Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 04-11-2011, 10:02 AM   #1
Advanced Member

Communications Setup -- for a half-helmet

If you're not interested in listening to news, traffic, or music, talking to your passenger or to another bike, or answering phone calls while riding, read no further and save yourself the effort of pointing out how you like your quiet. That is a very valid viewpoint about riding. Now...

I have finally found my ideal setup: Sena Bluetooth Helmet SMH10 www.sena.com for my half helmet, coupled with Comply foam ear buds www.complyfoam.com

I'm now free of my wire tether to my previous J&M 2003CB set-up (The truckers' CB chatter never seemed to be as up-to-date of the commuting conditions as I had thought they would be. Local radio traffic conditions, although often a bit off, tend to be more accurate.)

Once paired up, Sena communicates well with my Smartphone. Its controls on the side of the helmet are designed with motorcycle gloves in mind. Work very well.

When the weather is warm enough, I prefer half-helmets (I now have a Scorpion). The wind noise however, always drowns out normal ear buds. The Comply foam (I bought their noise-reducing earbuds also) fits snugly into the ear canal and works as well as any compression foam, but allows communication. The volume I set before I get on the bike suffices at 65mph--and this is for understanding spoken words!! Phenomenal.

I can make calls using voice dial or answer calls and conduct conversations at 65 mph. The recipient says that it sounds like I'm on speakerphone.

The only drawback so far is that the ear buds dangle from my helmet so I have to be careful to remove them from my ears prior to removing my helmet--which actually removes the buds as well, but I imagine would eventually break the wires.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-11-2011, 10:25 AM   #2
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

I'm looking into that system as well Bob... Keep us updated...

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 04-11-2011, 01:00 PM   #3

Just for info: I have used BlueAnt headsets for a while now My gripes with that system are that the voice activated system isn't adjustable and sometimes you get just wind noise, the battery life is usually tapped out in about 4 hours of use and the range is pretty limited. I'd like to go to a CB based system just for more range and to use bike power instead of a limited battery.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:54 PM   #4

I like the looks of the SPH-10 that's coming out for half helmet.
http://www.senabluetooth.com/product..._menu=overview

Old 04-11-2011, 03:29 PM   #5

Ann and I have the SMH-10's. Our only problems with 1/2 & 3/4 helmets are (1) Wind noise at 60mph + and the mic booms are very flimsy... they do NOT stay put at any speed above 40. I ended up reinforcing them with wire and wrap to stiffen them up, but I'm still not satisfied.

"Taranis" and the Lovely Ann
KawaNOW Oldschool #885
His: 2006 Nomad
Hers: 2008 VN900 Classic LT

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-11-2011, 03:44 PM   #6

This is what I use with my CB radio: http://imcmoto.com/7-pin-half-helmet...adset-kit.html

They also make one that can mount in half helmet with ear pouches. It's made for Harley Davidson radio/intercom, but if you contact them they can make one up for your particular application. Here it is: http://imcmoto.com/harley-7-pin-spea...adset-197.html
- Bernie

Old 04-11-2011, 08:39 PM   #7
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzinger
I like the looks of the SPH-10 that's coming out for half helmet.
http://www.senabluetooth.com/product..._menu=overview
I'm not sure they'll work well at speed. The wind-turbulence that will get under the ear speakers is going to interfere with the sound. They are probably ok for city speeds.

What's gotten lost in this whole discussion is that the Comply ear buds are what makes things work. I've tried various combos of full-face, open-face speakers and ear pieces. That these Comply buds work so well is fantastic. I'm talking better sound and probable ear protection than full-face. I don't have to crank up the sound at highway speeds.

I can adjust the sound to a comfortable level before getting on the bike. Then, with motor and speed, I do NOT have to up the volume until around 60mph. And I'm not talking background music. I listen to news. I don't miss much.

I found a lot of positive reviews for Sena and Comply before I bought. I think I've solved my half-helmet communication.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:27 PM   #8

Not that anybody follows it, but California Law says you can only use a headphone or in-ear phone on/in one ear at any given time.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:36 PM   #9
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

How many of you are going to have CB communication at this rally??

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005