have full coverage outside of your state.

Tom Maziarz (tomm)
VBA #00766