Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 05-09-2011, 02:46 PM   #1

More Potata Potata!

How can I get more of the good sound out of my Vance and Hines baggers? They are a bit too quiet for me!

Thanks!

Dale

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-09-2011, 03:19 PM   #2
Mega-Contributor

More Potata Potata!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale55
How can I get more of the good sound out of my Vance and Hines baggers? They are a bit too quiet for me!

Thanks!

Dale
Bolt them to a Harley?

Seriously, sounds like you need to look into some Ultimate Baffles.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 05-09-2011, 03:20 PM   #3
Advanced Member

More Potata Potata!

If there are baffles you can remove them.

Old 05-09-2011, 03:32 PM   #4

More Potata Potata!

The Ultimate baffles will be your best bet, or you can wrap the existing baffle in sheet metal for a better sound.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 05-09-2011, 04:15 PM   #5

More Potata Potata!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringadingh
The Ultimate baffles will be your best bet, or you can wrap the existing baffle in sheet metal for a better sound.
Hey ringadingh, I did not care much for the ultimate but I'd like to try the sheet metal sound. Do I screw the metal to the baffle or just tie it with a piece of wire? Does the sheet metal go all the around the middle of the baffle? Can you slip down here to Fort Worth and and give me a KNOW session? :)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-09-2011, 04:23 PM   #6

More Potata Potata!

Bill I had the sheet metal around mine but didn't like the sound I still think mine sounds better with just the large end of the baffle bolted in with out the rest of the baffle. But I agree if you want it to sound like a Harley then you are going to have to buy a Harley or a Yamaha they sound better than a Harley or my 1600 Roadstar with V & H longshots with no baffles did.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:37 PM   #7
Top Contributor

More Potata Potata!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Bolt them to a Harley?
Sounds like someone has been brainwashed here. ::)
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 05-09-2011, 04:44 PM   #8

More Potata Potata!

Remove the fiberglass wrap! I have the ultimate baffells myself but with the fiberglass off it sounds pretty good if you want more sound!You can always put it back on!

Old 05-09-2011, 04:52 PM   #9

More Potata Potata!

I cut the perforated center section out of my baffles and joined the two ends together. Bolted this in and love the sound.

It didn't cost anything either.

MT
VBA 936

Old 05-09-2011, 05:18 PM   #10

More Potata Potata!

NO metric bike sounds like a Harley and the ones that try to sound like Harleys sound like tin traps. There are no Japanese twins that come close to the sound of a Harley and this is a good thing. Harleys are designed to make the sound they make and this is why they are slightly inferior in performance to metric bikes and why they vibrate badley at idle. Harley’s valve timing and cylinder bore and stroke are all matched to make their trade mark sound. Metric bikes are made to look close to a Harley and to run as smooth as possible with this cylinder configuration and they will never sound like a Harley no matter which pipes you install or what baffles you try. Every metric V with load pipes makes me cringe with the crappy sound they make. Did I mention I love my Nomad I just understand it will never be a Harley and will never come close to sounding like one. IMHO the stock pipes make the best sound on a Vulcan. Every new Harley engine spends countless hours in sound chambers working out the sound.

Old 05-09-2011, 05:32 PM   #11

More Potata Potata!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyger
Remove the fiberglass wrap! I have the ultimate baffells myself but with the fiberglass off it sounds pretty good if you want more sound!You can always put it back on!
Me like this idea!

Seriously this sounds easy, reversible, and could give me just what I want. The sound now is good, nice and deep, just want a bit more decibels if ya hear what Im shouting!

Dale

Old 05-09-2011, 05:45 PM   #12

More Potata Potata!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringadingh
Hey ringadingh, I did not care much for the ultimate but I'd like to try the sheet metal sound. Do I screw the metal to the baffle or just tie it with a piece of wire? Does the sheet metal go all the around the middle of the baffle? Can you slip down here to Fort Worth and and give me a KNOW session? :)
Id love to come down there and show you how, but its actually quite simple. I use a peice of shhet metal the length of the baffle tube, wrap it around completely and hold it together with 2 or 3 radiator hose clamps. Thats it.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 05-09-2011, 06:51 PM   #13

More Potata Potata!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS Tequila
I cut the perforated center section out of my baffles and joined the two ends together. Bolted this in and love the sound.

It didn't cost anything either.

MT
That is how I had mine and it sounds a lot like the UB but don't cost anything. But trying something different I welded in a set of Harley baffles and didn't like that so I just cut the big end off and bolted it in the pipe and it sounds ok.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:58 PM   #14

More Potata Potata!

The sound of a motorcycle may appeal to someone and not another. For instance, I think most all stock exhausts sound silly, including the Nomad. The engine rattles have more decibels than the exhaust.

My son must have inherited my distaste for stock pipes. He bought a new 900 Classic in 2008 and made them put Cobra pipes on before he would leave the dealership with it.

Whatever bike I own, I would like to change up the sound and find the noise that suits me best. If someone else likes the sound, then great. If not, thats ok too. They can do their's some other way. I tried the Ultimate Baffles and they were too tinny at an idle for me. Other people love em. I think they sound great going down the road, albeit a little too loud.

Thanks ringadingh for the sheet metal instructions. I am going to try it. I have a bunch of sheet metal laying around my place.

I have to agree with oldbikers. The best sounding bike I ever heard was a Yamaha Roadstar with long shot straight pipes. It sounded better than a Harley which almost all of them always sounds better than my Nomad.

Some may think, well why did he buy a Nomad if he likes the Harley and Yamaha sound. Noise is important but it isnt the deciding factor with me. I have owned Harley and Yamaha. Right now I like the Nomad. Mine got totaled last year and I bought another. This stuff is all opinion anyways.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:11 PM   #15
Advanced Member

More Potata Potata!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis49
NO metric bike sounds like a Harley and the ones that try to sound like Harleys sound like tin traps. There are no Japanese twins that come close to the sound of a Harley and this is a good thing. Harleys are designed to make the sound they make and this is why they are slightly inferior in performance to metric bikes and why they vibrate badley at idle. Harley’s valve timing and cylinder bore and stroke are all matched to make their trade mark sound. Metric bikes are made to look close to a Harley and to run as smooth as possible with this cylinder configuration and they will never sound like a Harley no matter which pipes you install or what baffles you try. Every metric V with load pipes makes me cringe with the crappy sound they make. Did I mention I love my Nomad I just understand it will never be a Harley and will never come close to sounding like one. IMHO the stock pipes make the best sound on a Vulcan. Every new Harley engine spends countless hours in sound chambers working out the sound.
The performance difference is about non existent, and half of the Harley's do not shake at idle. Please go ride a counter balanced softail Fatboy. It is as smooth as any Nomad. The others shake at idle due to no counter balancing of the engine and due to the fact that this setup produces the smoothest ride when at cruising speed.

There actually also are a few metric bikes I have heard that sound like and/or better than Harley's. They happened to be Yamaha's as others have said.

Here's one for you:

Harley having sued others over sound should be an indication that others were close. The sound comes from the single crank pin and the firing order as well.

Go listen to any new Harley, they don't even sound like a Harley anymore, at least not like an old Shovel, Pan, or even a carbed Evo.