Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rides/Trip Reports/Travel Information

Old 05-09-2013, 07:57 AM   #16

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
This is one scenario that I always worry about whenever I pull the bike apart,,,forgetting or missing one bolt, it only takes one.

Glad that this one turned out okay.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-09-2013, 01:24 PM   #17

Me too! Just glad there was no car or bike coming when I crossed the line into the mountain side...

David Hollinger
2002 Beige 1500 "Hannah2"
VBA # 02195

Old 05-09-2013, 09:34 PM   #18

It could have been worse than no rear brakes, that caliper could have jammed the rear wheel, and that would have not ended pretty in a corner. Sure glad it all worked out, I bet from now on you will double check that every nut or bolt you remove has been properly tightened.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 05-09-2013, 10:59 PM   #19

I am glad it all worked out for you. Close call I would say.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:15 AM   #20

David, buddy....really happy to know you made it past that one. A friend of mine always used to say, the lessons we learn best are the ones we buy. Glad the price of this one wasn't too high. Wow, makes my butt pucker just thinking about it. Gonna make sure everything on the Nomad is well buttoned up....Thank you for the lesson.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-10-2013, 11:34 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc View Post
It could have been worse than no rear brakes, that caliper could have jammed the rear wheel, and that would have not ended pretty in a corner. Sure glad it all worked out, I bet from now on you will double check that every nut or bolt you remove has been properly tightened.
Amen Norm, and Paul you are very welcome. The funny thing about it is I handled it pretty well and it never crossed my mind until I got back to the condo and was telling my wife about it. I was more pissed at having to stop in the middle of my dream ride and do maintenance. Later on it just came over me like a wave of WTF just happened!! Needless to say upon our return to the condo my buddy and I drank for several hours after realizing how lucky I was!
I learned a valuable lesson on self maintenance and will be sure every nut and bolt are fastened and double checked. Hope you all can take that to heart and not have to suffer the Hollinger factor aka the pucker factor! LOL! Next time you work on your ride, check it over afterwords and then do a Hollinger check!

David Hollinger
VBA # 02195

Old 05-10-2013, 12:40 PM   #22

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhollinger View Post
Amen Norm, and Paul you are very welcome. The funny thing about it is I handled it pretty well and it never crossed my mind until I got back to the condo and was telling my wife about it. I was more pissed at having to stop in the middle of my dream ride and do maintenance. Later on it just came over me like a wave of WTF just happened!! Needless to say upon our return to the condo my buddy and I drank for several hours after realizing how lucky I was!
I learned a valuable lesson on self maintenance and will be sure every nut and bolt are fastened and double checked. Hope you all can take that to heart and not have to suffer the Hollinger factor aka the pucker factor! LOL! Next time you work on your ride, check it over afterwords and then do a Hollinger check!
Dave, that is why you are still better off with your own maintenance in certain situations. It could just have easily happened in a shop, the tech gets called off the job for a few minutes, or the canteen truck arrives, and when he gets back, he forgets exactly where he left off. Check twice sleep tight.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 05-11-2013, 10:35 AM   #23
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhollinger View Post
Those are Allen head bolts. Can you use a torque wrench?? I know on the bottom bolt of the caliper assembly we used a big ass torque wrench to remove and replace it. I know I tightened them because I was worried about stripping them out from over tightening. Yes I was damn lucky!
You used a torque wrench to remove bolts?
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 05-13-2013, 12:07 PM   #24

Maybe not Ponch...not sure what it was my buddy was beating the hell out of with the mallet.
Norm, Yeah I still feel more confident doing certain things myself. I dont think my shop guy likes it though. I have been ordering parts online and when I can save on shipping I am still beating his prices and doing the work myself. They still get all the tire service though.

David Hollinger
VBA # 02195