Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 07-03-2019, 01:25 AM   #1
Advanced Member

Gotta raise the floorboards

I was out for a short lunch ride, on a route with a bunch of roundabouts. Now, I felt I was no where near my lean limits but I was dragging the floorboards, and sometimes the side stand. My other daily rides are a 94 BMW R1100RS and a 07 BMW R1200RT, both of which I don't hesitate to lean over to the point of touching my boot edges.

I don't want to be lean limited by my Vulcan, so I plan to raise the floorboards by at least 1", maybe an 1.5". My plan is to simply weld extensions to the floorboard mounts and produce a set of mount holes lower than the current mount holes. That way the brake pedal/master cylinder moves up with the floorboard on the right. On the left I'll adjust the toe shifter higher for the higher floorboard position. Since I don't like/use the heel shifter that's a non issue. I may have to raise the brake resevoir so to not change the brake hose. I may also check to see if the fork springs are the stock length. The PO had shorter shocks on the rear and I suspect he also put shorter springs in the forks. I'm not interested in the low rider look as it is useless to me. I want a bike that works for me, even if it is a big cruiser. The Vulcans actually handle quite well, so I don't want lean limits on me because of the bike.

Anyone else out there ever done this? If you did, how did you do it?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-03-2019, 08:37 AM   #2

I haven't done it but you may want to look into raising the mufflers.

Old 07-03-2019, 10:27 AM   #3

If it has shorter shocks and springs re place them with factory.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 07-03-2019, 04:35 PM   #4
Advanced Member

Already replaced the rear Progressive shocks that came on the bike with the air assist stock Nomad shocks. The stock shocks are at least 1/2" longer eye to eye. Next will be the front fork work, new fluid, clean them out (it rides a bit harsh), air assist valves, and then check the spring length, which I suspect may be shorter than stock.

I bought this bike used, and it already had all of the typical Vulcan upgrades, from simple little things to costly aftermarket goodies, even has the LED chassis lights and aftermarket horn. So I'd be surprised the PO didn't also install shorter Progressive springs in the front.

I'm only 5'-6" but I am very confident on tall bikes like my BMWs. Getting two feet to the ground is only an occasional convenience, not a dependence for my riding style. So if the bike rides higher, no big deal. In fact, next week I pick up a used Russel Day Long seat set for it, so I may be riding higher on the bike after that.

Old 07-04-2019, 01:02 PM   #5

Let me just say, I embrace all types riding all brands....but the floorboards hit just before any thing else starts dragging....
Right past the floorboards dragging, the pipes at the ass end are pretty well next....so be careful....
That big gal will slide from underneath ya really quick....
Don't go Yankin' and a Bankin' like ole Kenny Roberts on ye ole Nomad unless you dearly love the feel of asphalt rash....
At 800+ lbs, and sand, moisture, anything less than pristene asphalt calling to you along the way....remember....tote bandages and some first aid spray, especially on those on and off ramps....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-05-2019, 10:43 AM   #6
Advanced Member

Aye laddy,...I get the gist of ye message. Good to know that the next hard parts to hit are those ready to lever me free of traction. Yet the floorboards contact so early compared to the actual lean angle, even on the local roundabouts. Maybe things will be better when I sort out the forks and springs.

Perhaps I best accept my Vulcan for what it is and dial it back it bit. I have my BMW flat twins to enjoy for the twisties, which they do very well. My BMWs are so well planted and offer more than enough lean clearance to get right to the edges of the tread patterns, with full grip and confidence.

Old 07-05-2019, 09:54 PM   #7

My wife has a 900 so I know it isn't a direct comparison, but something to consider. When she drags her boards, (it happens sometimes) I cringe because I know that depending on the crown of the road, the lower board mount is what is scraping and not the board itself. That doesn't fold up and it could easily become a pivot point that lifts up the tires off the road resulting in sliding of things that should not be contacting the road. One only has to watch a few videos on YouTube with cruisers doing that, to reinforce that some bikes are not designed to have the same lean angle as others. Do yourself a favor and crawl under the bike to see what parts exactly have rash from dragging. On mine, it is the back edges of the pipes more than anything else. On my wife's it is the board mounts.

Yoda
VBA #01311
SCRC Chapter 289
07 Nomad

Old 09-03-2019, 09:45 AM   #8
Advanced Member

Yes, I have looked under my floorboards to see what is dragging, and luckily on the Classic the boards do pivot up. I just think they are lower than they need to be. Now that I have a Russel Day Long seat on the bike I sit slightly higher (think more like a HD Police bike) which is very comfortable, and I think raising the floorboards at least an inch will further improve my comfort and lean angle.

I have ridden many Victory bikes and the long floorboards are very comfy for various foot positions while riding. Since I don't need floorboards extending much past the shifter and brake I'll also position the boards backwards about 2" to 4" when I raise them. I don't use or even like the heel shifter, so when I move the boards back loosing the heel shifter is no loss to me. With the boards further back I have much more foot position options for longer rides.

Old 09-03-2019, 10:54 AM   #9

The front crash bar will get you right after the floorboards.

Not a good feeling!
VBA 936

Old 09-03-2019, 11:40 AM   #10
Advanced Member

Right and thanks. I am looking at all of this carefully to insure I get plenty of lean angle warning before I contact something hard that could lever a tire off the road. Its not that I ride to max lean angles all the time, but i still think the stock setup limits the bike. On my BMW's I can lean them over to the point either the centerstands contact or the heads are next. Yet the bike is solid and planted. Riding my Vulcan I am more subdued, but still feel the floorboards are too low.