Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 05-09-2012, 08:03 PM   #31

I don't think I'd like boolah boolah...

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-10-2012, 12:54 AM   #32

A good friend of mine t-boned a car three months ago. He has already gotten another bike. Who said he was never gonna ride again?

Curtis "Big C" Swaim
England, Ar
VBA #01920

Old 06-10-2012, 07:21 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmil042370 View Post
I tell anyone that says motorcycle riding is dangerous, that when my time is up and God decides to bring me home it wont matter if im on a bike or in a car my time is up. So I'm going to enjoy my time as much as possible on a bike.
I totally agree, short is to short to not get out and enjoy life. My enjoyment is riding and riding.
1996 800A Customized (SOLD)
2001 1500 Nomad (The Mistress)
2013 Voyager

2014 SE Rally - Elkins, WV
2016 SE Rally - Helen, Ga

Old 06-11-2012, 12:04 AM   #34

Nobody gets out of this alive. Everybody dies, but not everybody really lives. Get busy livin' because you're already dying. Ride smart. Be safe. Live a little in the process.

Whenever I'm asked about my riding I always deny it, stating "hell no I don't ride a motorcycle, those things are dangerous. I just wear the gear to look cool."

Working in healthcare creates a unique dynamic whereby people feel compelled to point out the obvious dangers associated with motorcycling, but they're doing it in an environment where it's obvious that life can be brief and in the end it's all about living a rich and full life.

Nobody's ever lived a rich and full life from the comfort of their sofa.

2007 Vulcan Nomad
in Bad-Assed black.
I call her
"Black Betty"

Disclaimer: The opinion(s) expressed in the above post are just that - OPINION. Chill out, take a breath, and remember this is only an internet forum, and everyone here has an opinion.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:03 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by markclark57 View Post
Wow, did you hear about the guy that drowned??? You should quit drinking water . . .

lol
VBA # 02065 VROC #29763

Sold - 2006 Nomad Green/Silver - Cobra Light Bar & Luggage Rack, Kuryakyn Longhorn Dually Pegs, Phat II Risers, Mustang w/backrest, Vista Cruise, Vance & Hines, PCIII, Kruiser Kaddy, Classic Engine Guard Chaps, Electrical Connection R,B,T LED Conversion, Jay Stephens LED Tail Light.

Current Ride - 15 Road Glide S.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-15-2012, 06:23 PM   #36
Mega-Contributor

After I crashed my Nomad, my wife said something that made me think she thought that I'd quit riding. I told her, yeah for a couple of weeks I might quit. Two weeks later, I had a new bike in the garage.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 07-10-2012, 02:48 PM   #37

I rarely get that from friends. If I do get it, my answer is usually, "Life is a sexually transmitted disease with a 100% mortality rate." I just leave them to contemplate that! Otherwise,

Hammer aka CrocHammer
KawaNow#00988, VROC#26389, VR#2202
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
2006 Black Nomad

Old 08-08-2012, 09:15 PM   #38
Advanced Member

Here's the best I've heard:

Why Do You Ride?

A motorcycle is not just a two-wheeled car; the difference between driving a car and climbing onto a motorcycle is the difference between watching TV and actually living your life. We spend all our time sealed in boxes and cars are just the rolling boxes that shuffle us from home-box to work-box to store-box and back, the whole time, entombed in stale air, temperature regulated, sound insulated, and smelling of carpets.

On a motorcycle I know I'm alive. When I ride, even the familiar seems strange and glorious. The air has weight and substance as I push through it and its touch is as intimate as water to a swimmer. I feel the cool wells of air that pool under trees and the warm spokes of that fall through them. I can see everything in a sweeping 360 degrees, up, down and around, wider than Pana-Vision and than IMAX and unrestricted by ceiling or dashboard. Sometimes I even hear music. It's like hearing phantom telephones in the shower or false doorbells when vacuuming; the pattern-loving brain, seeking signals in the noise, raises acoustic ghosts out of the wind's roar. But on a motorcycle I hear whole songs: rock 'n roll, dark orchestras, women's voices, all hidden in the air and released by speed. At 30 miles per hour and up, smells become uncannily vivid. All the individual tree- smells and flower- smells and grass-smells flit by like chemical notes in a great plant symphony. Sometimes the smells evoke memories so strongly that it's as though the past hangs invisible in the air around me, wanting only the most casual of rumbling time machines to unlock it. A ride on a summer afternoon can border on the rapturous. The sheer volume and variety of stimuli is like a bath for my nervous system, an electrical massage for my brain, a systems check for my soul. It tears smiles out of me: a minute ago I was dour, depressed, apathetic, numb, but now, on two wheels, big, ragged, windy smiles flap against the side of my face, billowing out of me like air from a decompressing plane.

Transportation is only a secondary function. A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

Cars lie to us and tell us we're safe, powerful, and in control. The air-conditioning fans murmur empty assurances and whisper, "Sleep, sleep." Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride.
1st Officer, CMC 093 Ottawa Valley

VBA #02129
VROC #26950
VRAC (Original 10)