Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 07-10-2012, 02:38 PM   #16

I posted this in another forum before leaving for the 106F heat in Arizona and Utah. I would add that I have a very lightweight tube style mask made out of the same material as the UnderArmour stuff. I saw way to many red and peeling noses. I have learned from experience.

Hot weather riding:
Sheepskin or something like that 'cause the heat will chap your #*#!

Get a Heat Buster for around your neck. You soak it overnight and wear it around the back of your neck in the heat.

A small travel sized Baby Powder to salt those cotton briefs 'cause the heat will chap your #*#! Gold Bond works after if you forget. Seriously, you won't want to get back in the saddle again.

Underarmor or some such non-cotton briefs 'cause they won't chap your #*#! See above, I am serious.

I also wear a mesh jacket over Underarmour-like tees in the heat. These you can throw water on and it works like a Kewl Vest. I also have Cool-max socks for the hot weather because cotton anything holds the moisture to your skin. See above re-chapping!

The 1st 4 days or so I will take some old socks and at the end of the day, I throw them away. See the parts about laundry and chapping.

All the non-cotton stuff mentioned means you can carry less because you rinse out at night and it's all dry in a few hours. Doing too much laundry really chaps my #*#! It also means you can carry more important stuff like whiskey, beer and water. The water you drink all day.

Hammer aka CrocHammer
KawaNow#00988, VROC#26389, VR#2202
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
2006 Black Nomad

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-24-2012, 06:57 PM   #17

http://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/I..._62-66_Hot.pdf

Great article from Iron Butt Magazine. Contains excellent information about riding in the heat.
2003 BMW K1200LT "Magic Carpet" DOA 11/7/2015
VBA #00291
IBA # 41995
DS #320
'08 Elkins, WV; '09 Helen, GA; '09 Custer, SD; '10 Stanton, VA; '11 Maggie Valley; '12 Townsend, TN; '13 Estes Park; '13 Blairsville, GA; '15 Eureka Springs; '16 Helen; '18 Custer, SD

Old 07-24-2012, 07:57 PM   #18

Let me add one to this list above

I carry both a Colorado Cooling vest and their "neck tie"

On a recent trip where I was in temps above 100 for 6 hrs I used both.

BUT, every time I stooped, every 60 miles or so, I would soak the neck tie in ice water for about 5 minutes and then put it around my neck. Felt great and stayed that way for 30-40 minutes.

Most gas stations or fast food shops have a soda machine that disperses ice. That is where I get my ice - its free.