Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 10-17-2009, 10:11 AM   #31

Yellow spot lights??????

And here all this time I thought people bought amber lites cause they were poor. The amber lites are 1/2 the price of the clear lites. hmm..learn something new each day eh...Bdog

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-18-2009, 02:53 AM   #32
Advanced Member

Yellow spot lights??????

Going a different route. Just ordered some yellow Lamin-X film for my fog lights. Will see how that works.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:07 AM   #33

Yellow spot lights??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash
Got them puppies hooked up and like allot!!!!!!!! Have to post pics later!!!!!
Flash, any problems in getting the NAPA amber sealed beams into the CWI bucket? I have the CWI and blew a bulb after only 3 months. I opened it up and replaced it with another H-3 white bulb yesterday, but am thinking about going to the amber sealed beams if this continues to be an issue. I know they need a ground added, but was wondering about how the light fits into the bucket? Thanks.

Old 10-26-2009, 02:23 PM   #34
Sr. Contributor

Yellow spot lights??????

The lamp fits on the retaining spring like any other lamp. There is a need to ground the lamps one way or another. Some guthe lamp mount bolt, while others pass the wire back thru a harness and ground to the frame, and yet others do about that and pick off the ground wire in the main lamp bucket. Some way you gotta pick off a ground.

I ran mine to the frame.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 10-26-2009, 07:49 PM   #35

Yellow spot lights??????

That's a great suggestion about buying glass spray paint for the lenses. Back in the old days when front parking lights went from white to amber, they sold special spray paint to upgrade older lenses. As far as bikes not standing out because many vehicles now have daytime running lights. I agree and wonder if we'd stand out more without lights. Ha

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-29-2009, 02:43 PM   #36

Yellow spot lights??????

OK, i bought these amber NAPA 4415A lamps, they go for almost $16 each. They are sealed beam with two screws on the back of each lamp. I'm assuming that I just connect a positive lead to one screw and a ground wire to the other, on each lamp, and that it makes no difference which screw is which. I also want to continue to use the little blue lite at the top center of the CWI housings, off the positive lead. The positives will run back into the headlite bucket to my exisiting switched relay, and I will probably run the ground wire back into the headlite bucket also. Anyone who has done this and has advice, let me know if there are better ways. Thanks.

UPDATE: changed my mind and ran a ring connector to the mouting bolt on the lamp housing, hope that ground holds up.

Old 10-29-2009, 03:41 PM   #37

Yellow spot lights??????

Sounds like you got it figured out Creed.
The only thing I did when I changed to sealed beams is run the ground to the frame.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 10-29-2009, 06:31 PM   #38
Sr. Contributor

Yellow spot lights??????

I ran my grounds back to the frame as well. With a Cobra light bar I had to pull the grommets and drill a little bigger adding in rubber grommets.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 11-02-2009, 03:08 PM   #39

Yellow spot lights??????

Thanks for the help, I added the NAPA 4415A amber bulbs, which do look nice on the CWI lightbar mounts. Hopefully these sealed beams will provide enough light and outlast the H-3 bulbs that came with my CWI. I was going to ground them in the headlite bucket but decided instead, at least for the moment, to ground them using ring connectors and heat seal, to the bolts that mount the lamps, right above the turn signals. They are working.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:52 PM   #40
Advanced Member

Yellow spot lights??????

Well the Lamin-x looks pretty good, plus it protects my glass from those nasty rocks. Now I need to order some clear for my headlight. Next clear day (that I think about it) I will roll the bike out and take a daylight shot. For now, this is a head on in my garage

New photos now show outdoor shots

Old 11-03-2009, 08:36 AM   #41

Yellow spot lights??????

well what ever they do or don't, I like the look. Don't have them myself but next time one burnsout-- I 'll have them :)

Old 11-03-2009, 08:59 AM   #42

Yellow spot lights??????

Ghost, I like that solution even better than mine of the spray tint on inside of lens! Protection from Rock Chip causing broken glass is a good thing! I'm sure you have a bunch of left over Lamin-x, want to mail me a sheet? ::)

Just kidding, where'd you get it?
2010 Titanium Goldwing
2014 KLR 650 New Edition

Old 11-03-2009, 11:45 AM   #43
Advanced Member

Yellow spot lights??????

Directly from the company. http://www.lamin-x.com/
They had the best selection in sizes. I got a 6" x 12" universal cover. Cut in half, the squares easily covered my 4.5" lenses. I went online to UTube and viewed a movie on installing lamin-x on a similar shaped lens. The only problem area is on the very edges. Being slow and careful, took me about 20 minutes for the pair. - not counting the removal/install time.