Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 05-15-2009, 08:50 AM   #1

First Breakdown

:(" title="" border="0"/> From: cliff1600 May-14 1:28 pm
To: ALL (1 of 3)

Hi,

Anyone ever have a problem with there rear header pipe failing?

Hi,

Anyone ever have a problem with there rear header pipe failing?

Out riding yesterday when I noticed that the bike was running funny could not figure what was going on then as I was upshifting I heard backfire,this was just when I went by a Yahama Dealer,then it seemed ok so I kept on going,stopped in a auto parts store thinking I might check the plugs to see if one came loose they wanted to much for a ratchet( I realized after I could have used the one on the bike duh).

Decided to keep on going when about ten miles later just as I go by a little hole in the wall place that restores Classis & BMW motorcycles I hear something real bad,I turn around stop in and tell the man I don't know what happened. Tells me to start the bike looks down says I have a hole in my exhaust rear cyl,that is a little pressure off as I thought it was a hole in the rear cylinder.What happens next is being in the right place at the right time. Lloyd gave me a screwdriver tells me to take off the heat shield,When I get that off the pipe was broken all the way through,he was able to weld it together and had me on my way for very little money.

If you are ever in Pittsford, VT, look up Nickwackett Garage say Hi to Lloyd.

Had I stopped at the Dealership I would still be there waiting for a whole exahust system.

Called Vance & Hines today talked to Scott ordered a New pipe that will take maybe a month to get also ,was told that this can happen between 40,000 to 60,000 miles.

thank you Cliff1600

Out riding yesterday when I noticed that the bike was running funny could not figure what was going on then as I was upshifting I heard backfire,this was just when I went by a Yahama Dealer,then it seemed ok so I kept on going,stopped in a auto parts store thinking I might check the plugs to see if one came loose they wanted to much for a ratchet( I realized after I could have used the one on the bike duh).

Decided to keep on going when about ten miles later just as I go by a little hole in the wall place that restores Classis & BMW motorcycles I hear something real bad,I turn around stop in and tell the man I don't know what happened. Tells me to start the bike looks down says I have a hole in my exhaust rear cyl,that is a little pressure off as I thought it was a hole in the rear cylinder.What happens next is being in the right place at the right time. Lloyd gave me a screwdriver tells me to take off the heat shield,When I get that off the pipe was broken all the way through,he was able to weld it together and had me on my way for very little money.

If you are ever in Pittsford, VT, look up Nickwackett Garage say Hi to Lloyd.

Had I stopped at the Dealership I would still be there waiting for a whole exahust system.

Called Vance & Hines today talked to Scott ordered a New pipe that will take maybe a month to get also ,was told that this can happen between 40,000 to 60,000 miles.

thank you Cliff1600

:'(

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-15-2009, 09:27 AM   #2
Mega-Contributor

First Breakdown

This is a widely-known issue with Vance & Hines pipes, except to V&H themselves, who refuse to acknowledge the problem.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 05-15-2009, 12:03 PM   #3
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
First Breakdown

I don't know about you but I'm starting to see double!!!!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 05-15-2009, 04:42 PM   #4
Top Contributor

First Breakdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowndodge "Darksider"

BD,

Lay off of those special cigars. ::)
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 05-15-2009, 06:35 PM   #5
Sr. Contributor

First Breakdown

it's the black flies making you crazy....

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-15-2009, 07:19 PM   #6
Top Contributor

First Breakdown

At least it wasn't a breakdown of the Nomad! Now if Vance & Hines could make a product with the quality of the Nomad. . . .

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 05-15-2009, 07:27 PM   #7

First Breakdown

That same problem has happened to me twice in the past. If yours cracks again as mine did the first time have them weld a patch over the crack, it seems that this is the permanent cure.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 05-16-2009, 09:20 AM   #8

First Breakdown

how long did your weld last?

Old 05-16-2009, 06:25 PM   #9

First Breakdown

The first time I welded just the crack with a mig welder, mine was broken all the way around at the first bend of the pipe. It last only 3-4 weeks if I remember correctly. The second time I welded the pipe the same way again, but used a tig welder instead, then I made a patch and tig welded that over the cracked are. I think my patch was about 3" x 3" and I heated it with a torch and tapped it to form it to the shape of the pipe. Its held well ever since and I doubt it will ever be a problem again.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 05-16-2009, 09:48 PM   #10
Top Contributor

First Breakdown

Thats what I will do IF mine ever breaks.

Old 05-17-2009, 06:46 AM   #11

First Breakdown

The rear pipe on the wife's bike did that last summer. I called V & H and they would not even discuss the problem just offer us a new pipe for something like $88.00. I told them this should be a wararanty repair. The guy wanted to know how long we had had the pipes. When I told him 4 years I heard him giggle and said they where out of warranty. We did the patch fix and it is still holding.