Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 09-21-2010, 06:16 PM   #31
Sr. Contributor

Nomads, Harleys, A Canadian Perspective

I have tried the 1700, and I thought it was an improvement. :)
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-22-2010, 09:27 PM   #32

I ride with Patriot Guard and American Legion Riders that have all kinds of bikes. Nobody puts down anyone else for what they ride. I judge a person by their character, not by what they ride. BnG

Dave Mills AKA BiscuitsNGravy
2006 Vulcan Nomad "BiscuitsNGravy"
Kawanow #150
Vietnam @ Jan67-Jan68
Retired USAF
Patriot Guard Riders/American Legion #431

Old 09-24-2010, 08:57 PM   #33
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loafer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy
Thanks for the link Poppy. :)
No problem! We should all save that link for potential future use! haha!

Old 09-24-2010, 11:44 PM   #34

Well, I don't know about Canadian point of view, but here in Arkansas, there is a pretty good mix of imports and HDs. Personally, I think there is nothing quite like a Harley. I love the sound of them, and sometimes even the vibration.
But ....I bought an old "96 Vulcan Classic a few years ago. It had quite a few miles on it (71,000 with only the top end rebuilt). It had a set of Cobra Drag pipes on it, and sounded great. It wasn't a Harley, but it had the retro look, and good sound. I was in love with a Kaw! Yeah! I rode it for 3+ years, and only put a clutch, battery, brakes and tires on it, besides alot of extras. It ran like a champ, but I really began looking at the Nomad and really liked the look. I found out that a friend of mine had a '06 Nomad, and was about to let it go back. I got in that saddle for an amazing price; hey, it was a rescue, alright?
Occasionally I get some grief about riding a "burner", but then I tell them about the Harley that I have at home, that is ALWAYS broke down. It is true! I have a '72 Sportster as well. It's a great bike if you are a good mechanic. Most of the Harley riders I know around here get rid of their bikes before 40,000. I know part of that is the "sickness" of needing a new toy. I know there's some somewhere, but I've not met anyone with 84,000 miles on their Harley with minimal work as my Classic.
I love my Nomad. It's a great bike. It's a shame that quite a few Harley riders won't give a wave to an import rider. But, that can come in handy too. I have a few friends that are patched to outlaw clubs. Since I ride an import, I don't have to bother explaining to them that I don't want to prospect with anyone. I would be asked if I rode a Harley.
I'll probably get another Harley one day, but I'll never trade my Nomad for it. Heck, you have to have at least one bike you can depend on! :)

Perry

Old 09-25-2010, 07:37 AM   #35
Sr. Contributor

A couple days ago a friend of mine that bought a 2009 Ultra new had a bearing go bad in his transmission. May be he had 24K miles on it. It was under warranty, but a friend of his with the same bike had the same problem not long ago. He actually has to wait 2 weeks to get a bearing from Milwaukee...Ok. All manufacturers have issues. Even the BMW I have looked at has had a 4% final drive failure rate. BMW hasn't seen fit to have a recall and no one seems to know why.

All that being said, the only issue I had with my Nomad in 18K miles was an O-ring in a coolant pipe in the front jug started seeping after 6 months and was replaced under warranty. As much as I have a boner for the BMW, the voyager starts to look ok...

This is some leaked photo of the new beemer tourer. http://postimage.org/image/36v5r3ic/ 6 cylinder 1600, 160hp, 130 ft/lbs of torque. Not bad for a 1600...Looks lighter than other touring bikes too. Must be a rocket and cost as much too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobromo
Well, I don't know about Canadian point of view, but here in Arkansas, there is a pretty good mix of imports and HDs. Personally, I think there is nothing quite like a Harley. I love the sound of them, and sometimes even the vibration.
But ....I bought an old "96 Vulcan Classic a few years ago. It had quite a few miles on it (71,000 with only the top end rebuilt). It had a set of Cobra Drag pipes on it, and sounded great. It wasn't a Harley, but it had the retro look, and good sound. I was in love with a Kaw! Yeah! I rode it for 3+ years, and only put a clutch, battery, brakes and tires on it, besides alot of extras. It ran like a champ, but I really began looking at the Nomad and really liked the look. I found out that a friend of mine had a '06 Nomad, and was about to let it go back. I got in that saddle for an amazing price; hey, it was a rescue, alright?
Occasionally I get some grief about riding a "burner", but then I tell them about the Harley that I have at home, that is ALWAYS broke down. It is true! I have a '72 Sportster as well. It's a great bike if you are a good mechanic. Most of the Harley riders I know around here get rid of their bikes before 40,000. I know part of that is the "sickness" of needing a new toy. I know there's some somewhere, but I've not met anyone with 84,000 miles on their Harley with minimal work as my Classic.
I love my Nomad. It's a great bike. It's a shame that quite a few Harley riders won't give a wave to an import rider. But, that can come in handy too. I have a few friends that are patched to outlaw clubs. Since I ride an import, I don't have to bother explaining to them that I don't want to prospect with anyone. I would be asked if I rode a Harley.
I'll probably get another Harley one day, but I'll never trade my Nomad for it. Heck, you have to have at least one bike you can depend on! :)

Perry
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-25-2010, 03:40 PM   #36

The BMW looks nice

I wonder if they lowered the seat any. I can't ride one because they were too tall (and that I wasn't overly crazy about the riding-position).

But, I'll bet that thing is smooth as silk screaming down the road...

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 09-25-2010, 03:50 PM   #37
Sr. Contributor

It looks lower to me. When it comes out, check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson
The BMW looks nice

I wonder if they lowered the seat any. I can't ride one because they were too tall (and that I wasn't overly crazy about the riding-position).

But, I'll bet that thing is smooth as silk screaming down the road...
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11