Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 07-25-2016, 03:41 PM   #1

Removing wheels on 1700 Nomad

Hey everyone, I've never taken the wheels off any of my bikes for tire changes, always taking the whole bike in. I'm looking to save some money this time so I want to do it myself. If I use a frame bike lift will the bike stay balanced and not fall off the lift when the first wheel is removed or should I support the ends somehow?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-25-2016, 06:05 PM   #2

The rear need a to be blocked.
I use wood underneath the rear tire. Also strap the bike to the lift.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 07-26-2016, 01:53 AM   #3

The easiest way to remove the rear wheel is to take the shocks off, and then drop the bike down on the lift so you can get the axle out above the pipes... Then just raise the bike up so you can roll the wheel out from under. You don't even need to loosen or alter the belt tension adjusters, since the belt will give you enough slack to take it off the rear pulley as the bike is lifted.

I like to live dangerously, so have taken both front & rear wheel's off without the bike strapped down, but make sure you never loosen or tighten any bolts / nuts while it's in the air... Only do that when the wheel you're working on has it's weight on the ground. You should maybe strap the bike to the lift until you're confident with the process.

Drop the bike back down low while the wheels are away in the shop too. Less chance of it toppling that way.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 07-26-2016, 10:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg View Post
The easiest way to remove the rear wheel is to take the shocks off, and then drop the bike down on the lift so you can get the axle out above the pipes... Then just raise the bike up so you can roll the wheel out from under. You don't even need to loosen or alter the belt tension adjusters, since the belt will give you enough slack to take it off the rear pulley as the bike is lifted.

I like to live dangerously, so have taken both front & rear wheel's off without the bike strapped down, but make sure you never loosen or tighten any bolts / nuts while it's in the air... Only do that when the wheel you're working on has it's weight on the ground. You should maybe strap the bike to the lift until you're confident with the process.

Drop the bike back down low while the wheels are away in the shop too. Less chance of it toppling that way.
Ditto what he said. I use a simple scissor jack similar to this one with a 1/2 inch pad of hard rubber on each side for the frame to rest on. It works great and the price was right at Princess Auto. If you are worried about it, just jack it up a little bit and then give the bike a good shake back and forth to ensure it's stable
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plate jack.jpg (18.4 KB, 8 views)

Old 07-27-2016, 07:51 AM   #5
Advanced Member

This is what I do.

2010 Vulcan Voyager, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak, 2009 Vulcan Nomad

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-27-2016, 08:56 PM   #6

Whew

[QUOTE=twowheeladdict;666412]This is what I do.

Is that what it looks like when you tear it apart to do the Head Bearings? My dealer does it without removing the fairing - I may just let them do it. It will take them 3 hours but it will be worth me not having extra parts when I'm done!

Old 07-28-2016, 07:38 AM   #7

Agree with peg

I agree totally with Peg that is the right way to take off the rear wheel. Taking the mufflers off and all the other stuff is just to much when this is so easy.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:24 AM   #8
Advanced Member

[QUOTE=mike07nad;666472]
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
This is what I do.

Is that what it looks like when you tear it apart to do the Head Bearings? My dealer does it without removing the fairing - I may just let them do it. It will take them 3 hours but it will be worth me not having extra parts when I'm done!
I did the head and swing arm berings. I wanted to remove the fairing so I could clean, tighten, and lube everything correctly.

2010 Vulcan Voyager, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak, 2009 Vulcan Nomad

Old 07-29-2016, 06:50 AM   #9

Agree with Peg & Buckey

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckey1313 View Post
I agree totally with Peg that is the right way to take off the rear wheel. Taking the mufflers off and all the other stuff is just to much when this is so easy.
Just did this method last night! +1
Much easier than pulling pipes et al.