Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 04-23-2014, 08:39 AM   #1

Earbud adapter for Voyager????

(Solution in post 7.) I purchased a DIN to 3.5 mm adapter for my 2012 Voyager. It only produces sound to one earbud speaker. There is conflicting information out there about the compatibility with Kawasaki. I do not have a Kawasaki cable or helmet speakers, so I cannot confirm the motorcycle is ok. I have the factory rider and passenger communication ports. Both fairing speakers work. There is no balance control in the radio function. I have used 2 known good sets of earbuds. Has anyone accomplished this successfully?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by H8BUGZ; 05-01-2014 at 10:30 AM.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:55 PM   #2

I will add that it looks like possibly the Kawasaki helmet speakers are mono. There is a 1/8" male mono to 1/8" stereo adapter available that may work. Can someone with the Kawasaki helmet speakers confirm that the male connector at the helmet clamp is mono (only one colored band around the male end) that protrudes.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:23 PM   #3

Is that going to sound right going from stereo to mono to stereo?

2010 Nomad 1700
Metallic Diablo Black/Metallic Titanium

Old 04-23-2014, 04:37 PM   #4

The 5 pin DIN to 3.5 mm adapter that is widely available only produces sound to one side of earbud. That adapter along with a 3.5 mm mono male to 3.5 mm stereo female is the only way I know how to get both earbud speakers to work. I am told Kawasaki and Victory bikes do not work with the DIN adapter. Can someone confirm that Kawasaki helmet speakers are stereo or does the communication aspect change that?

Old 04-24-2014, 08:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by H8BUGZ View Post
The 5 pin DIN to 3.5 mm adapter that is widely available only produces sound to one side of earbud. That adapter along with a 3.5 mm mono male to 3.5 mm stereo female is the only way I know how to get both earbud speakers to work. I am told Kawasaki and Victory bikes do not work with the DIN adapter. Can someone confirm that Kawasaki helmet speakers are stereo or does the communication aspect change that?
I'm guessing the problem is with the wiring (pinout) on the adapter. The Kawasaki (and J&M) helmet headsets are stereo. The adapter probably follows a standard wiring diagram where Kawi does not.

Big Dog
Atlanta, GA
2011 Vaquero

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-24-2014, 08:22 AM   #6

J & M Audio tells me Kawasaki, Victory Vision and Can Am are all the same and need a specific adapter. They offer a coiled 8 pin cable that is suppose to work, but no adapter. It looks like Plug Up has one specific to Vision and Can Am but no mention of Kawasaki. It is a seven pin. Apparently different than Harley's 7 pin. I'm guessing Kawasaki switched up the 7 pin configuration. The Kawasaki service manual leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to audio wiring. I have spent enough on adapters that I could of just went the whole OEM Kawasaki route. I won't give up as ear canal speakers are my desire.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:02 AM   #7

THE FINAL WORKING SOLUTION! Plug Up.com sells an adapter that works. On their site click on Adapters and Cables category. Click Y1 Audio Only picture of adapter. Choose 7 pin Victory Vision-Can Am option. Attach to motorcycle and enjoy. Thanks to John at J & M Audio for pointing me in the right direction. Kawasaki shares the same configuration as Vision and Can Am, although not the same as Harley 7 pin.