Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 11-11-2008, 06:55 PM   #1

November Ride

Well my plans for the long November ride may need to change because of the weather moving toward the east. :-/ It looks like the west or south is the only way to go if I want to stay dry. We may start out going to Dallas to the motorcycle show then the rest is up to the weather. What's there to see in Texas? I have been to San Antonio and am pretty familiar with it but not other parts of Texas. Is there any good sites to see or good beaches to the south after the hurricane? The wife wants to ride so not sure where to go now. We had it planned to go to Key West but they are predicting rain all week. (30th anniversary too).
Zoom45

Bobby Risher
Terry, MS
Kawanow member # 124
South Central Group
2000 Nomad 1500 (carbed) 128,000 miles

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-11-2008, 07:15 PM   #2

November Ride

We've got rain here around Houston for the next 3 days or so. Otherwise, west of Huntsville through the national forest to Anderson and south of there through Montgomery or Magnolia is nice. Mostly, if you come through this area on the weekend you will see and be able to meet LOTS of bikers. It's sort of the weekend thing to do in these areas. Several interesting places to eat or a bar or two along the route. Yankees tavern comes to mind. I'll be out there somewhere this weekend if the weather permits, and it looks like that might happen.

You have been out to San Antonio, but have you ridden west and south of there? If you have time, you really should ride the 3 sisters, see Fredricksburgh, especially if the wife is along. She will like the shopping the site seeing. Enchanted rock is one way to go, and there is an interesting leather and bike shop in Blanco. Of course, if you're in blanco, you might as well see Luchembach.

The Hill country is the way to go if you haven't taken a full tour. My preference would be the Sisters (335,336,337) and Garner. Lots of nice B&B's along the way. Get on the net and go nuts! Let me know if you're passing north of Houston.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:38 PM   #3

November Ride

Never been west or south. What is the 3 sisters?

Bobby Risher
Terry, MS
Kawanow member # 124
South Central Group
2000 Nomad 1500 (carbed) 128,000 miles

Old 11-11-2008, 08:41 PM   #4

November Ride

Zoom, also known as the twisted sisters, they are 3 highways joined to form a loop that has some really awesome switchbacks, uphill, downhill and great overlooks. Start at Leakey, you'll see 337 and 336 junction there. The best ride is 337 west, but you gotta do all three. A great days ride, and if you're feeling adventurous, take a dip in the Frio river. But be warned, it's a little chilly.

If you are in Fredericksburg , you can take a quick run on the Willow loop, it doesn't take long, but is a great little morning eye opener. Take 1631 n to 1323 w and go north on a little nothing of a road out of Willow; follow it around till you hit 16, then head south back into Fredericksburg.

If you are going to hang on till Thanksgiving, there is a HUGE trade days and flea market at the fair grounds in FB.

I believe in Vanderpool there's a country store at the crossroads where you can pick up your
T-shirts saying I rode the twisted sisters.
This is one look from 337.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:22 AM   #5
Top Contributor

November Ride

While your in FB dont over look hitting Lukenbach, TX, quite a hoot. Went there a few weeks back.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-12-2008, 10:00 AM   #6

November Ride

Zoom 45, Happy 30th anniversary! Enjoy the riding, in Minnesota we have the bikes on the battery tender already! Ha!